Options

Three Men Go To Ireland (BBC2)

2»

Comments

• Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Escape..................a family film ?
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quisling wrote: »
    Quite.
    I'm sure the Council were tipped off by the BBC weeks if not months in advance and decided if they were going to get a some airtime, they might as well put on a bit of a show.

I remember the day my 'reality tv' cherry was popped.
    My brother in law worked for a company who contracted plant and operators to various bulding projects and developments in the area and he and some of his colleages were taken off all normal duties for a week in order to wash and polish their best machines in readiness for a 'surprise' call from Anneka Rice.

:D

Challenge Anneka was real 'off the cuff' stuff. I won't let you tarnish that innocent bygone era with all these underhand modern day shenanigans.

I loved Challenge Anneka as a kid :D:o

As for this outing of Three Men... Pretty poor, to be honest. I'm also curious if there is anything that's actually Irish, but not touristy Irish, insultingly Irish or which is capable of offending Darah in someway... Though the winding up of Darah by Gryff and Rory is the best bit of it.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The second part of this is on BBC2 at 8 o'clock.

Bugger, nice bit of scheduling again BBC, cheers for that, NOT.
    Oh well, set the PVR for the 8th now to record it.

I was out walking the Dog anyway.
  • Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this harder going than the first episode; the cheer and high spirits of the Mullingar people was replaced by a more guarded response to the three goons by the western Irish. Maybe the editor deliberately included the moments when elegant women politely put down Rory's cumbersome attempts at flirting, but it was cringemaking nonetheless.

The scenery was beautiful and I learned a lot: never heard of the castle and the fort, and never seen shots of the Arran Islands before.

The constant silly Irish accents of Rory and Griff did not just annoy Dara, they annoyed me. Not because of the stereotype--the English accent gets mocked all the time as well, as do all accents--but because once was enough. It just wore thin. I'm not usually a fan of Dara, but Ireland brought out a touching dignity and mellowness in him that I haven't seen before. Given that the programme will probably go out in Ireland, I think he was well advised not to associate himself with the mockery indulged in by the other two--though they meant well and were friendly enough to Irish people face to face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I thought Dara should have stopped all that nonsense about being Irish and trying to defend Ireland. You would think it was an alien planet he'd brought them to, not the UK's slightly crazier twin. The other two should have thrown him in the middle of the Shannon.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housekatt wrote: »
    I thought Dara should have stopped all that nonsense about being Irish and trying to defend Ireland. You would think it was an alien planet he'd brought them to, not the UK's slightly crazier twin. The other two should have thrown him in the middle of the Shannon.

I love that description! :D:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, it was probably planned in advance, as the programme always depends on grumpiness between the three men. Certainly, we know Dara was not unexpectedly interrupted in his Irish poem by Griff and Rory appearing out of nowhere dressed in Arran and carrying Irish flags just as the cameracopter went by. The joke was unnecessaritly laboured, in my opinion. Especially as neither Griff nor Rory are English (Rory being Cornish).
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, it was probably planned in advance, as the programme always depends on grumpiness between the three men. Certainly, we know Dara was not unexpectedly interrupted in his Irish poem by Griff and Rory appearing out of nowhere dressed in Arran and carrying Irish flags just as the cameracopter went by. The joke was unnecessaritly laboured, in my opinion.Especially as neither Griff nor Rory are English (Rory being Cornish).

Okey, I'll bite - don't be silly! :p

And I say that as someone with a definitively Cornish surname, and a father brought up in Helston!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, then you should know that the Cornish are a nation. (Please don't take that as saying that Cornwall is a country.)

In fairness, Rory is English also. But I was implying that a Cornish person might be expected to have some sympathy with the historical antipathy of the Irish towards the English.
  • Options
    sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okey, I'll bite - don't be silly! :p

And I say that as someone with a definitively Cornish surname, and a father brought up in Helston!

Tamar Bridge Act of 1998

"In the late 1850s there was a successful submission by the Duchy of Cornwall's Attorney General, Sir George Harrison, involving a dispute with the Crown over the latter’s claim to Cornwall’s foreshore. Harrison’s submission described Cornwall as a Palatine state that had always been held apart from England and that the entire jurisdiction of the Crown within Cornish borders was held by the Duke...

