The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Mr Selfridge is doing very well with a steady 6m audience every week and consistently growing on its lead-in. Ripper Street took a knock from the week off and Mr S was comfortably ahead last night. Anyone else think that 4.7m, whilst decent, could be better considering the lead-in (especially as, unlike when ITV shows have a big lead-in there isn't a 5 minute advert break separating the two shows)? It's doing fine but it isn't outstanding.

I don't know
    - the issue of a lead-in can help the show at first by attracting more viewers to watch but after that the show itself has to hold its own and keep the viewers steady i.e. the midwife helped ripper street during the third episode but after that ripper street had to hold its own and couldn't keep relying on the midwife lead-in.
    - ripper street was never meant to be in this timeslot (it was originally the paradise)- ripper street with its gore, violence, nudity and VERY HIGH MALE SKEW was never the ideal sunday primetime drama. The fact that it is getting decent numbers on a sunday night slot against a much more female friendly Mr Selfridge does actually speak well
    - if anything ITV should be worried because given the money (at least 10 million), advertising, downton slot, they clearly expected selfridge to be getting higher ratings (but still 6 million overnight is okay) but the BBC will definitely be putting a better show against selfridge next year (i.e. comedy block, or a much more female friendly period drama) which could dent selfridge more.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    No it didn't. The SD only figure was 3.63m, so nowhere near "dipped to 3m"....

Well, it was in the 3m range. Maybe i'd have been better off saying 'below 4m' but it's hardly an issue.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    :) - So does anyone know if that marks an increase on last week?

Definitely an increase. It had 944k exc +1 last week, and less than 100k on +1 (can't check right now) so it's at least 200k up, all told.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Bits and bobs from MediaGuardian (figs inc +1):

- Toy Story 2 gets 1.2m on ITV2 in the afternoon. Must be a share of 8-9% by my reckoning. Helps the channel score 4.0% in all-day share.
    - Wigan v Huddersfield: overall av 2.5m (16.4%), match av 2.7m, 5-min peak 3.1m.
    - Chelsea v Brentford: overall av 2.2m (24.2%), match av 2.7m, peak 3.3m.
    - ESPN: Man City v Leeds: av 412k, peak 666k.

(Teams may be wrong way round as I'm not sure who was at home - or if they play at neutral grounds)

Wigan were away, the rest are as listed. Neutral grounds for the 2 semi-finals in April.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Wigan were away, the rest are as listed. Neutral grounds for the 2 semi-finals in April.

Thanks. I'll be Alan Hansen, before you know it. :D
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    data for w/e 10th February 2013 now live on BARB

blah blah blah

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely an increase. It had 944k exc +1 last week, and less than 100k on +1 (can't check right now) so it's at least 200k up, all told.

Good to know.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ripper St was sunk by the BAFTAs. People didn't watch RS last Sunday and will have assumed it had finished.

No other reason for it to have dropped when it was pretty much neck and neck with Selfridge beforehand.

The BSI boo-booed yet again...

It certainly didnt help missing the week. RS is excellent. The only downside to me is the American character and the tendency for the show to look and feel like a western sometimes -last night even had a kind of gunslingers shootout, and they decided to lose a character that had become quite well liked which was a bad move imo.
    There were probably American influences at the time, but the era to me has a perhaps stereotyped fog and Sherlock Holmesesque image rather than the OK Corral which last nights was starting to resemble to me.
    Otherwise, strong for Countryfile and CTM and I hope Blandings gets another series as its grown on me and is beautifully absurd escapism.(I notice adverts pushing the dvd release recently).
    Much of a muchness for DOI, but I guess ITV will only replace it if they have a schedule which is going to bring in more viewers.That would involve some schedule surgery I reckon.I wonder what ITV bosses had actually hoped for Selfridge-another DA ? Figures are kind of betwixt and between but its solid-in line with a number of BBC efforts in that hot Tuesday 9.00 slot.
    Overall well done BBC -what should happen imo is that the best shows should be placed in the depths of winter to bring in the best audiences and the strong start to 2013 is testament to that.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    I would enjoy a week of scheduling at the beeb as they sometimes donno how to maximise their hits and bolster an audience from their top shows

Miranda hart has a follow on audience from midwife. Viewers became fully aware of her last year after she appeared in midwife. Only fools became a solid winter hit in its sunday comedy slot. As did one foot in january during the 90's alongside boosting the curious so haunt me sitcom which ran close to one foot on sunday evenings. So I think there was an opportunity there and mr selfridge would have been strangled a bit its now found an audience and is a hit and off and running. Itv have found a new success. I think shetland would also have settled in after the comedy hour ended its run.

