Options

Will the United Kingdom ever win the Eurovision Song Contest again?

AllADreamAllADream Posts: 38
Forum Member
I've completely lost hope..

Comments

• Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    It's possible. Many countries go years more than we have without a win. Austria triumphed last year for the first time in
    48 years!

We just need to send an incredible song. Easier said than done, especially with the general attitude towards Eurovision in the UK and the BBC's treatment of it, but certainly not impossible.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    On average unless you are Sweden the odds are you win once in 40 years. If we haven't won by 2037 we have a right to feel hard done by.

We will win again - although some of us may never live to see it.

Look at Austria - last year they won this year they were last. It's all about the song and performance.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say not for a long time. It is political mostly. It's annoying because we are very good musically and always have been. Think of all the decent bands we have produced!. If we made an extra effort next year we could do better.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so unless you have a very PR friendly entry. The whole contest is decided pre-show nowadays particularly as we head back to Scandinavia, must say Austria were quite unbiased unlike Sweden and Denmark in the past 2 years.

Next year Norway or Denmark will be actively pushed by STV and could likely win.
  • Options
    Jorf68Jorf68 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Get a composer on board liike David Armold and get him to write a contempary ballad sung by an experienced performer ie Leona Lewis and use some clever staging ..simple
  • Options
    GizehGizeh Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say not for a long time. It is political mostly. It's annoying because we are very good musically and always have been. Think of all the decent bands we have produced!. If we made an extra effort next year we could do better.

You're right. Who can forget such classics as Daz Sampson, Jemini, josh, Andy Abraham, Molly and Scootch?

Damn politics!
  • Options
    Joelious_OsmanJoelious_Osman Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Send acts out of the Norm and we may stand a chance.

Look at Lordi.
    Acts in the UK just don't take Eurovision seriously and are told or believe it would damage there career.

If the next Ed Sheeran or Royal Blood or Adele entered with the right song.
    If the right rock band or Signer songwriter enters.

If you look how many music acts we have that are massive across Europe.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Use a professional established band or act.
    They should be fun, uptempo and a bit cheesy rather than earnest balladeers or C grade Robbie or Olly Murs cast-offs.

They'd have a better chance then. Personally I couldn't care less about winning. It's just a bit of fluff telly that I watch (very occasionally) for the spectacle, eccentricity and chance to guess how the voting goes. It's the fact it's over the top and all a bit naff that makes it halfway watchable.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we will only win if we declare war on the USA.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course we can, if we send a good entry and everything falls into place.
  • Options
    rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe try not to send shit like this year and you might win again lol
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so unless you have a very PR friendly entry. The whole contest is decided pre-show nowadays particularly as we head back to Scandinavia, must say Austria were quite unbiased unlike Sweden and Denmark in the past 2 years.

Next year Norway or Denmark will be actively pushed by STV and could likely win.

Not sure you could call Austria unbiased by putting Russia and Italy in pimp slots and pushing Sweden into an unfavourable 10th. They probably would have put Sweden on 2nd if they weren't concerned of the wrath of Christer Björkman. They did what they could to prevent Sweden from being a runaway winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't for a minute buy that Austria were actively working against Sweden in favour of Russia of all countries, maybe Italy but I can't see why they'd want a Russia win. Going last isn't that advantageous, last winner going last was Yugoslavia in 89.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Austria were very unbiased IMO, as much as they could be with the manipulation available to them. The blatant pushing of the very average Only Teardrops in 2013 was disgusting to see.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gizeh wrote: »
    You're right. Who can forget such classics as Daz Sampson, Jemini, josh, Andy Abraham, Molly and Scootch?

Damn politics!

Silly Billy I am talking about real music not Eurovision. Have I entered the Twilight zone?.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would help if we could send singers who can actually sing well on the night! I thought our duo were pretty off-key in parts and lacklustre. The song was pretty catchy (I liked the Charleston sound), compared to the usual tripe we enter year after year, but compared to the much higher standard of songs from most countries this year we came about as far as we deserved to, imo. I thought the UK act was just a bit too karaoke really. I think Austria's song was ten times better than ours and they ended up will nil points, poor Austria! Same with Germany too, a better song than ours, imo.

