Edit button issue

NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,188
Forum Member
I made a new thread and want to go back and update the original post with new information from users, however the edit function seems to have disappeared.

How does one edit a post around here?

Comments

• AetnlaAetnla Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The edit button is only available up to 30 minutes after posting.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    There is a time limit after which you are no longer allowed to edit a post you have made - five minutes I think. If you have new information to add then use the Reply button.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    There is a time limit after which you are no longer allowed to edit a post you have made - five minutes I think. If you have new information to add then use the Reply button.
    No, as said above, it is 30 minutes.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,188
    Forum Member
    Oh i see! Well that thread is now pointless then lol. I thought we could edit original posts to threads for as long as we'd like as you can on other forums. I'll leave it to fester, thanks anyway.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    That's one of my main grouses about FB is that you can go back and edit posts after someone has replied ~ people can totally change the meaning of a thread ~ should never be allowed once someone has replied.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    Oh i see! Well that thread is now pointless then lol.
    There is nothing to stop you adding a new post to it to clarify whatever you need to. You just cannot edit your existing posts.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »
    That's one of my main grouses about FB is that you can go back and edit posts after someone has replied ~ people can totally change the meaning of a thread ~ should never be allowed once someone has replied.

it shows all the edits.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it shows all the edits.

It shows that it's been edited but it doesn't show the original text and what has been changed. Unless there's some way of going back to check that I don't know about.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    Yes that's the point, obviously most edits are to correct typos etc but you do/can get malicious edits which do change the whole sense of the post.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    It shows that it's been edited but it doesn't show the original text and what has been changed. Unless there's some way of going back to check that I don't know about.

it does show the text that has been changed when you click the drop down but sometimes you have to look hard because it might just be adding an apostrophe or correcting a speeling.

at least it does on mine.

edit: i`m on a laptop, it will probably be different on a phone.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does show the text that has been changed when you click the drop down but sometimes you have to look hard because it might just be adding an apostrophe or correcting a speeling.

at least it does on mine.

edit: i`m on a laptop, it will probably be different on a phone.

Oh ok I never realised that - I'll have to check that out :)