Ripper street would have battled lewis. The comedy hour suffered from a turbulent schedule. Call the midwife peaks at 8.50 pm but panaroma rarely reaches over 3.5 million. So the comedy hour never received midwifes inheritance

It suggests viewers are perhaps luke warm to ripper street. 4.7 is a million behind mr selfridge and asignificant drop from mifwife 8 and 9 million lead in. The slot average last year for sunday at 9pm on bbc one was around 6 million.
    Forum Member
    I don't know
    - the issue of a lead-in can help the show at first by attracting more viewers to watch but after that the show itself has to hold its own and keep the viewers steady i.e. the midwife helped ripper street during the third episode but after that ripper street had to hold its own and couldn't keep relying on the midwife lead-in.
    - ripper street was never meant to be in this timeslot (it was originally the paradise)- ripper street with its gore, violence, nudity and VERY HIGH MALE SKEW was never the ideal sunday primetime drama. The fact that it is getting decent numbers on a sunday night slot against a much more female friendly Mr Selfridge does actually speak well
    - if anything ITV should be worried because given the money (at least 10 million), advertising, downton slot, they clearly expected selfridge to be getting higher ratings (but still 6 million overnight is okay) but the BBC will definitely be putting a better show against selfridge next year (i.e. comedy block, or a much more female friendly period drama) which could dent selfridge more.

Mmm makes sense now why ripper went after midwife. The paradise would have been ideal either before or after the midwife. But obviously there was no room for it.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    DS confirms 163k on +1 for PoI, which makes a total of 1.23m.

EDIT: As correctly calculated by eterry21.
    Oh, that is good. And a relief. :)

Meanwhile in the officials...

PERSON OF INTEREST (SUN 10 FEBRUARY 2101) 1.32m
    PERSON OF INTEREST (SUN 10 FEBRUARY 2201) 204,000

Also...

DALLAS (TUE 5 FEBRUARY 2102) 1.22m
    DALLAS (TUE 5 FEBRUARY 2202) 160,000

That's a big old timeshift for Dallas' final instalment at 9pm. It almost doubled its audience in the official numbers! :eek:

Obviously doesn't change the fact that not nearly enough people were watching live (and in turn the adverts) though. But a bit of a worry to see any drama on 5 adding such a high percentage on timeshift.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BREAKING NEWS: Richard Briers (The Good Life, Ever Decreasing Circles, etc) has died aged 79.
    I can see a night of telly dedicated to him on BBC2 soon, and deservedly so.

Oh no, how sad. A national institution and star of two of the best and best-loved sitcoms of all time.

Didn't realise he was in ill health.

I don't know about a night of BBC2 dedicated to him, he deserves something special from BBC1 - he is up there with Morecambe and Wise, Davids Attenborough and Jason, and the Ronnies, as symbolic figureheads of the channel.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've looked back as far as January 2006 and can find only five live broadcasts of club matches on ITV starting between 16:55 and 18:05 on a Saturday night. They are all FA Cup matches, and are shown below in descending order of consolidated ratings, which spookily is also the chronological order.

Ooh, I'm going to fill these in...

1. 24 Jan 2009 (16:57-19:17): 5.48m (27.5%)
    * Fourth round proper of 2008/09 FA Cup
    Man U vs Spurs*

2. 02 Jan 2010 (16:59-19:16): 4.875m (21.75%)
    * Third round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Reading vs Liverpool

3. 23 Jan 2010 (16:59-19:20): 4.72m (22.4%)
    * Fourth round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Spurs vs Leeds

4. 13 Feb 2010 (16:59-19:21): 3.86m (18.7%)
    * Fifth round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Er, I think this was Man City vs Stoke

5. 06 Mar 2010 (16:59-19:27): 3.46m (17.8%)
    * Sixth round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup [/QUOTE]
    Fulham vs Spurs

The latter was affected by the fact there was a Man U match opposite it on ESPN, so presumably all their fans were watching that. There's been far more Saturday teatime matches than that but often they've rather pointlessly started the build-up at about 4.30 for a 5.15 kick-off, which is a waste of time as before five o'clock football fans are watching the results of the 3pm games.

