Options

EastEnders - The end of the Carters?

Comments

• Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would only have made sense to do so there if the incident had begun there.

It's an EE trope to manufacture arguments in the Vic so that everyone gets to hear them. So it could have been done if they wanted to.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    It's an EE trope to manufacture arguments in the Vic so that everyone gets to hear them. So it could have been done if they wanted to.

I agree with you. It would have been so much better.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Fair point :D
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are going to end up with only Shirley & Mick and possibly Johnny but Ted Riley could quit if Johnny is not axed- He really has done nothing since he was recast.

Tina and Sylvie will be going soon I am sure and of course Linda will be off screen for at least six months to a year.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mick, Shirley and Johnny will stck around
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Mick has his faults but he is the last person you'd expect to see running after a woman in the street shouting things like 'being a lezzer for you was a lifestyle choice'.

It was Shirley that instigated the row. In general she's more highly strung than Mick.

As for whether we're seeing the end of the Carters, it's possible although (if enforced) I would see it as a foolish move on SOC's part given their popularity. Like elly said on another thread, it's just as possible that SOC wants a streamlined version of the family.

I agree.

I feel mick and Linda are being harshly judged by tonight's episode.

Shirley was vile. Mick may have faults but he would never have spoken to Sonia like shirley did. Nor would Linda.

Mick and Linda have a business to run. Tina and Shirley should be looking after Sylvie.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to bring MyJohnny back. the new one is awful. zsa zsa and Carly returns for the gap without Linda and then Axe Tina and Mick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see Zsa Zsa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mick, Shirley and Johnny will stck around

Johnny urgently needs some character development.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see Zsa Zsa

No thanks.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I agree.

Shirley was vile. Mick may have faults but he would never have spoken to Sonia like shirley did. Nor would Linda.

Mick and Linda have a business to run. Tina and Shirley should be looking after Sylvie.

Don't be so sure. Mick is 100% fake and I'm sure that if Sonia walked into the Vic he would've refused to serve her.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but it's an overreaction in the extreme to say that this is their end.

Btw, Linda is only leaving temporarily because of Kellie Bright's pregnancy...

Buster, Lee and Babe aren't going to massively dent what happens to Mick, Linda and Shirley. Much as I like Buster and Lee.

I doubt SOC is gonna get rid of Johnny so quickly. Tina might be at risk, but for all we now they could bring back Zsa Zsa for her. I suppose there's now more than enough space for even a Carly return. Wouldn't mind seeing scenes between her and half-brother Mick.

They have been shown up recently as selfish (the Sylvie stuff) and lacking basic judgment (keeping Babe around despite trafficking newborn babies and blackmailing the Cokers) but what the Carters have done pales in comparison to the years of selfishness and hypocrisy of the Mitchells and the Beales.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking about this recently and I don't think Tina is irredeemable. Last night especially, she seemed quite mature about the breakup even though she's clearly hurting. I wonder if SOC's plan is to take the Carters back to their original dynamics, before Lee arrived, but essentially replacing Nancy with Tina as the headstrong voice of reason? The Carters were arguably at their peak in the first few months, before all the hangers-on turned up so this could potentially be a nice little set up for the family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tina is dreadful and needs to go asap.

Sylvie is only a guest character and will be leaving soon anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny's crying out for a Storyline
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it far-fetched that at their age, Lee and Whitney are getting the hump from Linda about moving out.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Buster, Lee and Babe aren't going to massively dent what happens to Mick, Linda and Shirley. Much as I like Buster and Lee.

I doubt SOC is gonna get rid of Johnny so quickly. Tina might be at risk, but for all we now they could bring back Zsa Zsa for her. I suppose there's now more than enough space for even a Carly return. Wouldn't mind seeing scenes between her and half-brother Mick.

They have been shown up recently as selfish (the Sylvie stuff) and lacking basic judgment (keeping Babe around despite trafficking newborn babies and blackmailing the Cokers) but what the Carters have done pales in comparison to the years of selfishness and hypocrisy of the Mitchells and the Beales.
    I agree.

