Cutting energy bills and why so few people switch suppliers

13»

Comments

• Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I have just had / paid my Eon electric bill. I thought prices had gone up, but the bill is down. Its even cheaper than the summer bills. Very odd. I have been paying £195-£200 per quarter. This time is was £185 exactly.

My last two bills were £185.75 and £185.25 and I don't think they were estimates.

The last one usually is over £200 at that time of year.
  • Options
    Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    Why are gas and electricity so expensive ?
    Why do so few people switch suppliers to get the cheapest deal, the driver of competition to reduce prices ?
    I believe finding the answers to the second question will solve the first.
    People don`t switch for two main reasons :
    1 It is a load of hassle, particularly as it involves cancelling then resetting up direct debits and trawling through loads of esoteric tariffs to try and work out which will be cheaper.
    2 Most people think it`s a waste of time switching anyway because if one supplier is cheaper this week they`ll probably put their prices up to match (or exceed) the others, so it`s just not worth it.

My solution is for the government to legislate that energy companies must all charge the same standing charge and they cannot charge less for direct debit payment or for customers buying both from one supplier or for signing up for a fixed term. The only variable between the companies would be the basic rate they charge for gas and electricity. Thus it`d be simple to check which energy company was the cheapest and tended to be the cheapest over time. Furthermore all that would be required for those intent on following the cheapest deal would be one phone call or click of a mouse, because you wouldn`t need to fart about changing direct debits, just pay with a card.

I think this is the only way to introduce a genuinely competitive energy market and ensure the cheapest prices for customers.

So the energy regulator thinks that the energy companies are overcharging (wholesale price drops not reflected in lower bills for customers) and people should vote with their feet. But they won`t, it`s not worth it, for the reasons stated in the thread opener. Until they force all energy companies to charge their customers in the same way (and outlaw charging extra for non dircet debit payments) the energy marketplace will not, indeed cannot, work properly.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left NPower last October. Last month I got my final bill (yup six months later). They owe me £141. After two phone calls they claim (hah!) that I'll be getting a cheque within the next seven days. So that's seven months in total. Assuming the cheque actually arrives.

And Ofgem wonder why people are reluctant to change :(

Oh and if anyone else is waiting on NPower it seems that you actually have to ask for the money back. Apparently my first call wasn't handled properly so no refund instruction was set up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I left NPower last October. Last month I got my final bill (yup six months later). They owe me £141. After two phone calls they claim (hah!) that I'll be getting a cheque within the next seven days. So that's seven months in total. Assuming the cheque actually arrives.

And Ofgem wonder why people are reluctant to change :(

Oh and if anyone else is waiting on NPower it seems that you actually have to ask for the money back. Apparently my first call wasn't handled properly so no refund instruction was set up.

Let`s get this right, you have to ask for your own money back ? ! ? That`s appalling. It reminds me of when I signed up for a Vodaphone mobile back in about 2000. The deal was you got 6 months line rental free at the start of the second year. I couldn`t understand it when, 12 months later, my DD kept going through. Eventually, after taking a hell of a long time to get to speak to anyone on the phone I was told I actually had to claim for it or I`d continue to get charged ! Obviously they were hoping customers would just forget about it. Ever since then I`ve thought Vodaphone were a bunch of Shysters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let`s get this right, you have to ask for your own money back ? ! ? That`s appalling.
    So it seems. The final bill they sent through didn't say how they were going to refund me. No mention of it at all. I rang them up and the agent said they'd organise a refund. Nothing happened so after two weeks (yesterday) I called again and the lady I spoke to said 'It doesn't look like they've actually put the request in'.

So it seems to me that, yes, you actually have to ask for your refund otherwise they do nothing.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIng up your supplier with a nice sob story, make sure you mention that one member of the household is legally disabled.

Never pay again, and they cannot shut it off as you have a disabled person in the house (I think elderly counts as well, but could be wrong on that).

They will do the "You are going to court so bad you wrong un" for about 2 years, then they will give up. Worst comes to worst, just switch, pay a few months, then just let it slide.

Did that for 4 years whilst at Uni and only paid for about 2 months worth.

I never lose sleep thinking of them CEOs having less money to pay the CIA to go and **** up some nation in order to secure cheap oil rates. And I sleep quite nice with the heating on full blast all winter, its like a tropical holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Did that for 4 years whilst at Uni and only paid for about 2 months worth.