* This match was responsible for someone from ITV writing to The Guardian and saying it was wrong to say their FA Cup matches were rating lower than when they were on the Beeb because that match had been played in the same round the year before and on the Beeb it had 500,000 fewer viewers. And I wrote in to say that wasn't much of a surprise, as the Beeb showed it at 2pm and ITV at 5.15.
    ronant wrote: »
    I totally believe the only thing that needs to happen is it needs to move to the BBC. There's been so much magic in the cup this year. Strong teams have been fielded and there have been some very exciting upsets. But it's simply not showcased properly.

How does that explain the success of the Champions League? That does perfectly well without the Beeb. And the other argument is that it gets top priority on ITV whereas on the Beeb it comes in second place behind the Premier League, hence the arguments we used to get here when the Beeb didn't show all the goals from the opening rounds as they couldn't fit all of them and the Premier League on Match of the Day. I would argue you get more benefit from being on the same channel as the Premier League rather than against it but it's a simplistic and incorrect answer that people don't watch football on ITV. England matches in the World Cup do just as well on ITV.
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Lazy? I don't really follow the logic of this. It airs for 4 weeks a year - it's not exactly overkill. I'm not sure where the comparison to The One Show comes in? In 5 years, Let's Dance has probably managed about the same number of on-air hours as a single run of Strictly.

I'm glad someone said this, there are hundreds more overexposed programmes on television than Let's Dance. Even if it is series five, loads of light entertainment shows get flogged to death. It's series five of Take Me Out, and surely the marathon runs of that are far lazier than four episodes of Let's Dance a year. And there's the thing I said yesterday about how the main aim is to make money, so they require familiar, big hitting brands.
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Football wise they did it last year with the league cup. Okay this year its a smaller game but I haven't heard a word about it. I am sure if the BBC had some coverage like previous years they would be building it up already.

The reason the League Cup Final is getting less publicity is because this year it's not a very inspiring fixture whereas last year Liverpool were in it. It's not getting subdued coverage because it's not on the BBC, it's because it's only on a pay channel. That's nothing to do with BBC vs ITV, the only way it could be is if this year it's on ITV, which it isn't. And the reason the League Cup Final got big ratings on the Beeb is because it's on a Sunday in the middle of February, not a Saturday in the middle of May.
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    The decisions were further complicated by the Chelsea replay which could have gone to ET and penalties and the need for the QF draw to be at a set time

I don't see why the draw had to be at a set time, it affects nobody, other than Mark Pougatch getting home for his tea. Nobody broadcasting the draw wouldn't also have broadcast the Chelsea replay. It would have been better to swap the two ITV games over, and the chance of Chelsea going to penalties at home to Brentford was minute.

But you're always struggling in the fifth round because five out of the eight matches are televised, which is far too many and at least one of them isn't going to be any good. Four is more than enough, and indeed even when there were four the fourth pick was often pretty rubbish. In 2004, Arsenal vs Chelsea was the Beeb's first pick but it could only be played on Sunday lunchtime so on Saturday teatime the Beeb showed the fourth pick, Sunderland vs Birmingham. And on Valentine's Day to boot. The year before Man U vs Arsenal was the first pick but Wolves vs Rochdale was the Beeb's other game. But at least in that instance they could show it on BBC2.

Nothing to do with ITV, of course, it's the FA's fault for offering so many televised games.
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Didn't the BBC have something called Business Breakfast? My mind is failing me.

Business Breakfast was initially most of the opening half hour of Breakfast News, when it began at 6.30, and then from 1993 became a show in its own right from 6-7am, with Breakfast News starting at 7am (there was still news and stuff in Business Breakfast, but business dominated). Breakfast News was such a boring programme, though, basically a three hour news programme. The Breakfast we have now is a hundred times better because you still have a proper news service but more relaxed and welcoming. It's what they should have done when Breakfast Time changed in 1986 but the change then was too jarring and it took twenty years to recover.
    Back on topic, I see Newsnight is still listed for tonight, but don't know if previous editions were cancelled on strike days.

