Options

The best Christmas song of the 21st Century?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I thought The Darkness were going to usher in a new era of British rock dominance like Pink Floyd, Queen, Def Lepard, Black Sabbath & Iron Maiden did before them but sadly it was right back to crappy RnB, Boybands and Rap soon after.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I thought The Darkness were going to usher in a new era of British rock dominance like Pink Floyd, Queen, Def Lepard, Black Sabbath & Iron Maiden did before them but sadly it was right back to crappy RnB, Boybands and Rap soon after.

There were a lot of successful indie rock bands around that time that blew The Darkness out of the water as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    As it's still quite early in the 21st Century, could I modestly suggest that this song, in the right hands, could eventually join the pantheon of the greats?

Mulled - A Perfect Christmas [2013]
    mulled.bandcamp.com/track/a-perfect-christmas

(Okay, I'm extremely biased, being one of its composers, but I really do think it has something. Our recording won't reach legend status, but we're hoping someone might pick it up and run with it in future. Oh, and we're working on a video that will hopefully be ready for mid-November.)

For what it's worth, I really love Christmas songs in general and have to agree with the sentiment that there hasn't been much to shout about recently in terms of "new classics".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eoghan1 wrote: »
    As it's still quite early in the 21st Century, could I modestly suggest that this song, in the right hands, could eventually join the pantheon of the greats?
    As someone who owns something near 100,000 Christmas songs (no - don't ask), could I just say that this is one of the finest indie happy Christmas songs I have ever heard. It's not destined to be a money making Christmas classic, yet it should be considered in Indie terms at least as good as the legendary Belle and Sebastian John Peel Christmas session.

Don't be modest. Just take a bow :cool::cool::cool:

Ermm ... pm me. It might be useful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As someone who owns something near 100,000 Christmas songs (no - don't ask), could I just say that this is one of the finest indie happy Christmas songs I have ever heard. It's not destined to be a money making Christmas classic, yet it should be considered in Indie terms at least as good as the legendary Belle and Sebastian John Peel Christmas session.

Don't be modest. Just take a bow :cool::cool::cool:

Ermm ... pm me. It might be useful

Wow. That's very kind of you. :o

You know, I just have a feeling about this one, that it ticks a lot of the right boxes and has the potential to be "do it" for a lot of people.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
    Forum Member

...and the power of love, a crimbo song?... in what way?

Ever seen the video mate ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever seen the video mate ??
    See post #46. A song isn't a Christmas song just because the video has Christmas iconography. The record 'Power of Love' has nothing to do with Christmas.
    Just as 'I heard it through the grapevine' isn't a song about California raisins' or 'Rio' about sailing.
    If I made a cutesy Christmas video to Dizzy Rascal 'Something Really Bad', would that make it a Christmas song?
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So this week has provided us with two brand new Christmas songs, and I actually think both are surprisingly great and could be hits.

First to premier was Kelly Clarkson's new single, Underneath The Tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfF10ow4YEo

And today Leona Lewis' new single leaked unfortunately, but I couldn't resist and listened to it anyway. It's called One More Sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQdyMFcIps

So what do you think of them?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ne Yo-I Want to Come Home For Christmas
  • Options
    virginskyfanvirginskyfan Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    Chris de Burgh - A Spaceman Came Traveling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49k1EQdoMeU

21st Century?
  • Options
    flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Mariah Carey - Christmas Time Is In The Air Again

And yeah, of course Mariah's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is the best Xmas song of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eoghan1 wrote: »

(Okay, I'm extremely biased, being one of its composers, but I really do think it has something. Our recording won't reach legend status, but we're hoping someone might pick it up and run with it in future. Oh, and we're working on a video that will hopefully be ready for mid-November.)

For what it's worth, I really love Christmas songs in general and have to agree with the sentiment that there hasn't been much to shout about recently in terms of "new classics".

Happy to report we now have a nice little video for this song:

http://youtu.be/RmdY6lPKAjQ
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=899oL2qVp44

It has to be up there. It's absolutely fantastic. Out on Sunday if anyone wants it.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best Christmas songs were written in the 20th Century. Most will outlive anything written so far in this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best Christmas songs were written in the 20th Century. Most will outlive anything written so far in this one.

Yes. But also, most of the Christmas songs written in the 20th century will be forgotten.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    The Florin Street Band - My Favourite Time of Year

Should have been much, much bigger.

If I remember correctly they are quite local to me. I'd like to see that do well this year. Apparently they are trying to fund a music video for it this year.
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    This is the only Christmas song of the 21st century I love. It has a touching melancholic feel to it. The Darkness and Bo Selecta! efforts are cheap and cheerful, I suppose. :)

Christmas Lights is the best of the 21st century and it's not even close. This is purely my opinion mind you. The Darkness song is awful.
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naughty Christmas (Goblin In The Office) - Fat Les

www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOzxYX7Tnk
  • Options
    Janey BJaney B Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Something Stupid by Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_cyK7cj5RE
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I'm going with this year's Kelly Clarkson effort Underneath The Tree - it's just perfect. Gloriously cheesy and fun.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Micknsiv wrote: »
    Christmas Lights is the best of the 21st century and it's not even close. This is purely my opinion mind you. The Darkness song is awful.

Christmas Lights deserves a lot more attention than it has gotten since it's original release. A mesmeric little song. :)
  • Options
    wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Neonoptic wrote: »
    Mariah Carey - Oh Santa!

Omg yes!!! :D:D
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis - One More Sleep - absolutely amazing!

Video out today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-_1-uJ6Ml4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

I also like Kate Winslet 'What If' from A Christmas Carol film and the video of clips is kind of Christmas like.

I adore that song. A perfect pop career from Kate... release something brilliant, then nothing else, ever! :D

On a more light-hearted note, who could not love The Wombats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQAmwRM-vXU