Options

Doc Martin (Part 12 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gh21 wrote: »
    As it's not the usual type of suit that DM wears I was wondering if it's the one that MC wears at the beginning of S5E5 where he's playing the part of the man who's supposed to be DM's father/grandfather(?). I've just had and a look and though we don't see much of the suit but it's got a breast pocket in the right place and the buttons on the sleeve look like they're cloth covered.

I think that's a real good guess. The fabric looks kind of tweedy, too, which is how I remember that suit.

http://www.valetmag.com/ask-valet/style/2009/ticket-suit-pocket-092909.php

This is a bit about the double side pocket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    As it's not the usual type of suit that DM wears I was wondering if it's the one that MC wears at the beginning of S5E5 where he's playing the part of the man who's supposed to be DM's father/grandfather(?). I've just had and a look and though we don't see much of the suit but it's got a breast pocket in the right place and the buttons on the sleeve look like they're cloth covered.

Looks like the right one to me, gh21! Good eye-spying!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    MC is scheduled to be on the Janice Forsyth show on BBC Radio Scotland Saturday morning, sometime between 10:05 and noon British time. Here's a link to the website.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland/programmes/schedules/fm/2012/04/07
    You should be able to listen live, even in the US. And maybe it will be available later, too.

Also, Los Angeles Times reporter Robert Lloyd tweeted a few weeks ago that he'd interviewed MC by phone. Now that KCET has started airing series 5, isn't it time for that interview to be published? I just checked their website, and there's nothing there yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Statesidefan: You need to find a man in your area who is 6'4" tall with a 56" chest, have him put on a white shirt (or any dress shirt he owns), tie and this now famous suit you possess, put a paper bag over his head and click the picture, full lenth--someone on here will identify when this was worn.

Great, this is getting harder and harder. I'm now trapped in the Imperative of the Suit. Who would have thought when I bought the suit that it would demand I find a random hunky 6'4" man who doesn't mind a paper bag on his head to model it for me?
    :eek::p;)
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC is scheduled to be on the Janice Forsyth show on BBC Radio Scotland Saturday morning, sometime between 10:05 and noon British time. Here's a link to the website.
    You should be able to listen live, even in the US. And maybe it will be available later, too.

Also, Los Angeles Times reporter Robert Lloyd tweeted a few weeks ago that he'd interviewed MC by phone. Now that KCET has started airing series 5, isn't it time for that interview to be published? I just checked their website, and there's nothing there yet.

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about the LA Times interview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Great, this is getting harder and harder. I'm now trapped in the Imperative of the Suit. Who would have thought when I bought the suit that it would demand I find a random hunky 6'4" man who doesn't mind a paper bag on his head to model it for me?
    :eek::p;)

You are too funny!:p:D I am trying to imagine a posting on Craigslist and how many responses you would get!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're quite good! It's hard to see the suit's detail, but this looks close to the right color and weave. Now another detail: actually the BP suit has the chest pocket sewn shut, so it is completely unusable - in this scene he has a handkerchief in it. Perhaps it was sewn shut after wearing? Also, can anyone make out whether there are four, not three, buttons on the sleeve?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I think at that point DM was feeling guilty about leaving her, not getting too emotionally involved (as yet) in the forthcoming child, and also this is an indication he realized how short-sighted LG was in the money department. As S5E1 shows, crib not put together, no carriage, almost instantly ran out of nappys. Money from him, he felt, was essential and honorable, given he desperately wanted to get back to being a surgeon.

I don't think he was the type to shirk his responsibility financially, I think that was apparent. I think he needed to do that to relieve the guilt of leaving. As for Louisa she was living at the pub for much of the time and the baby was early so maybe that was why she was unprepared.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Thanks NewPark! The Queen looks like she's thinking, "Omg, I can't believe that I'm shaking hands with Doc Martin! He's here, right now, standing in front of me. Go away Phillip!". ;):):D

lol :D
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tweeted him about when we can read the interview and he sent a response.

LATimesTVLloyd Robert Lloyd:

This next week. I'm transcribing now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone.
    Sorry to jump in totally off topic, especially as I havent been around to read the thread lately (real life has been a bit much lately), BUT I just read this article and think you people are the group that can answer my question.

I love Martin Clunes and the Doc Martin series and actually everything he has ever done. I think I just like watching him act! Anyway, I also really like Stephen Tompkinson and everything I have seen him in. I've been dying to find a new DCI Banks series(hard to do here in canada) and was shown this article just tonite.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/news/a372085/dci-banks-lands-second-series-doc-martin-star-cast-as-new-partner.html

Does this mean that Caroline will be acting in both my favorite TV shows and with both my favorite actors???
    Not sure if I love her or hate her! :D

Not sure if this is recent/true or not but if true it would make my day!

:)
    thx, sorry to interrupt. As I said I have not caught up here so if you have already discussed it please forgive me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about the LA Times interview.

That means I'm going to have to get up at 4am! :eek: Like that's gonna happen! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me myb wrote: »
    I love Martin Clunes and the Doc Martin series and actually everything he has ever done. I think I just like watching him act! Anyway, I also really like Stephen Tompkinson and everything I have seen him in. I've been dying to find a new DCI Banks series(hard to do here in canada) and was shown this article just tonite.http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/news/a372085/dci-banks-lands-second-series-doc-martin-star-cast-as-new-partner.html:)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the DCI Banks series. I have read all the books and they are excellent, but I was really disappointed by the TV adaptation I'm afraid - mainly because of the way the DCI Banks character was played - and I wasn't alone, quite a few of the critics didn't like it either. Stephen Tompkinson seemed to be trying to create a DM of his own -all scowls and bad temper, but it was so unsubtle and superficial and just isn't how it was written in the books, and to my mind, he got nowhere near the truth of the character as written by Peter Robinson. I was surprised that a second series was comissioned because it didn't get particularly good viewing figures here either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me myb wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Sorry to jump in totally off topic, especially as I havent been around to read the thread lately (real life has been a bit much lately), BUT I just read this article and think you people are the group that can answer my question.

