Advice on car pound?

benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had such excellent advice here I thought I would run this past some of you car experts.
Many years ago I sold my sons car for him as he had moved abroad and asked me to deal with it.
I duly sold it through Auto trader for £10k. It was bought on a bank transfer cheque. When I tried to cash it the police arrived and questioned me as it was a fake. So an alert was sent out on a stolen vehicle , however Arnold Clarke bought it and resold it. The police traced it and impounded it and placed it in a repossession yard that was charging £20 per day . By the time I was notified where it was and that Arnold Clarke were contesting ownership I could not afford to fight the case nor pay for months of parking so I let it go. What is the law regarding this does anyone know.
The police never updated me, I've no idea what happened to the car nor the criminal .

Comments

• Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I think you'd need to ask the police.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    I think you'd need to ask the police.

The police have been remarkably coy !

I followed it up for a couple of years with no success.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I've had such excellent advice here I thought I would run this past some of you car experts.
    Many years ago I sold my sons car for him as he had moved abroad and asked me to deal with it.
    I duly sold it through Auto trader for £10k. It was bought on a bank transfer cheque. When I tried to cash it the police arrived and questioned me as it was a fake. So an alert was sent out on a stolen vehicle , however Arnold Clarke bought it and resold it. The police traced it and impounded it and placed it in a repossession yard that was charging £20 per day . By the time I was notified where it was and that Arnold Clarke were contesting ownership I could not afford to fight the case nor pay for months of parking so I let it go. What is the law regarding this does anyone know.
    The police never updated me, I've no idea what happened to the car nor the criminal .

A £10,000 car "many years ago"?

It's probably long scrapped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A £10,000 car "many years ago"?

It's probably long scrapped.

I'm sure it has been,but who scrapped it ?
    It was the lack of clear communication that annoyed me.
    No follow up on the theft and fraud and no resolution , also a complete silence about why the dealership bought a stolen car and sold it on and still tried to claim ownership .
    But it was a longtime ago . I'm sure the owners of the pound resolved it.!
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably after a while it was probably auctioned off to pay for the storage bills etc.

you could always use the askmid db to see if its still on the road but i doubt you'd have any legal claim on the vehicle as they'd probably of considered it abandoned since having no contact with you.
    Forum Member
    Yes, you can certainly check on askmid.com to see whether the car is currently insured.

However, a better check will probably to see whether the car has any sort of MOT history. This will tell you much more:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Of course, you could always submit a request to the DVLA for the owners particulars, thought explaining why you are requesting the information could be fun!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Yes, you can certainly check on askmid.com to see whether the car is currently insured.

However, a better check will probably to see whether the car has any sort of MOT history. This will tell you much more:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Of course, you could always submit a request to the DVLA for the owners particulars, thought explaining why you are requesting the information could be fun!

Thanks for that info, it never occurred to me . I would be very curious to see what happened to it. And I'm sure it wasn't entirely above board.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Thanks for that info, it never occurred to me . I would be very curious to see what happened to it. And I'm sure it wasn't entirely above board.

Were you down as the Registered Keeper of the car, or was your address on the V5C registration document?

If neither of those are the case then it is quite possible that any correspondence about the car went to whoever and whatever address was on the V5C, or whatever version the DVLA has.

Therefore it's quite possible they were sending out letters that you never received. And probably without any reply back to them, or at best "return to sender" or two. In that case they probably gave up and decided that the Registered Keeper was no longer interested in getting the car back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Were you down as the Registered Keeper of the car, or was your address on the V5C registration document?

If neither of those are the case then it is quite possible that any correspondence about the car went to whoever and whatever address was on the V5C, or whatever version the DVLA has.

Therefore it's quite possible they were sending out letters that you never received. And probably without any reply back to them, or at best "return to sender" or two. In that case they probably gave up and decided that the Registered Keeper was no longer interested in getting the car back.

My address was on the reg document. I had a few follow ups from the police , I involved a solicitor to mediate for me with Arnold Clarke but all to no avail , it was just stalemate .
    I just gave up as anything I did was going to be costly and I couldn't. Afford it.
    What I didn't realise at the time is that the police put the car out to an Independant co who garage it at huge cost .
    Forum Member
    Removed post since it's now no longer relevant as the OP has reposted.