Options

WHY arent Channel 4 listening? RE Hollyoaks

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Bryan Birkwood seemed to insinuate it was just people on digitalspy who were fed up with Hollyoaks and the path it has taken.

but i have just been on facebook and the page is awash with negative comments at how ludicrous the characters and storylines are, and how several have stopped watching, with these comments getting hundreds of likes!

Surely the ratings being stagnent is irrelevant as they have to look to the future and this show is about to crash and burn.

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    People need to respond via their remote controls. If they stop watching then channel 4 will have to take action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    People need to respond via their remote controls. If they stop watching then channel 4 will have to take action.

Yes thats what happened with Brookside, the only action channel 4 took was to keep making it worse and eventually axed it
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Its a ratings game. As long as it pulls in a decent 16-34 audience for advertising they wont give a shit what sort of storys it produces.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DON'T AXE HO!! :(:(
    Sure it's gone off course a lot ... They just need another good big story line, like the silas one which hands down I think saved HO at the time.
    It's a shame they fluffed with the sienna/Will/Patrick thing . Less kidnapping more steady build to the loonies taking over . I love the darker side and plot hole or not, the brother sister psyco pair works for me.
    They just need a new writer
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has BK actually said that about DS members?
  • Options
    sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Its a ratings game. As long as it pulls in a decent 16-34 audience for advertising they wont give a shit what sort of storys it produces.

Which is true for all television, people act like this is a conspiracy from Kirkwood. I think they are pulling in decent ratings and landed a major sponsor. There is no reason to suspect that they are going to make any drastic changes or axe the program.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Even though many, including myself, think it's gone way over the top, it keeps people interested and seems to actually have found a core fan base.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »

Yep. But I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    I am actually looking forward to this years HOs, there are still characters I don't like, but most I do and the hospital killer sound great.

I am hoping Freddie goes this year, maybe along with Lynsey.

But I also think that Sienna and Patrick might leave this year, which would be a shame as they are both great actors and characters if they stopped them going around in circles and took them in a different direction.

I think HOs has been a lot worse in the past and I doubt they will make any extreme changes this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    I am actually looking forward to this years HOs, there are still characters I don't like, but most I do and the hospital killer sound great.

I am hoping Freddie goes this year, maybe along with Lynsey.

But I also think that Sienna and Patrick might leave this year, which would be a shame as they are both great actors and characters if they stopped them going around in circles and took them in a different direction.

I think HOs has been a lot worse in the past and I doubt they will make any extreme changes this year.
    I'm curious on your thoughts on Will coming back? It's clearly only for a few eps but I was surprised how good he was with sienna. Really gutted that was only a short stint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    I'm curious on your thoughts on Will coming back? It's clearly only for a few eps but I was surprised how good he was with sienna. Really gutted that was only a short stint.

I can't stand the guy! But I do love the Blakes and drama, so I am enjoying this. This is a lot of action in a short amount of time that will likely lead to both Will and Dodger dying, which should affect the Blakes and Dirk for a long time (but this is a soap, 'a long time' doesn't exist in soaps).

If Sienna stays and I hope she does, with Dodger gone this will force a change in her and the direction in which she will go as the focus of her attention has gone. But they also have to deal with Sienna locking Dodger up (they can probably allow her to get away with helping Will because she changed her mind and tried to help Theresa).

The excuses used for both Sienna and Patrick to get away with things are not realistic (Tom being accused of locking Sienna up at the school which was never mentioned again, not even by the Osbornes and Maxine would never have believed she would lose custody of Minnie just because she took her away for a few weeks, even if Patrick does think he has a more stable life, which he doesn't), so it will be interesting to see what they will do with Sienna and I hope they have her finally get sectioned to receive help for her mental illness and stop using it as a excuse for Sienna to cause chaos.

Then they can focus on Sienna's recovery with scenes with her, Nico, Patrick and a therapist. As Sienna doesn't have friends, having her in hospital for a few months with only scenes with her family wont be a loss as they are the only people she interacts with anyway.

The plot hole with Will telling Dodger the location of both Maxine and Theresa and then telling him to pick one when Dodger could then have just knocked out Will and saved them both was ridiculous and the writers could and should have done that scene another way.

I agree, Will was quite good with Sienna and (the plot hole aside) I did like the scene with Dodger and Will.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    As many have said they won't listen because the ratings are fine, the sponsors are still coming in and so are the awards.

Personally i've given up on it improving. I watch out of habit but I don't enjoy it at all anymore. There are very few scenes I find interesting, and even less characters I like.

I used to come on here every night to post on the daily threads, i've only recently realised I stopped doing that around last summer. Its gotten that its not even worth talking about anymore. I used to be excited about it and now I dread most storylines and characters appearing.

For me the only good thing they've done in the last year is introduce Portia and the Campbell brothers, and make Grace and Trevor likeable. The rest has been utter crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I agree though I'm sad he's going, it was a flash of brilliance in my opinion when he met sienna . I do think your right about her getting locked up but didn't her and Leelah become friends for a while? Before the sudden best friends for life with Nancy? I wonder if Theresa "new found love for being kind" McQueen will forgive Sienna and befriend her. After all, she and her sisters have done some pretty messed up stuff.
  • Options
    llgxllgx Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started watching HO this past year after it started winning awards and being noticed more, I figured it must be good but how wrong was I. :p
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It's so repetitive! All the kidnapping is way overboard. Hopefully Patrick will one day soon be prosecuted and locked up for something and Sienna will be locked in a mental health hospital ward. I've had enough of Patrick snatching Maxine. Now Will's doing the same thing. It's just so OTT. Anna Passy and Jeremy Sheffield are good actors though, it has to be said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha I agree though I'm sad he's going, it was a flash of brilliance in my opinion when he met sienna . I do think your right about her getting locked up but didn't her and Leelah become friends for a while? Before the sudden best friends for life with Nancy? I wonder if Theresa "new found love for being kind" McQueen will forgive Sienna and befriend her. After all, she and her sisters have done some pretty messed up stuff.

