112th Birthday of Jorge Luis Borges

njpnjp Posts: 27,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So says today's little Google celebratory icon thingy (is there a name for that?)

Leaving aside the question of whether a dead person ought to be having a birthday, are there any Borges fans in the house?

I read Labyrinths (a collection of short stories) in the early 1980s, and some of the images and concepts remain with me still. But I don't think I've ever managed to convert anyone - the book having been returned to me largely unread on several occasions. Too difficult, they say. Or too weird.

The Library of Babel is one of my favourites. Any takers?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I loved "The Circular Ruins" by him - never saw that ending coming at all! Don't want to spoil it !! He's a genius at writing and this has reminded me how good he is - I'll need to get a few more books of his off Amazon now.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I f*ckin' LOVE Borges. Was first introduced to his stuff by a lecturer of mine many years ago who had a magnificent inability to ever stick to the point. I think the lecture was supposed to be about Umberto Eco, but he got sidetracked and gave us an hour on JLB instead. (The step-off point being Borgo, the blind librarian in The Name Of The Rose, obviously!) As soon as the lecture finished I went out and bought Labyrinths, and was an instant convert.

Which reminds me- have a couple of long train journeys in the next few days and have been trying to decide what to read on them. That Borges "Collected Fictions" looks like just the ticket. There're a lot in there I haven't got round to yet.