...This was confirmed more recently by the Tamar Bridge Act of 1998."

Strange source, absolute astronomy?? But heh...

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Tamar_Bridge
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this harder going than the first episode; the cheer and high spirits of the Mullingar people was replaced by a more guarded response to the three goons by the western Irish. Maybe the editor deliberately included the moments when elegant women politely put down Rory's cumbersome attempts at flirting, but it was cringemaking nonetheless.

The scenery was beautiful and I learned a lot: never heard of the castle and the fort, and never seen shots of the Arran Islands before.

The constant silly Irish accents of Rory and Griff did not just annoy Dara, they annoyed me. Not because of the stereotype--the English accent gets mocked all the time as well, as do all accents--but because once was enough. It just wore thin. I'm not usually a fan of Dara, but Ireland brought out a touching dignity and mellowness in him that I haven't seen before. Given that the programme will probably go out in Ireland, I think he was well advised not to associate himself with the mockery indulged in by the other two--though they meant well and were friendly enough to Irish people face to face.

The Aran Islands (spelt 'Aran' btw....the Isle of Arran is in Scotland) are beautiful and full of history.Amazing scenery as they look out over the Atlantic Ocean,"next parish is Boston" as they say.

It was a nice touch to see Dara conversing with the woman on the island in Irish....she would have appreciated it very much.The locals there would tend to be much more reserved than the people of Mullingar alright.Mullingar is just under 50 miles from Dublin,and there would even be people who commute into the city every day.The Aran Islands are among the remotest parts of Ireland.
  • Options
    mrbouffantmrbouffant Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed these two episodes very much. I guess it was the kind of holiday I would like to do one day. Having been to Athlone in the early 90s, I never realised the whole area was so beautiful.

However, I do have one question.

Why did the soundtrack make liberal use of the music from Harry Potter Goblet of Fire film??? :confused:
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the end scene to the show. It was well set up & I didnt see it coming. :)
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone mentioned earlier this is very contrived television, a godsend for Rory I would imagine!
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, then you should know that the Cornish are a nation. (Please don't take that as saying that Cornwall is a country.)

In fairness, Rory is English also. But I was implying that a Cornish person might be expected to have some sympathy with the historical antipathy of the Irish towards the English.

I can't stand Cornwall , Wales or Scotland. If you all are so desperate to be your own "nations" then please do so. Stop moaning about England, being so accusatory of England and sponging off England while you're at it.
  • Options
    ellie1167ellie1167 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Cornwall , Wales or Scotland. If you all are so desperate to be your own "nations" then please do so. Stop moaning about England, being so accusatory of England and sponging off England while you're at it.

And there you have the reason so many of the 'other' peoples of the UK have problems with the attitude of some English summed up in 3 little sentences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who's moaning about England? National identity isn't about hating England. I identify as being Cornish and English (a Cornish person can happily be English and Cornish, the same way a Scot can happily be Scottish and British or a Welsh person Welsh and British). And all these nations have a lot of culture in common with Ireland. It's not about nationalism (yuk) but about national identity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, it was probably planned in advance, as the programme always depends on grumpiness between the three men. Certainly, we know Dara was not unexpectedly interrupted in his Irish poem by Griff and Rory appearing out of nowhere dressed in Arran and carrying Irish flags just as the cameracopter went by. The joke was unnecessaritly laboured, in my opinion. Especially as neither Griff nor Rory are English (Rory being Cornish).

When I last looked Cornwall was still part of England, hence making Rory English. You Cornish don't really want to have all those lovely beaches to yourself, surely?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I last looked Cornwall was still part of England, hence making Rory English. You Cornish don't really want to have all those lovely beaches to yourself, surely?;)

A nation and a country are different things. For example, the Sioux nation is part of the United States; the Basque nation overlaps into both France and Spain; as does Kurdistan in Turkey and Iraq. There are numerous examples. A nation does not cease to exist just because it's aborbed within a larger state.

I'm not a Cornish nationalist; there are very few of those. But the Cornish are recognised as a Celtic nation by the other Celtic nations--as are the Bretons. It's not anti-English to be Cornish, because the Cornish are also English--and very few of them claim otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_nations
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off to find seans daughter

the irish dancer

she had some magnificent talents and a beautiful face