Options

The rise and rise of Harry Redknapp

Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
Forum Member
✭✭
Never does this man get enough credit. It's such a shame that he didn't get a 'bigger' job earlier on in his career. He changed his mind (wisely) about Newcastle but I wonder where they'd be now if he had taken that.

What a tremendous job he's done with Tottenham since he's been there. An achievement to rival that of any other manager in the league over that time, I think. They're entertaining, aggressive, stylish and they look like they're well on their way to becoming a serious force in England and maybe Europe in the coming years.

I just think his achievements should be applauded, personally. It seems common place for managers now to get stick and criticism and accusations of not being good enough. Particularly English managers. This guy surely bucks the trend.

He also seems like a genuine guy too, which helps. Spurs fans must be absolutely delighted with him.

Comments

• Options
    vaarthartvainvaarthartvain Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    totally agree :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never does this man get enough credit. It's such a shame that he didn't get a 'bigger' job earlier on in his career. He changed his mind (wisely) about Newcastle but I wonder where they'd be now if he had taken that.

What a tremendous job he's done with Tottenham since he's been there. An achievement to rival that of any other manager in the league over that time, I think. They're entertaining, aggressive, stylish and they look like they're well on their way to becoming a serious force in England and maybe Europe in the coming years.

I just think his achievements should be applauded, personally. It seems common place for managers now to get stick and criticism and accusations of not being good enough. Particularly English managers. This guy surely bucks the trend.

He also seems like a genuine guy too, which helps. Spurs fans must be absolutely delighted with him.

like many West Ham, fans I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Harry - I personally feel that all our current problems can be traced back to the day we sacked him.

When I see the fantastic job he has done at Spurs, and then look back to the 99/2000 season when we still had Rio Ferdinand, Lampard, Carrick, Defoe, J Cole, and Di Canio you can't help but wonder what kind of team Redknapp could of built at West Ham had he been given enough money to spend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't deny his achievements but he's pretty vile, i don't think there's anybody in football i dislike more and that was the case even before he took over Tottenham. That's Tottenham Hotspur, not Hotspurs, Redknapp.
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Love Harry Redknapp, always have done. Nice thread.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    as a Spurs fan, I'm really not his biggest fan, and to say he doesn't get enough credit sounds incredible to me as the media do nothing but credit him, even for the things are down to others. I especially hate the fact that he gladly takes all the plaudits going, yet mocks and turns on the fans at the first hint of any criticism. that, and the way he CONSTANTLY talks about the England job every other week, plus the way he conducts all his transfer dealings entirely through the media

has he done a great job? of course, most definitely. but with the amount of money that has been spent, and the quality of the squad assembled for him by our chairman (who doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for what he's done recently), you'd expect any halfway decent manager to produce similar results. our style of play is very exciting, in that it produces a lot of goals at both ends, but a lot of the time we're just knocking it long to Crouch, which can be very frustrating. I'd also like to see us a bit more solid defensively.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    as a Spurs fan, I'm really not his biggest fan, and to say he doesn't get enough credit sounds incredible to me as the media do nothing but credit him, even for the things are down to others. I especially hate the fact that he gladly takes all the plaudits going, yet mocks and turns on the fans at the first hint of any criticism. that, and the way he CONSTANTLY talks about the England job every other week, plus the way he conducts all his transfer dealings entirely through the media

has he done a great job? of course, most definitely. but with the amount of money that has been spent, and the quality of the squad assembled for him by our chairman (who doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for what he's done recently), you'd expect any halfway decent manager to produce similar results. our style of play is very exciting, in that it produces a lot of goals at both ends, but a lot of the time we're just knocking it long to Crouch, which can be very frustrating. I'd also like to see us a bit more solid defensively.

I agree with you petty much. Although on the point about our defense, if we had everyone fit, we'd be as solid as you can get. But with the injuries we've had, I think you need to cut Harry some slack there. Now we've got Daws fit though, I think Gomes will get more confidence back, and we'll start seeing some more clean sheets. After all, we've kept just 4 this season and 3 of those were with Daws playing!
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Needs to buck his ideas up on the Wii though doesn't he? Even Louise is beating him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well that's the thing, our first-choice defence is NEVER going to be fit, so we need to start looking for at least one long-term first choice central defender. Dawson is very good when he has a "senior" defender alongside him to talk to him and tell him where to be, but when he's playing in there with Bassong for instance (like in the first leg against Young Boys), I have to watch from behind the sofa.

I also think we need to find a defensive midfielder from somewhere to offer protection to the back four, because Palacios is going to make me pull my hair out

I'm not blaming 'Arry for any of these, but these areas DO need to be addressed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ezenden wrote: »
    I can't deny his achievements but he's pretty vile, i don't think there's anybody in football i dislike more and that was the case even before he took over Tottenham. That's Tottenham Hotspur, not Hotspurs, Redknapp.

I don't think he's vile but the way he conducts himself with transfers dose leave a nasty taste in the mouth - he has on numerous occasions publicaly talked about and named players he wants to sign . Last season West Ham, were in advanced talks to sign . Eidur Gudjohnsen, on loan as soon as Redknapp, found out he not only started saying how much he wanted to sign him.but on the very day Gudjohnsen, was going to sign for us people from Spurs were at the airport and took him away and got him to sign for them,.