Why can't people just enjoy the scenes/appreciate that they've got what they wanted in that the Carters flaws are being called out without speculating over what the EP thinks of them and whether it means they're on their way out.

The Carters are an enjoyable family flaws and all. I'm actually glad their flaws are becoming more obvious (though still small fry in comparison to other characters as you say Noughties) as nobody's perfect. They're essentially decent people but it's nice that they have a bit of an edge too.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Get rid!!! Johnny seems to be getting worse, all a bunch of hypocrites.

Linda isn't too bad and I don't want them to leave they are popular on facebook and twitter. Kellie Bright is one of the best actresses and she is lovely in real life why should she loose her job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    I agree.

Why can't people just enjoy the scenes/appreciate that they've got what they wanted in that the Carters flaws are being called out without speculating over what the EP thinks of them and whether it means they're on their way out.

The Carters are an enjoyable family flaws and all. I'm actually glad their flaws are becoming more obvious (though still small fry in comparison to other characters as you say Noughties) as nobody's perfect. They're essentially decent people but it's nice that they have a bit of an edge too.

I agree they are decent people at least none of them have murdered anyone like Ronnie and Stacey and at least none of them have covered up for a murder so they are decent people why is it always the Carters people complain about
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've become so unlikeable. I'm fed up with their moralising and preaching when all they do is behave like scumbags. Johnny's "but what about the poor people" monologue tonight was eye-roll worthy. The writers are trying so hard to ram down our throats how "good" they are.

I groaned and said NOT HIM AS WELL
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think those speculating that we will see a streamlined Carter family are probably right. As much as I find Mick annoying I don't deny that he's a popular character, and that he and Linda are one of the few DTC characters to have made a major impact. This pretty much guarantees their place in the show for the foreseeable future.

Shirley is also a good character and could survive with or without her family around.

Tina and Johnny are the obvious weak links here. Ted Reilly is a very poor actor and his portrayal of Johnny is awkward and unconvincing. Tina hasn't convinced in either her domestic violence storyline or her relationship with Sonia, so I'd say the character doesn't have anywhere else to go.

I think a Carter unit of Shirley, Mick and Linda, with occasional appearances from Babe, is where we're heading.

That is true, but the Mitchells and Beales aren't portrayed as the "perfect family" in the way the Carters have been since their arrival. The Mitchells are scumbags who know that they're scumbags. Ian has also always been selfish and nasty. These characters accept their faults which makes them seem human and easier to like.

I welcome the fact the writers are exposing the cracks in the Carter family facade, but I hope we're going to see a bit less of the moral high ground-ism from them at the same time.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda isn't too bad and I don't want them to leave they are popular on facebook and twitter. Kellie Bright is one of the best actresses and she is lovely in real life why should she loose her job?

We all like different characters, I'm not a fan of the Carters. Anyway if she's one of the best actresses I'm sure she'll find work just like she did when she wasn't in EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB. I agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    We all like different characters, I'm not a fan of the Carters. Anyway if she's one of the best actresses I'm sure she'll find work just like she did when she wasn't in EE.

But Linda is a good character she isn't too bad and she is not evil. I think the Carters are much better than Ian, Jan, Phil and Sharon are bigger hypocrites and no one keeps making threads about them its always about the Carters.. Do you think Kellie can act? Did you feel sorry for Linda back in October 2014 when she was raped by Dean and did you feel sorry for her when Dean was found not guilty of attempted rape? Does Kellie deserve to loose her job at Eastenders? The Carters are not murderers and have not covered up a murder and didn't send an innocent man to prison. The Carters are popular on Facebook and Twitter. Do you family like the Carters? Linda, Shirley and Mick are the best Carters IMO especially Linda. I have met Kellie Bright twice and she is so lovely and I would hate it if someone axes Kellie as Linda and I have met Danny Dyer and he is lovely as well. Do you want to see my Meet and Greet Photos?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.

I agree with all of this. I know Mick and Linda are not saints but they are better characters than Ian, Jane and Phil IMO. Ian didn't care that a innocent man was sent to prison for killing Lucy and he covered up and Jane covered up from the start and they should be punished imo.