I love Martin Clunes and the Doc Martin series and actually everything he has ever done. I think I just like watching him act! Anyway, I also really like Stephen Tompkinson and everything I have seen him in. I've been dying to find a new DCI Banks series(hard to do here in canada) and was shown this article just tonite.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/news/a372085/dci-banks-lands-second-series-doc-martin-star-cast-as-new-partner.html

Does this mean that Caroline will be acting in both my favorite TV shows and with both my favorite actors???
    Not sure if I love her or hate her! :D

Not sure if this is recent/true or not but if true it would make my day!

:)
    thx, sorry to interrupt. As I said I have not caught up here so if you have already discussed it please forgive me.

Yes, CC will be in the next season of DCI Banks. I think it's supposed to air in UK in the Autumn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member

Thanks for this umbrellagirl, I've just listened to it on the Iplayer
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d84mg/Janice_Forsyth_07_04_2012/
    The interview starts at 20.00 and goes on for nearly 15 minutes and there's a BIG reveal at the end. I'll put it as a spoiler in case you prefer to listen to the whole thing first
    We're going to marry, that's pretty much where we start from
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interview starts at 20.00 and goes on for nearly 15 minutes and there's a BIG reveal at the end. I'll put it as a spoiler in case you prefer to listen to the whole thing first

It's a really charming interview. He sounded relaxed and friendly and not at all averse to talking about DM.
    over the moon about the big reveal --Maybe after all they will combine the christening with the wedding -- wonder why he chose to reveal this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member

Is it my imagination or do I hear angels singing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    simplyred wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear what you think of the DCI Banks series. I have read all the books and they are excellent, but I was really disappointed by the TV adaptation I'm afraid - mainly because of the way the DCI Banks character was played - and I wasn't alone, quite a few of the critics didn't like it either. Stephen Tompkinson seemed to be trying to create a DM of his own -all scowls and bad temper, but it was so unsubtle and superficial and just isn't how it was written in the books, and to my mind, he got nowhere near the truth of the character as written by Peter Robinson. I was surprised that a second series was comissioned because it didn't get particularly good viewing figures here either.

I had the advantage of seeing the show before reading the books. I liked the show a lot! You have to remember the actor doesn't do the character as written in the book, but the character as written in the screenplay.
    I am now reading the books and am loving every one.

Yes, I see what you mean about the truth of the book character not being the same, but maybe the writers will incorporate more of that this next time.
    eta: seriously, he doesn't even fit the description of the books character -short-dark haired. LOL But now to me of course DCI Banks is Stephen Tompkinson and I can even hear his voice when reading the book. :)
    My problem is that I also love to watch Stephen Tompkinson and though I know he is not everyone's cup-of-tea he has something I really enjoy watching. I am hoping his Wild At Heart continues too.
    Also I really loved the DCI shows and am excited for the next ones.
    I guess if people haven't read the books first, the show is new so can be enjoyed on its own merits.

Same thing happened with me and Jeeves & Wooster. I had soaked up the books for years and years, so the screen show took some getting used to. But I enjoy it too.

Thanks for the confirmation madmother. I bet Caroline does a terrific job. But I hope the Doc Martin series goes on and on and she will always be Louisa to me. :)

Thanks for the link umbrellagirl. :)
    Doncha just love his voice! Lots of interesting tidbits there. The next shows should be the best ever!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, OMG, OMG! :eek::o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was interesting that he said that he and others of the creative team had not foreseen how much interest there would be in the love story. I suppose that S3 marks the time when they decided to more fully invest in. A good decision, because I think it must have prolonged the life of the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting that he said that he and others of the creative team had not foreseen how much interest there would be in the love story. I suppose that S3 marks the time when they decided to more fully invest in. A good decision, because I think it must have prolonged the life of the series.

I jumped into the forum, back in early February, in response to a question by Han96. The question was what episode or episodes brought me into Doc Martin “fandom”. What I said was that my initial impression, watching series 2 episode 1, was that the interest/ conflict with the local school teacher would be, at best, just a part of the general setting for the story, like all the other locals and the village itself. I made this assumption based on my experience with most conventional television comedy/ dramas. However, as I watched more episodes, I “discovered” a story with a real relationship arc - complex, deeply felt, honest and enduring. Maybe MC, PB, and the writers made that discovery along with the rest of us! I find that very appealing, actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's what happens at the end of S6 that will be interesting:eek::confused:
    How about a poll on the website MM?:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Stephen Tompkinson has been in two other productions with Caroline Catz--Season One of All Quiet on the Preston Front (in 1994) and in In Denial of Murder, a BBC recounting of a murder and the exoneration of the person originally convicted of it. It is based on actual events. (It isn't on a DVD, however--though I have a copy of the broadcast.) It isn't clear whether Tompkinson and Catz were ever on the set at the same time--they don't appear in any scenes together. She was the murder victim (though there are a large number of flashbacks of the events that led up to the murder) and Tompkinson was the newspaper editor who, two decades later, investigated whether the alleged murderer was wrongfully convicted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    It's what happens at the end of S6 that will be interesting:eek::confused:
    How about a poll on the website MM?:D:D

Haven't had time to listen yet - mad day. :)

Can you PM me your poll question, SR? Thanks. :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a side of MC I like - still funny and bawdy. When the interviewer asks something about whether he likes the medical side of things with DM, Martin responds: "Well I like to keep my hand in with the gynecology. . .(they laugh). . .I have my own stirrups." :o:rolleyes::p
This discussion has been closed.