Sienna and Leela's friendship was very short, but it was good to see Sienna having a normal friendship, shame they just cut it, odd considering that their daughters are best friends so they would have seen each other a lot.

You could be right about Theresa, especially with the way they are trying to make Theresa seem likeable. But the McQueens never like to forgive someone else for their crime while expecting to be forgiven for theirs.
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    It's so repetitive! All the kidnapping is way overboard. Hopefully Patrick will one day soon be prosecuted and locked up for something and Sienna will be locked in a mental health hospital ward. I've had enough of Patrick snatching Maxine. Now Will's doing the same thing. It's just so OTT. Anna Passy and Jeremy Sheffield are good actors though, it has to be said.

That's exactly why they should hang on to Patrick and Sienna, they are played by great actors and when the storylines weren't repeating they were brilliant, they need to try and save the characters by trying to redeem them (even if in the end Patrick gets his comeuppance) and put them in new storylines. They have to hang on to the great actors and characters for as long as they can, it's the repeating of storylines that is bringing them down, but that can be changed.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As many have said they won't listen because the ratings are fine, the sponsors are still coming in and so are the awards.

Personally i've given up on it improving. I watch out of habit but I don't enjoy it at all anymore. There are very few scenes I find interesting, and even less characters I like.

I used to come on here every night to post on the daily threads, i've only recently realised I stopped doing that around last summer. Its gotten that its not even worth talking about anymore. I used to be excited about it and now I dread most storylines and characters appearing.

For me the only good thing they've done in the last year is introduce Portia and the Campbell brothers, and make Grace and Trevor likeable. The rest has been utter crap.

As someone not far off falling out the 16-34 demographic, I largely agree with what you are saying. My watching of Hollyoaks has become very intermittant, i didnt watch it all over the xmas period and only a few episodes since.

I thought I might be getting too old for it but I know older folk on here have posted saying they watch and enjoy. having watched since its inception Iam suprised how easily I am giving it up.

I cant see any changes though C4 are happy with the ratings being quite strong when they add the c4 and e4 first look together and so I dont see HO going anywhere
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domino's Pizza now sponsor it
    As Sienna doesn't have friends, having her in hospital for a few months with only scenes with her family wont be a loss as they are the only people she interacts with anyway.

She used to have a good friend who stuck by her even after she claimed that her daughter was hers. But Layla & Sienna's friendship only lasted a month
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member

Theresa and Sienna as friends could actually be brilliant in a culture clash type way. Well, if it were written properly. Which it wouldn't be. Also as someone noted a few weeks ago, if they actually bothered to write anything properly and have Patrick take an interest in his new granddaughter that could lead to hilarious scenes between him and Theresa.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    sderr123 wrote: »
    Which is true for all television, people act like this is a conspiracy from Kirkwood. I think they are pulling in decent ratings and landed a major sponsor. There is no reason to suspect that they are going to make any drastic changes or axe the program.

Whilst e4 ratings are not bad, Channel4 ratings are appalling considering Hollyoaks would get 2 million + in the winter at one time. Also the audience age has changed. Hollyoaks had a more niche audience of 16 to mid twenties - it was to that audience Nescafe & Wrigley's were sponsoring the Hollyoaks.

When Hollyoaks did appeal to that audience - more likely to use social media to tell friends about it, the ratings were much higher. That was to do more with Hollyoaks having strong characters in that age range.

Hollyoaks though has lost complete track in recent years, sticking two fingers up at the audience it was intended for. As a result, coupled with dire writing / characters / useless producers who haven't a clue, the target audience is now in the minority. More Over 35 and under 16s watch Hollyoaks than it's intended audience.

Really the person who has to go though is Jay Hunt at Channel4. She cannot even run a party in a brewery she is that bad, having dragged Channel4 down with her lack of ideas. She has the power to give Lime Pictures and Berkwood the kick up the backside needed to kick start Hollyoaks, but doesn't as she is incompetent - you just have to look what Channel4 has on offer programme wise to see how bad they are.

Even then it would take to much to turn Hollyoaks around to the vision Phil Redmond had when he created it. It's not just improving storylines, but wiping out the entire cast, starting from scratch which would take ages to do as you need to replace those cast members.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,269
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Yep. But I don't see that happening.

:confused: Even if it changes were happening we wouldn't be seeing them for months.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: Even if it changes were happening we wouldn't be seeing them for months.

What?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might make the show stronger if they stopped with the deaths
  • Options
    sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    Whilst e4 ratings are not bad, Channel4 ratings are appalling considering Hollyoaks would get 2 million + in the winter at one time. Also the audience age has changed. Hollyoaks had a more niche audience of 16 to mid twenties - it was to that audience Nescafe & Wrigley's were sponsoring the Hollyoaks.

When Hollyoaks did appeal to that audience - more likely to use social media to tell friends about it, the ratings were much higher. That was to do more with Hollyoaks having strong characters in that age range.

Hollyoaks though has lost complete track in recent years, sticking two fingers up at the audience it was intended for. As a result, coupled with dire writing / characters / useless producers who haven't a clue, the target audience is now in the minority. More Over 35 and under 16s watch Hollyoaks than it's intended audience.

I think there is a plan to broaden the audience demographics. I think that your assessment that Wrigley' and Nescafe are more relevant brands to the 16 to mid twenties audience than Vo5 or Dominoes is just wrong. Of course the audience is dropping for the Channel 4 program because it is a catch up or repeat broadcast and there are more media platforms to watch so the Channel 4 broadcast will suffer.