Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,644
    Forum Member
    Yet its noted that you rang m'lord was david crofts favourite out of everything he created and that's because he felt it had a dramatic element to it.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Some good ratings for Channel 5. Person Of Interest was in a very competitive slot. Wonders Of Life on BBC2 was strong along with the ITV/BBC1 dramas.
    It was highly competitive. I'm just chuffed that the great TV legend @BeingBoycie was amongst the viewers choosing Person of Interest. A man with great taste!!

I still believe PoI can grow with time as the competition (inevitably) eases up. Once Upon a Time's return in the spring will also help.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Yet its noted that you rang m'lord was david crofts favourite out of everything he created and that's because he felt it had a dramatic element to it.

And that's even more shocking than the poor quality of the scripts! I preferred the shows Croft did with Jeremy Lloyd. At theire peaks there were more laughs in 'Allo 'Allo and Are You Being Served than any of the shows he did with Jimmy Perry. I know people love Dad's Army but for laughs I think Hi-De-Hi is much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It was highly competitive. I'm just chuffed that the great TV legend @BeingBoycie was amongst the viewers choosing Person of Interest. A man with great taste!!

I still believe PoI can grow with time as the competition (inevitably) eases up. Once Upon a Time's return in the spring will also help.
    Once Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge are out of the way, Person of Interest will hopefully face some easier competition.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    To answer my own question about the FA Cup on ITV, the peak was 7.09m (33%) around the final whistle at 17:50. Average looks to be around the 5m mark.
    Once Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge are out of the way, Person of Interest will hopefully face some easier competition.
    I think part of the thinking behind the Sunday night slot was probably the success of Homeland there. But Homeland only had to compete with Downton, and they are rather different anyway. There's surely more of a crossover between Ripper Street and Person of Interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10.79m for Call The Midwife last week from 9.31m. A timeshift of around 1.5m, last year timeshifts were roughly 1.8m.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's even more shocking than the poor quality of the scripts! I preferred the shows Croft did with Jeremy Lloyd. At theire peaks there were more laughs in 'Allo 'Allo and Are You Being Served than any of the shows he did with Jimmy Perry. I know people love Dad's Army but for laughs I think Hi-De-Hi is much better.

Oh I liked You Rang My Lord. It didn't start that well but I think the longer episode length gave them a problem early on. It got much stronger after the first year.

It can't have done that badly ratings wise if they kept it going for 4 series, it came to a pretty natural end rather than being strung out for too long like Allo Allo, Hi-De-Hi or the train wreck that was the last few years of Are You Being Served.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10.79m for Call The Midwife last week from 9.31m. A timeshift of around 1.5m, last year timeshifts were roughly 1.8m.

Thats stil pretty good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Oh I liked You Rang My Lord. It didn't start that well but I think the longer episode length gave them a problem early on. It got much stronger after the first year.

It can't have done that badly ratings wise if they kept it going for 4 series, it came to a pretty natural end rather than being strung out for too long like Allo Allo, Hi-De-Hi or the train wreck that was the last few years of Are You Being Served.

I stand corrected. I still remember You Rang M'Lord being a solid hit rather than a big one.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we had the final BARB Top 50 for 2012 yet ?
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    You Rang M'Lord?

Sundays?

7.15pm ish

1990's

doesn't ring a bell ;)

anyhoo do you guys already know the consolidated figure for CTM?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive commission for The Chase:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a454284/the-chase-gets-300-more-episodes-24-celeb-specials-on-itv.html

Also, I have now also lost access to the database. :( Does anyone have an official rating (including +1 if possible) for last week's Mr Selfridge? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You Rang M'Lord?

Sundays?

7.15pm ish

1990's

doesn't ring a bell ;)

anyhoo do you guys already know the consolidated figure for CTM?
    That's the one! :D Did like the Bob Monkhouse theme though. Yes we know CTM but do you have any others and what is top show for the week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Have we had the final BARB Top 50 for 2012 yet ?

They've done a top 10.

http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/tv-facts/since-1981/2012/top10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the one! :D Did like the Bob Monkhouse theme though. Yes we know CTM but do you have any others and what is top show for the week?

yes I do have others, but you'll have to wait :p

as for your other question, why was I asking about CTM ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes I do have others, but you'll have to wait :p

as for your other question, why was I asking about CTM ;)

You tease and you tantalise with your ratings Teevee! :p Does your question mean Call The Midwife was top for the week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You tease and you tantalise with your ratings Teevee! :p Does your question mean Call The Midwife was top for the week?

a standard response to questions on internet

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    It's a good 1-1.5m ahead of The Paradise despite much tougher competition. I don't think anyone realistically expected another Downton.
    They may not have expected Downton figures but i'm sure they would have expected better than what they are getting. Selfridge is getting very similar numbers to what Wild At Heart was getting and given the massive build-up Selfridge had, I can't help but think it's under performing.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,314
    Forum Member
    What were the ratings for the tennis?

And that's superb for Top Gear, which should timeshift by at least a million.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I deleted my TG recording this morning, so I cannot verify its runtime, but maybe you should invest in a recording contraption and record one or t'other!

For to suggest editing TG is heresy. And starting it a couple of mins before its scheduled start time would of course give rise to a number of people complaining that it started a couple of mins early.

Of course I could record. But you kind of expect to be able to watch two consecutive shows live, and many people will have been annoyed that they missed the opening moments of their planned 9 I clock viewing.
    No definitely You Rang M'Lord, it wasn't a big hit.

On David Croft's This Is Your Life edition, they spent a lot of time on his hits and just said one line on M'Lord and showed the cast sitting on the back row. To be fair they barely mentioned Come Back Mrs Noah, that Croft wrote with Jeremy Lloyd, either. Croft said that scheduling it against The Kenny Everett Video Show in 1978 was what killed Mrs Noah. I think being crap killed Mrs Noah!

Oh Doctor Beeching was far worse though that was written by Richard Spendlove and David Croft. Awful!

M'Lord got around 11m at the start, settled about 9m, then got axed when it dropped to around 6.5. (Unless Steve W tells me otherwise!)

Shame. Brilliant start though, but I guess last Monday's Corrie will better that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mike is not stringing us along!

:cool:My ;)reply! :D

oh yeah? :p
    ----
    you can all check for yourselves, as the data for week ending 20th January 2013 is now live

enjoy!

31hours and 15 minutes of tv watched by the all individuals, up by over an hour on last year

I find that interesting, but then again I do watch a lot of tv :D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selfridge is certainly underperforming expectations, at least on overnights. It's no Downton!

It's just ITV's version of The Paradise.

Yes, the BBC getting Paradise on first has impacted Selfridge imo. If the thread is anything to go by comparisons are being made all the time and there is always the chance they wont be favourable. The shows are similar and have apparently some mirrored storylines, plus the lead in Selfridge isnt seemingly causing the female population to have palpitations which maybe is part of the recipe for a show like this.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »

Televisions Greatest Hits only has one entry for YRML which has 12.3 million in Feb 1990 at Sunday 7.15, but only two weeks in the top twenty-iirc it hovered around 10 million for most of its life getting just enough presumably for it to carry on.
    Are You Being Served may have lost something by 1985 but was pulling 14 million audiences right up to the last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah? :p
    ----
    you can all check for yourselves, as the data for week ending 20th January 2013 is now live

enjoy!

31hours and 15 minutes of tv watched by the all individuals, up by over an hour on last year

I find that interesting, but then again I do watch a lot of tv :D
    Thanks Mike.

TV viewing being up is interesting. More choice this year perhaps?
This discussion has been closed.