Then of course this season just after Joe Cole, signed for Liverpool, Redknapp was publicaly saying that Cole really wanted to sign for Spurs - however you try to defend him redknapps, bevaiour in transfers is just out of order.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This tribute thread not going too well then:D

Can't stand the bloke myself, he is a spiv and a chancer of the highest order, but I can't deny he gets his teams playing good football, and he did the smartest bit of transfer business in many years picking up Van De Voort for £7 million.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Van De Voort :D
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll never guess what I've just been watching:o

'Tidy little finisher the lad Van De Voort- could do a bit of a job for us up top'
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I would pay good money to see Van De Voort turn out for Spurs :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is all this 'vile' nonsense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    This tribute thread not going too well then:D

Can't stand the bloke myself, he is a spiv and a chancer of the highest order, but I can't deny he gets his teams playing good football, and he did the smartest bit of transfer business in many years picking up Van De Voort for £7 million.
    you've just made one of my points for me. Van der Vaart had next to nothing to do with good ol 'Arry. it was Levy that came to him on deadline day with VDV pretty much gift-wrapped, and 'Arry asked Jamie who in turn called Ruud Gullit (according to Gullit himself) what he thought of it. yet who gets all the credit for this bargain on a lifetime?
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a good manager, does great work with players but he's got a few things about him i don't like

1. He's a liar. Portsmouth and Southampton were his "last jobs", not to mention his links to dodgy dealings and such.
    2. He leaves behind teams in poor financial health. West Ham were in the mire after him until that Egg bloke came along, stabilised them for about a week then put them in bigger crap. Southampton and Portsmouth both been in administration not long after Harry left them, coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence in this game.
    3. Tactically could be better, Spurs right now for instance seem to be a "score one more than you" club, which isn't a great way to do things.

But still, his record with Tottenham is quite good and they seem to be a perfect fit for each other, and i don't mean that in a bad way or anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is all this 'vile' nonsense?

Other than everything already mentioned, a few more examples;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZTna7tRHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBsI7RAuvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVSVy16ZZo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What the hell is wrong with any of that?

If you think that's vile, Alex Ferguson must be the bastard mother and father of Satan, Hitler, Jack the Ripper and ian Huntley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is wrong with any of that?

If you think that's vile, Alex Ferguson must be the bastard mother and father of Satan, Hitler, Jack the Ripper and ian Huntley.

It's that combined with the plethora of other negatives to the man's character and career. The fact this thread dedicated to his supposed greatness has received such criticism instead (even from the Spurs fans) speaks volumes.

For all Alex Ferguson's ills, i don't recall him ever telling a reporter to "Fack off!" for making an innocent comment. When has Ferguson ever spoken about a player like Redknapp insulted Darren Bent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's that combined with the plethora of other negatives to the man's character and career. The fact this thread dedicated to his supposed greatness has received such criticism instead (even from the Spurs fans) speaks volumes.

For all Alex Ferguson's ills, i don't recall him ever telling a reporter to "Fack off!" for making an innocent comment.

Really?

You should watch an Alex Ferguson press conference. He'll tell a reporter to f*** off* only if he hasn't already banned him for writing something in the papers he didn't like.

Comparing Ferguson to Redknapp in that respect is like putting Idi Amin and David Cameron on the same page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wait...are you saying that he isn't?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did well for us at Pompey but he also screwed us financially with some of his transfer dealings - he has a reputation as a bargain hunter and wheeler dealer but in reality he has a scattergun approach with every really good signing matched by a poor one and an expensive one that he then rarely played and we couldn't sell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

You should watch an Alex Ferguson press conference. He'll tell a reporter to f*** off* only if he hasn't already banned him for writing something in the papers he didn't like.

Comparing Ferguson to Redknapp in that respect is like putting Idi Amin and David Cameron on the same page.

Never witnessed that i'm afraid, i'll have to look forward to it. Though it's pretty inconsequential really, especially as this isn't a "Fergie vs Redknapp, who's the biggest twat?" discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never witnessed that i'm afraid, i'll have to look forward to it. Though it's pretty inconsequential really, especially as this isn't a "Fergie vs Redknapp, who's the biggest twat?" discussion.

How can you say it's not relevant when you brought it up?
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    well that's the thing, our first-choice defence is NEVER going to be fit, so we need to start looking for at least one long-term first choice central defender. Dawson is very good when he has a "senior" defender alongside him to talk to him and tell him where to be, but when he's playing in there with Bassong for instance (like in the first leg against Young Boys), I have to watch from behind the sofa.

I also think we need to find a defensive midfielder from somewhere to offer protection to the back four, because Palacios is going to make me pull my hair out

I'm not blaming 'Arry for any of these, but these areas DO need to be addressed

That argument against Daws is very old, and no longer true. The guy is awesome as captain and as the senior CB. And I think you'll find Bassong was the problem in the Young Boys game, not Daws. Seb had an absolute stinker, and it showed as he dropped way down the pecking order and didn't feature for a while afterwards. Ledley aside, Daws is the most natural leader we have. He leads everyone else, he no longer needs leading himself.

I agree about Palacios though. Although, I'm not so sure we necessarily need a DM. Jenas is playing very well this season, and does a good defensive job. Luka also does his fair share of defensive work (I actually think his best games for us have been when he's played the deeper role at CM). But we do need a replacement in the squad for Wilson I think.

But like you say, these aren't Harry's fault.