13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaLaLaur wrote: »
    I never noticed Lee had a lisp... :confused:

there was a whole discussion on this before, it is actually has a medical term, but i can't remember who said it and what it is...it is not that noticeable i don't think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Did you actually watch her working with ALW - she brought tears to his eyes; and did you actually listen to what he said after she performed - nothing there that needed decoding - it was pure, unadulterated praise for an astonishing performance from one so young.

As for 'can't take direction,' that was not an allegation - DVO asked JB, "are you saying she can't take direction?" GN moved on before JB could reply - so we don't know what he would have said.

i didn't take Denise's question the way you did. I found it very pointed. she didn't just simply ask him for no reason and it was the way she said it. if it was breezy and she was just asking JB then fine, but to me, that's not the way she said it. i now have to go watch it again. you have me doubting myself and if i am wrong, i will gladly hold my hands up.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Just interested to know whether people had heard the song before Jessie's version tonight?

Huge majority of you seem to have absolutely loved her and was just wondering whether this was the first time you had heard it?

I love that song, every time I hear Judy Garland sing it it makes me bawl, the anguish in her voice is amazing all the way through.

I thought it was a brave choice for Jessie since it's a big song and I thought she did have a good stab at it though I'm not sure I'd rave as much as others have. Still she was definitely the best performance tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub1 wrote: »
    Sarah hadn't got a clue how to sing that song.She murdered it.

Honestly,watch it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn6r9c9Lgys

hmm, that actually lyrically is a sad song, but i think she really tried to over sell it. i agree with you.

at least her frock was in the same tone or shade of her opening frock this time. (refrence to old thread)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I love that song, every time I hear Judy Garland sing it it makes me bawl, the anguish in her voice is amazing all the way through.

I thought it was a brave choice for Jessie since it's a big song and I thought she did have a good stab at it though I'm not sure I'd rave as much as others have. Still she was definitely the best performance tonight.

did Jessie have a choice? i thought the choices were made for the girls by the producers or whoever. if she chose it herself then even more KUDOS for sure.
  • Options
    Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    Jessie's performance here for those who may not have seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGlcOqkBRY

Check out ALW's ecstatic expression at one minute forty seconds.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks for these Dub. I always see them from a gal who puts them all up with judges comments.. I will have to search more next time.

woops- that's her. lol avuk
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    JellyKate wrote: »
    It's a very well known song.

I am a bit puzzled here. ALW and the panel and most of the people on DS are raving about her performance. Maybe it is my TV because to me she sounded sort of muffled and I had great trouble making out the words, I had to turn up the volume and was wondering if her mike was set up correctly. So it was surprising when they all started raving about the "performance of the series". I will have to listen again on Youtube to find out if it sounds better because to me it sounded rubbish.

Its strange and could be the mikes or the studio sound because when she sings it to ALW beforehand it does seem even clearer. That used to happen on Fame Academy too - the best perfromances were all in teh music room. It may be what you are listening to it on too- as I found out when I tried the on the digital reciever, Sky and on the old analogue aerial - all three sound very different.......
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    clonion wrote: »
    A gift of a song is only a gift of a song when it works. Otherwise it's a poisoned chalice.
    True, but the recipient of the gift is chosen carefully. If you don't get the gift, you can't do anything with it.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that. Amazing performance.
    ALW's face made me LOL, he just looks so excited :o
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Its strange and could be the mikes or the studio sound because when she sings it to ALW beforehand it does seem even clearer. That used to happen on Fame Academy too - the best perfromances were all in teh music room. It may be what you are listening to it on too- as I found out when I tried the on the digital reciever, Sky and on the old analogue aerial - all three sound very different.......
    It seems to me that sometimes (and this also applies in The X Factor) that the panel have already made up their minds prior to the live shows, based on what they have already heard and seen in rehearsal etc.
  • Options
    Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    True, but the recipient of the gift is chosen carefully. If you don't get the gift, you can't do anything with it.

Wow,Jessie was the recipient of the gift.

A little known song by a woman who died fifty years ago is a strange gift if you ask me.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Probably picked very carefully. Some songs are not going to get votes however well you sing them as they are dull , go on and are not well known. Someone last week suggested some songs that fitted that bill and lo and behold they have started to turn up. Big Spender on the other hand was a possible crowd pleaser but Ashley needed to do it as well as Abi did to get much gain from it and couldn't. Jessie tonight got a not so well known song that she could carry off impressively and one that most importantly required her to actually show the emotions needed in a Nancy.

