Atlantis - Series 2 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it - they've upped their game significantly from the first series.

I'll be back with it next week :cool:
  • sergeiksergeik Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous series The humour wasn't so silly and there was better pacing. Whether it lasts or not is another matter. Merlin had its good moments but it also had lots of filler episodes as well. But this did seem like a big improvement on what came before it.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that was... business as usual.

Jason remains the least charismatic leading character in possibly any TV show ever.

The female characters continue to be woefully under-used/short changed (I had hopes for Medea after the trailers, but so far she's just been a bit scared and ran away a lot). Sure, the women have important roles in the context of the story, but it seems like a token gesture to be able to claim how important they are to the story without ever really using them to any great degree - basically just like Guin in Merlin.

Ultimately, it was all just kinda boring, with moments of silly. Xena could - and often did - have got away with the catapult scene. But in a show that takes itself as seriously as this one does, it just came across as ludicrous.

Musketeers has demonstrated how good this kind of show could be, with a witty script and a genuinely engaging cast. It's not about making Atlantis darker. It's about making it better.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Well, that was... business as usual.

Jason remains the least charismatic leading character in possibly any TV show ever.

The female characters continue to be woefully under-used/short changed (I had hopes for Medea after the trailers, but so far she's just been a bit scared and ran away a lot). Sure, the women have important roles in the context of the story, but it seems like a token gesture to be able to claim how important they are to the story without ever really using them to any great degree - basically just like Guin in Merlin.

Ultimately, it was all just kinda boring, with moments of silly. Xena could - and often did - have got away with the catapult scene. But in a show that takes itself as seriously as this one does, it just came across as ludicrous.

Musketeers has demonstrated how good this kind of show could be, with a witty script and a genuinely engaging cast. It's not about making Atlantis darker. It's about making it better.
    I bowed out of musketeers after 3 episodes because I though it was dull - each to their own eh?
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I didn't enjoy Season One, I thought the acting was wooden and unconvincing, the plot lines were mainly either drivel or recycled or both and the scripts could have been written by a four year old for all the sense that they made, it had nowhere near the emotional depth of Merlin, nor the fantastic supporting score and great actors. I stuck with it, all the way through, still hoping that it would improve towards the end of the run, it did get very slightly better in the last episode but I still thought it very poor for BBC One Saturday night entertainment, the Beeb can definitely do better than this.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that Pyp from Game of Thrones?

That makes Pypar, King Robert, Maester Luwin and Alexander Siddig's character on GoT Bingo now :D
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His destiny should be to get acting lessons.

He really is dire, well I see no improvement at all, script was another bland Overman effort, lots of pointless scenes or to call it for what it was filler, my OH remarked that it seemed to rip off the far better 'Merlin' for some scenes as well, the episode was messy and boring, no tension or drama at all and this felt more like a CBeebies commission than something for BBC One.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I know the producers and writer also worked on Merlin, but why does the script sound like random off-cuts from the Merlin production floor?

Because that's exactly what it is,
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,669
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    TV critics ( including Radio Times etc ) saw it a week ago or more.
    As I said :)
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Basically, it's only opinion. For those that genuinely enjoy the show, then what does it matter what other people say?
    Because it gets really annoying when you can't follow the thread of posts in favour for all those waste-ong-time hate-posting. Which is why I had to leave the S1 thread :(

Will be watching it tomorrow night. I wonder if I'll be able to post in here after it?! (See comment above.)
  • rebecca87rebecca87 Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    I know the producers and writer also worked on Merlin, but why does the script sound like random off-cuts from the Merlin production floor?

You could see Merlin morphing into Atlantis towards the end, with any plot or character development it had giving way to sword fighting and things blowing up. Merlin was only slightly better written, but had the benefit of an excellent cast who rose above the poor material. Atlantis doesn't have that. Mark Addy tries his best, but he can't carry the entire show on his shoulders.

They seemed to take the 'darker' thing a bit too literally, I couldn't see what was going on half the time. An improvement on the last series but I still think it would be better of as a CBBC show.
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only 40 posts here. Suggests poor viewing figures then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said :)

Because it gets really annoying when you can't follow the thread of posts in favour for all those waste-ong-time hate-posting. Which is why I had to leave the S1 thread :(

Will be watching it tomorrow night. I wonder if I'll be able to post in here after it?! (See comment above.)

This is not an appreciation thread, if that's what you want to post in then kindly go start one, there is going to be negativity and praise for the show because it ensures a lively debate.

And so what if people hate it and want to post about their issues, does it impact on the your enjoyment of the show, no I very much doubt it does, you clearly cannot accept differing opinions so maybe a forum where debate is encouraged is not for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only 40 posts here. Suggests poor viewing figures then.

It will get four million then I expect it to drop viewers from here on in, people no longer have the time or patience to sit through numerous episodes in the hope that something will happen.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh. No improvement. More terrible acting and writing

Howard overman's writing was funny, very much out there and creative in the early series of Misfits. But then we saw how that show turned out in the later series. Created a storyline of a missing penis and then gave a character the power to take away people's powers by shagging them. His writing has gone from bad to worse on Atlantis.