I never lose sleep thinking of them CEOs having less money to pay the CIA to go and **** up some nation in order to secure cheap oil rates. And I sleep quite nice with the heating on full blast all winter, its like a tropical holiday.
    Do you lose sleep over the fact that people like me who pay for what they use helped pay for you? Because your bizarre whining about the CEO is misdirected and irrelevant. Any business cost (and that includes corporation tax as well as parasites not paying what they owe) is just passed on to paying customers.

So thanks for stealing from me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do so few people switch suppliers to get the cheapest deal, the driver of competition to reduce prices ?
    1 It is a load of hassle, particularly as it involves cancelling then resetting up direct debits and trawling through loads of esoteric tariffs to try and work out which will be cheaper.
    2 Most people think it`s a waste of time switching anyway because if one supplier is cheaper this week they`ll probably put their prices up to match (or exceed) the others, so it`s just not worth it.

My solution is for the government to legislate that energy companies must all charge the same standing charge and they cannot charge less for direct debit payment or for customers buying both from one supplier or for signing up for a fixed term. The only variable between the companies would be the basic rate they charge for gas and electricity. Thus it`d be simple to check which energy company was the cheapest and tended to be the cheapest over time. Furthermore all that would be required for those intent on following the cheapest deal would be one phone call or click of a mouse, because you wouldn`t need to fart about changing direct debits, just pay with a card.

I think this is the only way to introduce a genuinely competitive energy market and ensure the cheapest prices for customers.

Well it`s nice to see that (according to The Times 30 Mar 15) Which? agree with me..... Apparently they think that a totally simple energy tariff structure that all the energy companies must adhere to would be by far the best way to encourage competition in the energy market and hence cut prices. They call it a "petrol station style" pricing structure, the only variable would be the basic price per unit with the standing charge incorporated within that. It would be simple to see which is the cheapest supplier and, just as importantly, make it simple to see which energy company was the cheapest over time or prove if over time all of them really are much of a muchness, as many suspect they are.

Interestingly I wrote to Ed Davey (SofS for Energy) suggesting this 18 months ago, rather predictably he wasn`t interested.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switched our electricity with effect from 02 Jan 2014 to the small company First Utility from British Gas. Took a few minutes online, switch was a doddle and First Utility even supplied and fitted a smart meter, so no more estimated bills and at the end of each month I can go online and calculate my own bill even before it's issued online.

On top of all this my saving for 2014 was £350.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They call it a "petrol station style" pricing structure, the only variable would be the basic price per unit with the standing charge incorporated within that

didnt they just a year or so ago get rid of all the no standing charge options to make it easier to understand. i think they just made it worse. they are all doing it lower unit price higher standing charge or the other way around.

my water company have just done the same thing got rid of the no standing charge option and consequent my bill has now gone up 133%
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don`t know whether to laugh or cry, the BBC report :

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has proposed a price cap for all households using pre-payment meters.
    It has also proposed that the regulator, Ofgem, keeps a database of customers that have been on a standard rate for three years.
    This database will then be opened up so these customers can be targeted directly by other suppliers.
    The proposals are designed to reform the energy market and increase competition to help consumers save money.
    The CMA also proposed:
    ◾ending the restriction on suppliers to offer just four tariffs

Other than capping the price fo pre payment meters that is a total waste of time and effort.
    The CMA`s answer is to target those who don`t switch with yet more junk mail ! Then, exactly the opposite of what they should do, they want to muddy the waters of competition by encouraging the power companies to offer yet more tariffs !
    These people, the CMA, are totally out of touch and are a total and utter waste of space. What they should have done is in the quote above......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was listening to R4`s Today programme this morning about why so few people switch and I was nearly throwing things at the soddin` radio. People don`t switch for the reasons in the opener :

Having a database of those who haven`t switched so they can be targeted with yet more junk mail is an idea only a cretin would have.....

I did think it was great to see the Energy Suppliers representative squirming when the interviewer said why do you discriminate against your most loyal customers (i.e. give them the worst deals) ? She couldn`t answer that other than to say other industries do that, like that`s OK then. No it`s bleedin` not OK. Come down hard on eth energy companies, force them to all use the same ultra simple tariff structure so it`s transparent who is the cheapest. They`d hate that, thus proving that`s what we should be doing !
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    we have just changed again, after changing 2 years ago, our monthly payments were about to go up from 130 to 170 so I looked around and swapped, now it will be 85 a month :) ( sorry cant use pound signs my keyboard has gone haywire and swapped all my symbols around)!