It is dangerous though because if you get it wrong and pick someone to do something popular and well known or dramatic that they fail at they probably destroy their chances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that sometimes (and this also applies in The X Factor) that the panel have already made up their minds prior to the live shows, based on what they have already heard and seen in rehearsal etc.

They actually admitted to that on FA. There was always the problem that the singers couldn't hear tthe music and the judges couldn't hear the singing - or in the case of Richard couldn't hear anything sung softly. If you remember the final of CFA where Edith Bowman won, her Mike was off when she was singing and you could hear her faintly through the noise of the audience rustling, clapping, cheering and everything else going on in the studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just listened to it on broadband from iplayer and that has the best sound of all - crystal clear - or my computer speakers are better ..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew the song and I love Judy Garland's version of it. Jessie was good IMO--actually the best I've seen her because she didn't have to move very much and I think her movement is strange and distracting. Her voice sounded very good for the most part, but she lost the lower parts of the song and sounded very wobbly in parts. It was a good effort, IMO, but not anywhere close to Judy's. Judy had a range and power in her voice that Jessie does not have, at least not yet.

To me, Jessie was very good this week, but I can't see her as Nancy. I think she could be very successful as a pop singer, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    clonion wrote: »
    A gift of a song is only a gift of a song when it works. Otherwise it's a poisoned chalice.

I think this and the earlier post about Judy Garland singing this after she'd seen the tough side of showbus are interesting points,

Nancy was a young girl who had seen and experienced stuff which should have been well beyond her years. There is a contradiction between the hardened woman who is Bill Sikes' girl and the teenager who becomes a sort of surrogate big sister to young Oliver.

For me, Jessie's version of this song express that contradiction well. I agree some of the others might have given a more mature performance - but would that have been more like Nancy, the teenager in the grown woman's skin ?
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I disagree.I doubt any of the other girls could have injected that song with the correct amount of vulnerability and heartbreak,the way Jessie did.

I'm sure they breathed a collective sigh of relief when they realised they didn't have to sing it.

Yes. I bet Jessie would have done anything to have a crack at Mr Bojangles instead!:)
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Bojangles isn't THAT tough a song, don't see really what people are going on about - much more potential to shine than was given to Rachel, for example (although of course we all know that in the eyes of the panel Rachel can do no wrong).

Still stand by hating Jessie's version but one thing I did take away from it is that she is one of the few girls who never goes out of tune. I think it is only her and Sarah who have not repeatedly hit bum notes and that is something that is never praised by the judges, but then they are very random with the pitching problems they pick up on!
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Mr Bojangles isn't THAT tough a song, don't see really what people are going on about - much more potential to shine than was given to Rachel, for example (although of course we all know that in the eyes of the panel Rachel can do no wrong).

Still stand by hating Jessie's version but one thing I did take away from it is that she is one of the few girls who never goes out of tune. I think it is only her and Sarah who have not repeatedly hit bum notes and that is something that is never praised by the judges, but then they are very random with the pitching problems they pick up on!

Not tough, exactly. Just slight, subtle, reflective and fairly understated in a line up of classics that were written to be showstoppers.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah hadn't got a clue how to sing that song.She murdered it.

Honestly,watch it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn6r9c9Lgys

OK, I watched it again, but I don't agree with you. Maybe I don't have a clue how the song should be sung either, but I know it sounds good to me the way Sarah sang it.

Jessie's song didn't sound good to me, though I don't think this was really her fault; I just don't like the song. But even leaving that aside, while I can see that Jessie performed it well, I found Sarah's performance much better. And as for performance of the series, when we've had Jodie's Send In The Clowns, Sarah's Midnight Train to Georgia, Francesca's Somebody to Love and Ashley's The Winner Takes It All it would take a lot to be that, and I just find it absurd overpraise.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not tough, exactly. Just slight, subtle, reflective and fairly understated in a line up of classics that were written to be showstoppers.

Good point! It's always easy to impress with a big torch song but I still thought Sarah did quite well. Imagine what somebody like Sam or Niamh would have done with it!

I actually think Jessie would have done a good job with Mr Bojangles, which maybe makes her better than I've credited her for as I can't imagine anybody else managing to inject subtlety.