There's no chance that'll go out, it never has on a strike day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    boosting the curious so haunt me sitcom

So Haunt Me launched with over 14m!

It was so pants everyone expected it to bomb, but if I recall it kept around 12-13m, baffling everyone!

Then again, it would be one of the funniest sitcoms on telly if it aired now...
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A huge timeshift of 2.75m!! for the last episode of Mrs Brown's Boys.

Here are the averages..

Series 1 (Feb 2011): (10:35pm Monday - BBC1/HD)

Episode 1: 2.84m
    Episode 2: 3.19m
    Episode 3: 3.48m
    Episode 4: 3.85m
    Episode 5: 3.94m
    Episode 6: 4.11m

Average: 3.57m

Series 2 (Jan 2012) : (9:30pm Monday/Saturday - BBC1/HD)

Christmas Special: 8.24m (Boxing Day 2011)

Episode 1: 6.60m
    Episode 2: 6.29m
    Episode 3: 6.37m
    Episode 4: 7.05m
    Episode 5: 7.25m
    Episode 6: 8.31m

Average: 7.16m

Series 3 (Jan 2013): (9:30pm Monday - BBC1/HD)

Christmas Special: 11.68m (Xmas Eve 2012)
    Christmas Special: 10.72m (Boxing Day 2012)

Episode 1: 9.78m
    Episode 2: 9.20m
    Episode 3: 9.66m
    Episode 4: 9.26m
    Episode 5: 9.46m
    Episode 6: 9.18m

Average: 9.87m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For readers not old enough to remember So Haunt Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z7tQ_jyj3A

I think it was Raquel from OFAH and George "Bob" (off of Rita, Sue and Bob Too) Costigan being the leads that got the viewers in, plus the fact it was sandwiched between Lovejoy (??) and One Foot against ITV bought-in TV movies, but strangely watching the first few minutes now it's not bad at all.

It was probably the rubbish with the ghost that did for it. Think it ran for at least 3 series though.
    Forum Member
    CBBC's top 2 looks interesting.

1 THE DUMPING GROUND (FRI 1659) 594
    2 THE DUMPING GROUND (SUN 1002) 357

Disney Channel looks a lot healthier also.

1 JESSIE (MON 1652) 256
    2 JESSIE (FRI 1641) 202
    3 JESSIE (MON 1627) 198
    4 JESSIE (TUE 1651) 196
    5 JESSIE (FRI 1705) 196
    6 JESSIE (THU 1651) 194
    7 JESSIE (WED 1652) 181
    8 DOG WITH A BLOG (FRI 1729) 170
    9 GOOD LUCK CHARLIE (TUE 1716) 157
    10 JESSIE (MON 1602) 155
    Forum Member
    So haunt me had huge ratings on a sunday evenings but it was launched around other more popular programmes which is why id be keen to see bbc one using that winter sunday slot to give their comedy shows the chance to add a couple of further million to the already good ratings.
    Forum Member
    Almost forgot - how is Got to Dance doing for it's live editions on Sky1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look what I found - a snippet of the almost forgotten 1990s If You See God Tell Him, starring a befuddled Richard Briers, from the pen of David "One Foot.." Renwick, a comedy drama very much in the One Foot vein but nowhere near as well received - criminally.

Look at the young Clunes as the estate agent, back in the day when millions watched anything with him in it, one of many big names in all-star cast of Renwick fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bADb4bKGsg
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, I'm going to fill these in...

