Benedict Cumberbatch what's the big deal??

P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
Forum Member
✭✭
What the hell is the big deal with this benedict cumberbatch, I am sick hearing his name at award ceremonies like hes entitled to every award and how sad when he never wins, I think hes is overrated and its boring now. He doesn't win for a reason.

Comments

• Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His mum is telefantasy royalty though!

(Wanda Ventham, for those of you who dont know!)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think BC is a very talented actor, but there's a fistful of other actors equally talented. What he has got in his favour, however, is a very distinctive look so he tends to get remembered, whereas many other actors can so easily blend into the background, and even if people remember they've seen them, they don't always remember their names!

As for reward ceremonies, he can't be blamed if he keeps getting mentioned and put forward by other people!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Have just googled her and still none the wiser!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is remarkably handsome:p:p:p
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    He is remarkably handsome:p:p:p

I don't get this. I think he has a really weird face.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's remarkably ugly !! Totally overrated indeed.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Is there any point to this thread at all?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a bit over rated for Sherlock to be honest. It's a great series, but does the character greatly stretch an actor ? I suppose he has created his own interpretation of the character, but one award for that should be enough.
    But he is a very fine actor, brilliant in The Imitation Game playing a character that was difficult to capture.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always felt that he's proof that you don't have to be good looking to succeed in TV>
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first time I really noticed him was when I was bowled over by the first episode of Sherlock, thought he was a very quirky looking chap, with a quirky voice, quirky everything really... But in a very good way.

Definitely being a bit over exposed the last few years, but he is a very interesting actor
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good actor, but I agree that the way that the media go on about him you'd think he was the second coming of Christ.
    So yes, I think he's very overrated indeed. And I don't mean this in any way to discredit him as a person. It's just the media banging on about him all the time when there are equally good actors around who are probably underrated.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor - loved his performance in The Immitation Game - but because he's got an interesting face, I think other good actors tend to be overlooked.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »

Well, I didn't know that. My mum used to love Wanda. She was a good actress.

I must Wiki her now to see if she's still alive.

Edit: Just looked her up on Wikipedia and she's still going at 79. Interestingly, it states that she and her husband (Benedict's dad) played his parents in an episode of Sherlock. I don't watch it so can't comment.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be amazed if he didn't have scales somewhere on his body.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think like a lot in life once someone gets recognised for something, whether in showbiz or regular life, it becomes almost fashionable to reward them continuesly. This is not to denigrate genuine appraisal just an observation.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a very good actor.

That said the hype surrounding him perplexes me somewhat. I think people are hoping he's the successor to Gielgud's and Olivier's crown. His being posh helps, people are always a bit more in awe of The Posh both in the UK and USA. And also film people are lazy, they want a fail-safe name. Hence why Keira Knightley seems to be most casting director's go to girl for nearly every film set pre 1960.

And as for all the Sherlock hysteria. Meh. Averagely entertaining show with fans who are above average in the hysteria stakes.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    Have just googled her and still none the wiser!

The only thing I've seen her in is Only Fools & Horses as Cassandra's mum. I know she's been in a lot more than that though.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a good actor, but that's it. He's just a good actor. He doesn't have a lot of range and will likely be playing posh characters for the rest of his life.

He's no Daniel Day lewis but the way his fans and the media talk about him, you would think he is.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been a fan, mind you I've never seen Sherlock! Can't quite understand the hysteria over him. He was on Graham Norton a while back and came over as very pleasant, good to his fans....
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's remarkably ugly !! Totally overrated indeed.

I agree, I just don't get what all the fuss is about him!...... he is so weird looking that it puts me off watching anything that he is in!.......:confused:
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's nothing special to look at.

As an offside, he married Judge Rinder and his partner. Quite how this was possible I don't know, is he a lay preacher or something similar :confused:
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is very good. I thought he was good in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and I think he is quite amusing in interviews that I have seen him in.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I've seen her in is Only Fools & Horses as Cassandra's mum. I know she's been in a lot more than that though.

At least 3 separate Who appearances in the classic era, numerous dramas/comedies.

Probably did the odd Hammer too.

Most famous as Colonel Virginia Lake in the Pinewood shot episodes of UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMFYzrH5FE

Plus a few more links :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqS_PB9ls_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URlm4ZjeaGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGi4HOkon5M
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is vocally spectacular! That's why there was no-one better suited for playing Smaug. Sherlock is definitely his master role though, particularly in the first two series'. Whether his schtick as the character is now a little stale I'm not sure...
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I couldn't care less what he looks like. I also used to wonder what all the fuss was about, then watched him act the part of Professor Hawking in a BBC production, and understood.