Most countries will only ever win once in a blue moon. When there's so many countries competing every year and only one can win, it's normal. Is it Malta who has NEVER ever won? We won about 5 times. That's more than most countries have ever won it. I think France won about 5 times too (correst me if I'm wrong) but, like us not for a long time. It's just the way it goes. It's all about entering the right song at the right time (re what's in fashion, not sending something that's already dated) and, as I said, making sure we have decent singers who can actually perform well on the night! Also, many countries send some of their top stars who are big names, not only in their own country but in their neighbouring countries too. That's why certain regions vote for each other, I think. It's not just politics, like some people bang on about. It's about musical culture of certain regions all having and liking a similar style of music and a familiarity with their big name artists who are well known in all those countries. Yet even with all the ex-Yugoslav countries voting for each other and the ex-Soviet countries voting for each other a country like Sweden (and Austria last year) still ends up winning because they just seem to have a sound a style that appeals right across the continent or a song that everyone just connects to. Plus, I go back to it again - damn good singing! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it was dreadful how Denmark was "crowned" the winner by Sweden. I also felt Conchita was pushed by the Danes too although it bothered me less. Austria didn't push anyone in this manner which I appreciated.

Can you imagine if Azerbaijan had tried to push a Turkish win in 2012? There'd have been uproar.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in a way it has won.. it's a hit song
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    It would help if we could send singers who can actually sing well on the night! I thought our duo were pretty off-key in parts and lacklustre. The song was pretty catchy (I liked the Charleston sound), compared to the usual tripe we enter year after year, but compared to the much higher standard of songs from most countries this year we came about as far as we deserved to, imo. I thought the UK act was just a bit too karaoke really. I think Austria's song was ten times better than ours and they ended up will nil points, poor Austria! Same with Germany too, a better song than ours, imo.

Most countries will only ever win once in a blue moon. When there's so many countries competiting every year and only one can win, it's normal. Is it Malta who has NEVER ever won? We won about 5 times. That's more than most countries have ever won it. I think France won about 5 times too (correst me if I'm wrong) but, like us not for a long time. It's just the way it goes. It's all about entering the right song at the right time (re what's in fashion, not sending something that's already dated) and, as I said, making sure we have decent singers who can actually perform well on the night! Also, many countries send some of their stop stars who are big names, not only in their own country but in their neighbouring countries too. That's why certain regions vote for each other, I think. It's not just politics, like some people bang on about. It's about musical culture of certain regions all having and liking a similar style of music and a familiarity with their big name artists who are well known in all those countries. Yet even with all the ex-Yugoslav countries voting for each other and the ex-Soviet countries voting for each other a country like Sweden (and Austria last year) still ends up winning because they just seem to have a sound a style that appeals right across the continent or a song that everyone just connects to. Plus, I go back to it again - damn good singing! :D
    A very intelligent post. I completely agree! :)
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't for a minute buy that Austria were actively working against Sweden in favour of Russia of all countries, maybe Italy but I can't see why they'd want a Russia win. Going last isn't that advantageous, last winner going last was Yugoslavia in 89.

Looking back, performing last seems to go one of two ways. Either the song does well or ends up towards the bottom of the pile. It all depends what you put there really. Putting Italy on last was a good move because it's a big climactic song just before voting.

I doubt ORF are completely unaware of the favourites. Prior to putting together the running order, Sweden and Russia were clear favourites with Sweden being favourites to win from the start. The creative producer cheekily tweeted that they might consider trying to break the curse of the 2nd position. I have no doubt that they expected Sweden to win and tried to give other favourites the chance to contend. Boring voting is the last thing they want.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only a clairvoyant could answer
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »

Most countries will only ever win once in a blue moon. When there's so many countries competing every year and only one can win, it's normal. Is it Malta who has NEVER ever won? We won about 5 times. That's more than most countries have ever won it. I think France won about 5 times too (correst me if I'm wrong) but, like us not for a long time. It's just the way it goes. It's all about entering the right song at the right time (re what's in fashion, not sending something that's already dated) and, as I said, making sure we have decent singers who can actually perform well on the night! Also, many countries send some of their top stars who are big names, not only in their own country but in their neighbouring countries too. That's why certain regions vote for each other, I think. It's not just politics, like some people bang on about. It's about musical culture of certain regions all having and liking a similar style of music and a familiarity with their big name artists who are well known in all those countries. Yet even with all the ex-Yugoslav countries voting for each other and the ex-Soviet countries voting for each other a country like Sweden (and Austria last year) still ends up winning because they just seem to have a sound a style that appeals right across the continent or a song that everyone just connects to. Plus, I go back to it again - damn good singing! :D

To cut a long story short, we just have to give a crap.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    No.

We could send the modern day equivalent of The Beatles when they ruled the world, and we'd still not win.

And I get the feeling that whoever IS the modern day Beatles in that position, wouldn't want to see if that's true or not and risk being embarrassed by losing to some pub singer from some country that every country around them votes for!
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Germany can win so can we.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    By the way, who is it who actually chooses the UK song these days? I only take an interest on the actual day of the 'Grand Final' so I thought they had a UK song contest to pick the song, but then it started just being announced on Radio 2 (where I'd hear it anyway!) what the song and singer was going to be.

So who picks it?