1. 24 Jan 2009 (16:57-19:17): 5.48m (27.5%)
    * Fourth round proper of 2008/09 FA Cup
    Man U vs Spurs*

2. 02 Jan 2010 (16:59-19:16): 4.875m (21.75%)
    * Third round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Reading vs Liverpool

3. 23 Jan 2010 (16:59-19:20): 4.72m (22.4%)
    * Fourth round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Spurs vs Leeds

4. 13 Feb 2010 (16:59-19:21): 3.86m (18.7%)
    * Fifth round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Er, I think this was Man City vs Stoke

5. 06 Mar 2010 (16:59-19:27): 3.46m (17.8%)
    * Sixth round proper of 2009/10 FA Cup
    Fulham vs Spurs

The latter was affected by the fact there was a Man U match opposite it on ESPN, so presumably all their fans were watching that. There's been far more Saturday teatime matches than that but often they've rather pointlessly started the build-up at about 4.30 for a 5.15 kick-off, which is a waste of time as before five o'clock football fans are watching the results of the 3pm games.

* This match was responsible for someone from ITV writing to The Guardian and saying it was wrong to say their FA Cup matches were rating lower than when they were on the Beeb because that match had been played in the same round the year before and on the Beeb it had 500,000 fewer viewers. And I wrote in to say that wasn't much of a surprise, as the Beeb showed it at 2pm and ITV at 5.15.

How does that explain the success of the Champions League? That does perfectly well without the Beeb. And the other argument is that it gets top priority on ITV whereas on the Beeb it comes in second place behind the Premier League, hence the arguments we used to get here when the Beeb didn't show all the goals from the opening rounds as they couldn't fit all of them and the Premier League on Match of the Day. I would argue you get more benefit from being on the same channel as the Premier League rather than against it but it's a simplistic and incorrect answer that people don't watch football on ITV. England matches in the World Cup do just as well on ITV.

I'm glad someone said this, there are hundreds more overexposed programmes on television than Let's Dance. Even if it is series five, loads of light entertainment shows get flogged to death. It's series five of Take Me Out, and surely the marathon runs of that are far lazier than four episodes of Let's Dance a year. And there's the thing I said yesterday about how the main aim is to make money, so they require familiar, big hitting brands.

The reason the League Cup Final is getting less publicity is because this year it's not a very inspiring fixture whereas last year Liverpool were in it. It's not getting subdued coverage because it's not on the BBC, it's because it's only on a pay channel. That's nothing to do with BBC vs ITV, the only way it could be is if this year it's on ITV, which it isn't. And the reason the League Cup Final got big ratings on the Beeb is because it's on a Sunday in the middle of February, not a Saturday in the middle of May.

I don't see why the draw had to be at a set time, it affects nobody, other than Mark Pougatch getting home for his tea. Nobody broadcasting the draw wouldn't also have broadcast the Chelsea replay. It would have been better to swap the two ITV games over, and the chance of Chelsea going to penalties at home to Brentford was minute.

But you're always struggling in the fifth round because five out of the eight matches are televised, which is far too many and at least one of them isn't going to be any good. Four is more than enough, and indeed even when there were four the fourth pick was often pretty rubbish. In 2004, Arsenal vs Chelsea was the Beeb's first pick but it could only be played on Sunday lunchtime so on Saturday teatime the Beeb showed the fourth pick, Sunderland vs Birmingham. And on Valentine's Day to boot. The year before Man U vs Arsenal was the first pick but Wolves vs Rochdale was the Beeb's other game. But at least in that instance they could show it on BBC2.

Nothing to do with ITV, of course, it's the FA's fault for offering so many televised games.

Business Breakfast was initially most of the opening half hour of Breakfast News, when it began at 6.30, and then from 1993 became a show in its own right from 6-7am, with Breakfast News starting at 7am (there was still news and stuff in Business Breakfast, but business dominated). Breakfast News was such a boring programme, though, basically a three hour news programme. The Breakfast we have now is a hundred times better because you still have a proper news service but more relaxed and welcoming. It's what they should have done when Breakfast Time changed in 1986 but the change then was too jarring and it took twenty years to recover.

There's no chance that'll go out, it never has on a strike day.[/QUOTE]

BBC1 now shows BBC World's World Business Report 5.30-6 a.m. It's worth watching if only to see Naga Munchetty desperately trying to bigfoot her co-presenter (usually Sally Bundock) and failing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC1 now shows BBC World's World Business Report 5.30-6 a.m. It's worth watching if only to see Naga Munchetty desperately trying to bigfoot her co-presenter (usually Sally Bundock) and failing.

Or "Ahhhhh Naga Munchetty" as I call her.

