It's a disgrace that clubs are having to play two games in three days.

2»

Comments

• TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russ_WWFC wrote: »
    If the players can't cope will all the games then they shouldn't be playing professional football. Many fans that watch them are working 50, 60, 70 hours a week in order to pay, for amongst other things, the over inflated ticket prices.

I remember when Wycombe won the BSP... we played Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday near the end of the season!

The number of muscle injuries players are picking up suggests that it is not good for them.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people just need to shut up and deal with it. We played two games in less than 48 hours, were down to 10 men in both, and won both. And we played the same starting 11 bar the one change for Defoe being suspended. If you just get on with the games rather than moaning about how close together they are, then maybe there won't be a problem.

Some times teams play on a Saturday, then on a Monday if there are mid-week fixtures and it's chosen for the Monday night slot. Do people moan then when it's 2 games in 3 days? Why is it only over Christmas that people seem to have a problem with it?
  • Parric74Parric74 Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really a disgrace. It's been like this for years around Christmas time. I love seeing my team play, so to have two games in three days is a bonus. I hope that they don't bring in a winter break because I would just be bored stiff without football through the depressing months of the year to keep me going. It's bad enough in the summer not having club football.

One thing that I do find unfair though is my team had two games in three days and the team we played yesterday had over a week rest because their boxing day fixture was cancelled. So they had an advantage with fresher legs and hardly any injuries from two days before.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been argued in other threads regarding players wages that it's market forces, players get the vast amount of money they earn because of the amount of fans that want to see them. Well, there's two sides to that coin. Fans want to see their players / team quite often over the Christmas, so it's time for them to earn the amount they get.

Teams in the lower leagues who don't earn as much have to play two games in three days, sometimes 3 games a week, quite often, never mind just Christmas.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    They get paid enough to play two games in three days.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not all paid the same though. What's the wage threshold between playing and not playing twice in three games exactly? Or is it just a generic gripe with no meaning?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    They're not all paid the same though. What's the wage threshold between playing and not playing twice in three games exactly? Or is it just a generic gripe with no meaning?

£1000 pw if you want an arbitury figure as thats £52,000 per year so a damn good wage by any standard.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    They get paid enough to play two games in three days.

It's not about wages is it? They are athletes being asked to perform twice in a short period of time and are picking up injuries as a result.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    £1000 pw if you want an arbitury figure as thats £52,000 per year so a damn good wage by any standard.

Now tell me the difference between someone earning £900 a week and someone earning £1100 a week in physical terms that should allow the former to not be suited to playing games in succession.