Just had a police visit because.....

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
.........my 9 yr old son was playing 'ding dong ditch', known in my day as 'ring bang skoosh' but basically means ringing the doorbell (or knocking the door) and running away. They gave him a stern talking to about how their time could be best spent elsewhere while he looked terrified and I told him not to do it again but methinks the real timewaster here is the householder who called the police for what is an age old kids prank!

Comments

• Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to call it knocky nine doors.

It is annoying but calling the police does seem a bit heavy handed.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, the parents used to sort it out when the neighbours called around.

Perhaps neighbours just receive a torrent of abuse, and a few threats, from some parents instead these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    we used to call it knock down ginger, not sure where that name came from!

Anyway, I don't think your neighbour was necessarily out of hand for calling the police. Are they old? lonely? vulnerable? are you sure this is the first time it's happened? or could it be that there's lots of anti social behaviour in the area, and this is the straw that broke the camels back? so to speak?

of course if you know you neighbours well, I would have expected them to have let you know first out of courtesy to give you an opportunity to stop it. If not they may have felt that the only option was to call the police.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knock down ginger we called it. I agree its wasting police time, the neighbour should have complained to you.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to call it knock down ginger, but the plebs should be out arresting actual criminals.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Wow the police are quick in your area! Did your son stand and wait for the police?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    .........my 9 yr old son was playing 'ding dong ditch', known in my day as 'ring bang skoosh' but basically means ringing the doorbell (or knocking the door) and running away. They gave him a stern talking to about how their time could be best spent elsewhere while he looked terrified and I told him not to do it again but methinks the real timewaster here is the householder who called the police for what is an age old kids prank!

Police should do this stuff more. Yeah it sounds a bit Victor Meldrew but it's only timewasting if we think nipping stuff in the bud is a bad idea.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I dunno.

TBH, I'd congratulate the cops involved for taking an interest in something which can be a real nuisance and, apparently, handling it quite sensibly.

Why is it that people seem to overlook the obvious issues in favour of more convoluted ones?

I'd suggest the OP focus on the fact that her offspring is acting like an arse rather than worrying about whether or not the neighbour's complaints are disproportionate or not.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had this with one of my kids, the police told them off and she never did it again. Got told off by me and her dad too.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'd suggest the OP focus on the fact that her offspring is acting like an arse rather than worrying about whether or not the neighbour's complaints are disproportionate or not.

Well the OP did say ...
    ... I told him not to do it again ...

Which, for me, would have been enough to stop a repeat performance.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the householder has spoken to other kids parents before and the reaction made them decide to just call the police this time, maybe the person is vulnerable or had reason to feel threatened by the "game", or maybe the householder just massively over-reacted...

The only certainty is that it wouldn't have happened if the child hadn't been acting stupid in the first place.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we called it "Knock Door Run",, a more self explanatory name than others mentioned above. Never found it that amusing really, and it's hardly a matter for the Rozzers to poke their snouts into.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we called it knock down ginger as well sometimes we went that extra mile and set of car alarms as well:blush:

It all got back to my Mum who grounded me for a fortnight and I was banned from playing with the others who did it
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, am sure he was wetting himself. It is a bit strange that someone rang the police about it but, as someone said, if they felt vulnerable, or things like this are a regular occurrence for them (not necessarily involving your child) then I can understand them wanting to put a stop to it.

I didn't think kids still did that one tbh. None of the kids round here do it.

We weren't really into it when I was wee. Can't remember the official name for it but locally it was called DInger Bell. Only because one of the neighbours - a mad, old drunk (he was great craic, mind) - was called Dinger Bell and we loved any excuse to gulder DINGER! DINGER BELL! (in broad Belfast accents. Boys, we were rough.) Anything involving doors, bells or doorbells was referred to as Dinger Bell round our way. He was a bit of legend.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I don't know which householder called the police and I am not interested in finding out, what is done is done tbh. My son told me that it was a few houses in my street and there are no elderly or obviously vulnerable people here (I do take on board that no-one knows what is really going on in folks lives though to judge whether they are vulnerable or not). To say my son was acting 'like an arse' is a bit harsh imo. This is something that most kids do for a bit of fun. I did tell him not to do it again and I did reinforce that police time could be best spent elsewhere (although I was thinking to myself that it was an overreaction but I didn't tell my son that). Princess TT, he is 9 for gawd sake, acting stupid? Really?
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We called it chapping on doors, I think. I used to get really grumpy on school trips out, when we went abroad with the school when I was 11 or so, as the other pupils would do it all the time at night, chapping on doors and I'd be the one actually trying to get some sleep while there was loud knocking and giggling in earshot - hmph. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call the police about it though, unless it had been complained about and nothing done and it was keeping me up at night, that could potentially be classed as noise pollution perhaps, or anti social behaviour maybe?.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Around here we used to simply call it, wait for it... knock and run.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Police should do this stuff more. Yeah it sounds a bit Victor Meldrew but it's only timewasting if we think nipping stuff in the bud is a bad idea.
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Maybe the householder has spoken to other kids parents before and the reaction made them decide to just call the police this time, maybe the person is vulnerable or had reason to feel threatened by the "game", or maybe the householder just massively over-reacted...

The only certainty is that it wouldn't have happened if the child hadn't been acting stupid in the first place.

Yes, there are always two sides to a story.

This is the kind of stuff an old style local bobby would have dealt with. Not sure its possible to be that "local" anymore.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    ..... "Knock Door Run",, a more self explanatory name......

:D That really made me laugh. That's my favourite so far.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt wrong with a bit of 'knock off ginger'..... They should lighten up.
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Knock down ginger we called it. I agree its wasting police time, the neighbour should have complained to you.

ideally yes, but we live in a time when you don't know how someone will react if you complain. Take the woman who complained to a passenger on the tube he was being too noisy last week, and got a load of grief.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We simply called it chappy.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought police were only allowed to interview or intervene when a criminal act has taken place, how many times has it been mentioned previously that they cannot intervene in neighbour disputes....

I find this amazing under the circumstances.... Cant get them when you want one can you?
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's called cherry knocking in my world.

Weird how there's so many different names for it!
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    We used to call it "Knock - a - door - run" as well. We also used to do hedge-hopping, as in trying to navigate residents' back gardens as quick as possible by vaulting the dividing fences. One particularly famous local run was nicknamed "The Grand National"
This discussion has been closed.