Iceland eggs.

manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just thought I'd tell you that you can get 15 large eggs in Iceland for £1.75. Everyone's buying some when I'm in there and he told me they're constantly re-stocking the shelf all day. With prices rising, you can't get 6 for that in most supermarkets now and those are good big eggs. We never buy eggs anywhere else now but some days they don't have them.:cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best eggs I've tasted are Waitrose Columbia Blacktail Hens free range eggs. They are so fresh and delicious and light years ahead of ordinary supermarket eggs. Like you, I seldom eat eggs, but when I do I spend a little more and buy these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get 10 mixed sized eggs in Lidl for 85p.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Bet they are caged hen eggs though which are rank though ok when used in cake mixes I suppose.
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best eggs I've tasted are Waitrose Columbia Blacktail Hens free range eggs. They are so fresh and delicious and light years ahead of ordinary supermarket eggs. Like you, I seldom eat eggs, but when I do I spend a little more and buy these.

I fancy those eggs! Just seen the Waitrose advert with the Eggs Benedict at the end. Looks really yummy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fancy those eggs! Just seen the Waitrose advert with the Eggs Benedict at the end. Looks really yummy!

Truely they are delicious. I think that that may be on special offer at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ones in the advert aren't the blacktail eggs they are waitrose essential eggs which are different.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Bet they are caged hen eggs though which are rank though ok when used in cake mixes I suppose.

They taste nice to me fried or hard boiled! Free-range are too dear!
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have to defrost them?.Ba-doom-tish!.
    Ok i won't give up the day job.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Iceland the one place that pushed for non modified chicken feed for hens that produced eggs sold there - vaguely remember some advertising stuff about how their egg yolks were naturally yellow, and not the artificial colour created by adulterated feeds. Give them some credit, then, if they still promote this.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    They taste nice to me fried or hard boiled! Free-range are too dear!

How much more are they seriously? You obviously don't care too much about the hens producing the eggs.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Battery chicken farming was banned throughout the EU last year. The non-free-range eggs you can get come from barn-raised hens, which is not quite so bad as caged hen eggs, though still far from ethical.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much more are they seriously? You obviously don't care too much about the hens producing the eggs.

Well I've seen FR eggs in supermarkets at £2.50 for 6.:eek: That's just ridiculous. We don't eat a lot so 15 lasts us a fortnight about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summat wrote: »
    Wasn't Iceland the one place that pushed for non modified chicken feed for hens that produced eggs sold there - vaguely remember some advertising stuff about how their egg yolks were naturally yellow, and not the artificial colour created by adulterated feeds. Give them some credit, then, if they still promote this.

Stocking eggs from non free range hens does not deserve any credit.
  • Alex482Alex482 Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Well I've seen FR eggs in supermarkets at £2.50 for 6.:eek: That's just ridiculous. We don't eat a lot so 15 lasts us a fortnight about.

Asda sell 6 medium sized free range eggs for £1. They're much more affordable than they used to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Battery chicken farming was banned throughout the EU last year. The non-free-range eggs you can get come from barn-raised hens, which is not quite so bad as caged hen eggs, though still far from ethical.

On the contrary, caged hens are still legal in the uk. The 'enriched cages' are slightly larger with an area to scratch, nest and roost.

Check the box before you buy - it will state if the eggs are from caged hens.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Lidls do 10 medium eggs for, I think, 85p. They're British eggs from caged birds. They taste fine to me. I would buy free range but sometimes they're too expensive for me to buy on my limited budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, I don't have budget constraints, but even if I did, I'd still buy free range and just eat less eggs. I cannot bring myself to buy anything other than free range chicken/egg produce.
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    On the contrary, caged hens are still legal in the uk. The 'enriched cages' are slightly larger with an area to scratch, nest and roost.

Check the box before you buy - it will state if the eggs are from caged hens.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I wish a complete ban would come into force. :( I always buy free-range (and preferably organic) in any case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of eggs, does anyone know of anywhere in Edinburgh (or close) where I can sample the dish called Eggs Benedict? I have wanted to try this since I first heard of it. Thanks! ;)
    Forum Member
    On the subject of eggs, does anyone know of anywhere in Edinburgh (or close) where I can sample the dish called Eggs Benedict? I have wanted to try this since I first heard of it. Thanks! ;)

They are gorgeous - one of my favourite dishes. Can't believe you've never had them - there must be tons of places that do them! Look for bistro-style restaurants, upmarket burger places and anywhere that does a decent breakfast or brunch menu, and you're bound to find them.

I don't know Edinburgh, but a quick Google has revealed that Loudons on Fountainbridge does four kinds of eggs Benedict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I wish a complete ban would come into force. :( I always buy free-range (and preferably organic) in any case.

Me too... I've yet to be convinced that the extra price for organic is justified, but I would definitely like to see free range to be the only legal way to keep poultry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are gorgeous - one of my favourite dishes. Can't believe you've never had them - there must be tons of places that do them! Look for bistro-style restaurants, upmarket burger places and anywhere that does a decent breakfast or brunch menu, and you're bound to find them.

I don't know Edinburgh, but a quick Google has revealed that Loudons on Fountainbridge does four kinds of eggs Benedict.

Thank you for that. I pass this place 3 times a week & never knew they did this dish. I will have to try it now! Looks delicious......
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the Waitrose Columbian Blacktail Hen free range eggs - they are delicious.

Also good are Sainsbury's Taste The Difference golden yolk free range eggs (can't remember the exact name)

Essential Waitrose free range eggs are also pretty good and allow you to have eggs from decently treated hens for a bit less money. You get 9 to a box and they're about £1.40something on offer at the moment.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even in cake mixes its better to use the best eggs one can get. It makes the difference between an 'ok' cake and a 'gorgeous' cake. One's cake will only ever be as good as one's ingredients.

I use Tesco finest bronze hens eggs, and recently I used Tesco finest eggs which had blue shells. Both superb eggs with the richest amber yolks.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Another vote for the Waitrose Columbian Blacktail Hen free range eggs - they are delicious.

Also good are Sainsbury's Taste The Difference golden yolk free range eggs (can't remember the exact name)

Essential Waitrose free range eggs are also pretty good and allow you to have eggs from decently treated hens for a bit less money. You get 9 to a box and they're about £1.40something on offer at the moment.

I've also used these Sainsbury's ones, they are superb.