On the basis whenever I see her on screen I purr aloud (without even thinking about whether the current Mrs Sykes is in the room) "Ahhhh Naga Munchetty"...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=909&tbm=isch&tbnid=hm0rCxkgLCmZbM:&imgrefurl=http://twicsy.com/i/XbCT9b&docid=jpJRkjvyweskGM&imgurl=http://p.twimg.com/A0KTB65CUAEYNTi.jpg:large&w=1024&h=1820&ei=l0kiUbC3F6Xs0gW-fQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:14,s:0,i:151&iact=rc&dur=1354&sig=102579038199190708774&page=1&tbnh=209&tbnw=114&start=0&ndsp=23&tx=55&ty=98

I'll be setting my alarm for half five every morning now!
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Ripper St was sunk by the BAFTAs. People didn't watch RS last Sunday and will have assumed it had finished.

No other reason for it to have dropped when it was pretty much neck and neck with Selfridge beforehand.

The BSI boo-booed yet again...
    I didn't expect you to mention the BSI today Robbie. ;)

Did the BAFTAs knock 0.5m off Top Gear too? Top Gear is actually down more than Ripper Street was.

I don't see what else the Beeb could have done apart from air Ripper Street on another night last week which it would have dropped even more or moved the whole series around just to prevent a drop of 0.4m.

And given that you like to mention that "overnights are increasing irrelevant" aren't you jumping then gun a littlw considering Ripper Street timeshifts and iPlayers pretty well.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or "Ahhhhh Naga Munchetty" as I call her.

On the basis whenever I see her on screen I purr aloud (without even thinking about whether the current Mrs Sykes is in the room) "Ahhhh Naga Munchetty"...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=909&tbm=isch&tbnid=hm0rCxkgLCmZbM:&imgrefurl=http://twicsy.com/i/XbCT9b&docid=jpJRkjvyweskGM&imgurl=http://p.twimg.com/A0KTB65CUAEYNTi.jpg:large&w=1024&h=1820&ei=l0kiUbC3F6Xs0gW-fQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:14,s:0,i:151&iact=rc&dur=1354&sig=102579038199190708774&page=1&tbnh=209&tbnw=114&start=0&ndsp=23&tx=55&ty=98

I'll be setting my alarm for half five every morning now!

She isn't on on Fridays, there's a rather camp Australian bloke if you like that sort of thing:eek:
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    A few points:
    So haunt me had huge ratings on a sunday evenings but it was launched around other more popular programmes which is why id be keen to see bbc one using that winter sunday slot to give their comedy shows the chance to add a couple of further million to the already good ratings

- In regards to complaints about BBC scheduling- what else could they put after call the midwife. Everyone says miranda/mrs brown boys but then the monday comedy block is empty so what should they schedule for monday nights.
    - The BBC can't put all their high rating shows on sunday nights. Plus, a call the midwife lead-in works only for the first episode- after that the show (i.e. ripper street) has to hold its viewers on its own.
    I wonder what ITV bosses had actually hoped for Selfridge-another DA ? Figures are kind of betwixt and between but its solid-in line with a number of BBC efforts in that hot Tuesday 9.00 slot.

- Given the sunday primetime slot (also previous downton slot), the sheer advertising (e.g. the next downton abbey), the ordering of TEN episodes (instead of the normal 8), the money spent (at least 10 million), its obvious they wanted but also expected DA ratings (nonetheless, 6 million overnight is good enough for a sunday night primetime slot).
    - The coveted sunday night primetime slot can do wonders for most shows (I believe it can add an extra 1-2 million viewers, maybe 3 million). Most shows that come on sunday night would undoubtedly shed viewers on weeknights. That is why shows that come on weeknights (i.e. tuesday 9pm slot) and attract high ratings should be respected more because they do not have the huge advantage of a sunday night slot (its why its call primetime).
    And given that you like to mention that "overnights are increasing irrelevant" aren't you jumping then gun a littlw considering Ripper Street timeshifts and iPlayers pretty well.

- Does BARB or the official ratings count iplayer ratings because you are right that a lot of shows get high iplayer views nowadays.

- Also, could someone give me the breakdown for mr selfridge and ripper street last night. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.