Atlantis may very well be on par with the awful short lived ITV1 supernatural drama, Demons. Now that was dreadful. Oh and don't me started on Primeval. How that lasted 5 series, i do not know. That had more cast changes then what Sugababes has had members. I don't what it is with us Brits, but we suck at sci-fi/supernatural/fantasy shows. If you did a survey asking people to name a british sci-fi show, every single one of them would more than likely only name Dr Who.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed it - they've upped their game significantly from the first series.

I'll be back with it next week :cool:

I think we are in the minority, I enjoyed it as well.

I get the feeling they skipped what they had for series 2 and went straight to series 3, Merlin improved each series until the last one and from tonight Atlantis has also improved. I will be back next week and I'm looking forward to it.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

I get the feeling they skipped what they had for series 2 and went straight to series 3, Merlin improved each series until the last one and from tonight Atlantis has also improved. I will be back next week and I'm looking forward to it.

I still haven't seen the last two episodes of Merlin as it got so bad :D The last season was torture.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    I still haven't seen the last two episodes of Merlin as it got so bad :D The last season was torture.

Yes, the last series of Merlin was a let down after it had improved every year till then. Since you have avoided the last 2 episodes until now I wouldn't watch them, they will only diminish series 5 further.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    It is technically accurate. DTT and Satellite still broadcast through the air. Which is also why radio stations are always "on air" :)
    I'm not sure 'to air' is a (conventionally accepted) verb in British English.
    We've tended to say something 'is broadcast'.
    It is of course fine to say that a radio station is 'on air'. Air, in that case, being a noun.

I guess it's something that has crept in from American English, like calling series 'seasons'.

If you're going to do that again will you please keep it to a separate thread. Thanks
    Nope. I shall post what I like (within the terms and conditions of the site) on whatever thread I like.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    Ohhh and I loved this first episode :):)

Nothing has changed :)
    Jack - yay - his timberframe sideboard approach to acting is still an unremitting delight.
    The scripts - still as languid and immovable as Pasiphae's botoxed face!

Quite a thumping body count by the end - the new thing seems to be slicing and dicing, even Pythie managed a few.... awww.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Alexander Siddig realised he could do better and jumped ship! A shame really, because I enjoyed watching him hamming it up last series. One of the best parts of it - plus his sudden death kinda makes the whole of last series' "save the king at the last moment" all a bit pointless. Yay, we saved him from being poisoned by his wife. Oh dear, he died anyway. No big deal!

Did anyone else play "spot the rip-off" during that episode? Not sure I can remember them all off the top of my head, but as I watched it, I kept laughing at how it seemed like a rip-off of something else.

Medea and the Merlin-magic dialogue and flashy-eyes.

Stealing the statue and the big earthquake/falling rocks. Was just waiting for a giant boulder to chase her down the passage!

The trusted confidant that no-one suspects, but is actually the traiter - any episode of Merlin.

Medea escaping on the back of a flying creature after jumping off a ledge. Gandalf the Grey called and asked for recognition of his escape tactics.

Good guys capture an unarmed boy who is an enemy solider and debate killing him, before eventually letting him go. He returns to f*ck-up the good guys. Was that statue they were saving called Private Ryan, by any chance?

Final shot of chanting army. Looks like Pasiphae is renting second-hand Uruk-Hai from Saruman the White!

Oh and when they reached the rope bridge, was anyone else expecting them to meet a bridgekeeper who would ask them these questions three? :p

I still enjoy it in a "pointless wank on a Saturday night when I've got nothing else to do," kinda way. I enjoy it for what it is, but I wouldn't be in a state if I missed it, either.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »

Oh and when they reached the rope bridge, was anyone else expecting them to meet a bridgekeeper who would ask them these questions three? :p

r.

Me!!!!Me!!!!

I almost posted "What is your favourite colour" but the dishwasher needed loading :( and the moment was lost :(:D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Excrement. Maybe it was just me but I didn't even find it entertainingly bad like last year. I just thought it was dull rubbish.
  • loco_localoco_loca Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If every episode is as good as this one, the season will be okay. I think much of the complaints are down to the series having to work its way up from below mediocre. Once the faith of the audience is out of the window, the expectations become a lot higher.

Stopped watching season 1 midway through, but if this season is consistent I will endure the earlier episodes.

I'm actually happy Jason got an arrow for his stupidity. I understand being compassionate and forth but there is a stronger need to be prudent. The man's cowardice should have told him he was a man of little honour and, even if he did believe he was sincere, injure or bind him.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I'm not sure 'to air' is a (conventionally accepted) verb in British English.
    We've tended to say something 'is broadcast'.
    It is of course fine to say that a radio station is 'on air'. Air, in that case, being a noun.

I guess it's something that has crept in from American English, like calling series 'seasons'.

Nope. I shall post what I like (within the terms and conditions of the site) on whatever thread I like.

That's twice you have criticised people using the term "air". Loads of people use the word on here and other places and yet twice you feel the need to be arrogant about it. We get it. You prefer the word Broadcast and feel it can't air unless it is capable of farting. You are just nit picking for the absolute sack of it.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    I bowed out of musketeers after 3 episodes because I though it was dull - each to their own eh?

Me too, although I only watched 2 episodes and the second was a real struggle for me.
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

Well I'm pleased Atlantis is back. I very much enjoyed season 1 and look forward to watching the rest is season 2. I honestly don't care about the bad acting I was want to watch something that entertains me on a Saturday night and this does/did and will.