Options

The Ides of March

NickClapperNickClapper Posts: 119
Forum Member
Anyone seen this?

It looked really, really good and then I heard very mixed things about it at the LFF (where I missed the screening). Anyhow, to cut a long story short I haven't seen it. But I'd still like to (although it's behind Tintin on my catch up list).

Someone else reviewed it for my website and loved it, so perhaps it is good after all!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it today. For the most part I thought it was very good with an interesting plot although it has no real ending; the movie just ends. I would have liked it better if there had been an actual resolution to it all. It just seemed like they thought "Right, it's gone on for 100 minutes now, let's just stop it here".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I'm not usually a fan of George Clooney, but he suited the role perfectly and the direction wasn't half bad either.

I love Ryan Gosling. This wasn't my favourite role of his, but he did it well and held his own with two of my favourite actors, Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Special mention to Marisa Tomei who I just adore anyway.

Decent plot, great acting, but as the poster above mentioned, it did have an abrupt ending which usually I would moan about but the loose ends had been tied up in my mind, so I wasn't too concerned.

I'd say it's an Oscar contender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Thinking again about the Oscar thing, depending on the quality of nominations this year, Gosling could get a Best Actor nod (after he wasn't nominated last year for Blue Valentine). Any of the others could get Supporting (But I'd go with Philip Seymour Hoffman) and I think definitely Best Adapted Screenplay.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    SourCherry wrote: »
    I love Ryan Gosling. This wasn't my favourite role of his, but he did it well and held his own with two of my favourite actors, Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Special mention to Marisa Tomei who I just adore anyway.
    What a powerhouse of acting from them two...in this film, and Ryan held his own.....Great film.8/10

And I've only seen Evan Rachel Wood, in three or four film's/TV ....and every time I see her, she keeps on getting better, ...major star in the making.
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw it tonight and it is a great film, don't think you could go wrong with the acting talent there was though.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    saw it last night. I liked it but thought it was a bit predictable and a slightly curious clash of political naivety and idealism and cynicism about the whole political process.
    I doubt if Clooney wasn't involved that it would have been made or released at any rate, so credit to him for continuing to do intelligent films.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it!

Could easily have watched another half hour TBH and was left wanting a lot more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    What a powerhouse of acting from them two...in this film, and Ryan held his own.....Great film.8/10

And I've only seen Evan Rachel Wood, in three or four film's/TV ....and every time I see her, she keeps on getting better, ...major star in the making.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Evan Rachel Wood. As you said, with Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman, I sort of forgot about most of the others. She's great though. Have you seen Thirteen? Love that film.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was absolutely fantastic, and probably the best film I have seen this year so far. Some really top notch acting turns from the lead cast, an intelligent, thought provoking script and a deliciously ambiguous ending (cannot believe there are some people up thread b*tching about it, if you can't see why it was a wonderful way to end it you possibly missed the whole point!) - one of the best political dramas of recent years for sure.

If I was to critise anything one or two of the plot twists were quite easy to see coming
    (Paul being the source of the leak, the interns suicide)
    but thats me being a bit nit picky really.

9/10