• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »
    Happy Valley
    Line of Duty

I disagree....

...they lost 100% of their audience in 2015.

;-)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not DW related, but there has been a lot of discussion about the viewership of cake baking in this thread - so some rather incredible news on that front. The BBC can have the nation's most watched show and still bloody lose it thanks to corporate greed.
  • Options
    StrangeStrange Posts: 14,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.68m for Christmas special
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Very much in line with the rest of the Christmas Day ratings.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Fairly remarkable for a 12th in a row Christmas special too!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairly remarkable for a 12th in a row Christmas special too!

Indeed. If you'd told me in the early noughties that Who would not only return but carry on this long *and*, oh, yeah, it'll have a dozen Christmas Day specials, I'd be backing away slowly with a fixed grin and 'darting Hartnell eyes' looking for the nearest exit! :D

That's a decent rating in the context of the day and it could go up a few places in the Top 10 with the consolidated figures; think it'll go above Corrie anyway.

And if you'd told me *that* in the early noughties....etc

Off for a rewatch now!
  • Options
    david_Robinsondavid_Robinson Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Doctor who was the 8th most viewed show of the day in fact
    http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequeen/the-queen-once-again-tops-christmas-tv-ratings-73540
    Top 10 in full
    The Queen’s Speech (BBC & ITV) 7.7m
    Strictly Come Dancing (BBC) 7.3m
    Great British Bake Off (BBC) 6.3m
    Mrs Brown’s Boys (BBC) 6.1m
    Coronation Street (ITV) 6.1m
    Call the Midwife (BBC) 6.1m
    EastEnders (BBC) 5.9m
    Doctor Who (BBC) 5.7m
    Emmerdale (ITV) 4.7m
    Frozen (BBC) 4.7m
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its good to see DW did well for itself.

But on another note, wow are viewing figures down these days, 7.7million is the highest for the day, and then most of the top ten are six fives and fours!.... what are people doing on Christmas day... what's taking peoples attention away, have games become more popular to do on Xmas, all the family playing, having goes ... Or have people suddenly become more social and are sitting around talking to each other directly rather than being around the TV, what are they talking about, Trump.... are families going for long walks.... braiding each others hair... reading books.... or are they just to busy taking selfies with each other to turn the TV on... What's going on Haha.

Saying that I'm one of the people who didn't bother with TV on the day, I only watched DW and that's it... and that was a delayed watch using the iplayer.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The decline of broadcast TV has left the UK with no replacement.

Music Hall>>Radio>>TV>>???

There's nothing really that worked the way TV worked.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Day ratings are low but we've seen some huge ratings this year with Bale Off, Strictly, I'm A Celebrity and Frozen Planet among others. Christmas seems to be a problem.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The decline of broadcast TV has left the UK with no replacement.

Music Hall>>Radio>>TV>>???

There's nothing really that worked the way TV worked.

As much as the likes of Netflix and Amazon would like us to think otherwise the vast and overwhelming majority of the population still watch TV the normal way
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AI of 82. Same as last year (and the year before) and in line with Series 9 as a whole.
  • Options
    M_JM_J Posts: 3,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Christmas Day ratings are low but we've seen some huge ratings this year with Bale Off, Strictly, I'm A Celebrity and Frozen Planet among others. Christmas seems to be a problem.

It's because the tv companies churn out the same stuff every year, and people are bored of it. Christmas telly needs reinvigorating with some bold, fresh ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A shame yog doesn't post the daily timeshift ratings anymore, how come that stopped?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Slightly down on last year's BBC America rating but still respectable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final figure of 7.83m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up on last years 7.69m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor who was the 8th most viewed show of the day in fact
    http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequeen/the-queen-once-again-tops-christmas-tv-ratings-73540
    Top 10 in full
    The Queen’s Speech (BBC & ITV) 7.7m
    Strictly Come Dancing (BBC) 7.3m
    Great British Bake Off (BBC) 6.3m
    Mrs Brown’s Boys (BBC) 6.1m
    Coronation Street (ITV) 6.1m
    Call the Midwife (BBC) 6.1m
    EastEnders (BBC) 5.9m
    Doctor Who (BBC) 5.7m
    Emmerdale (ITV) 4.7m
    Frozen (BBC) 4.7m

Courtesy of the splendid Roscoe Barnes on the UK TV Ratings Thread;

Doctor Who +7 Consolidated: 7.83m (31.2%)

Eastenders got exactly the same, but a slightly lower share. CS got 8.1m. So Who is 6th for the day, I'd say. (Sorry, don't add the ITV add BBC Queen figures together. Off to the tower with me!)

eta Oliver in before me!

That's good stuff, I think. 7th for w/e 25th December, as the Monday episode of Corrie got 8.2m

edited again as the Sunday CS wasn't on the main list and I got confused!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I think it's 8th for the week. CD93 was much better at this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The drop in Christmas viewing figures (across the board) started with Christmas 2014 - there's a whole load of articles about it. The overnights just collapsed, but the finals were all OK.

It seems that for the past few years, families have stopped watching so much TV on Christmas Day and are recording their shows and watching them later in the week.

Maybe there have been more family games for families to play at Christmas - we had that one this year where you put the plastic thing in your mouth.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Actually I think it's 8th for the week.

9th. Remember the good-old-days™ when Doctor Who was the number one show on Christmas day, if you combined the figures from BBC HD, and topped the iPlayer for the month? Or was at least the second biggest Christmas Day show, which ever way you looked at it.

Looking at this bar chart, it appears Christmas specials have been in decline since Moffat took over, with a spike to see Capaldi's arrival, the return of Gallifrey (off the back of End of Time) and possibly curiosity over the regeneration limit. And the general hype surrounding the 50th anniversary episode.

Then people got to see Capaldi in action in series 8 and...

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/01/the-return-of-doctor-mysterio-official.html
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    9th. Remember the good-old-days™ when Doctor Who was the number one show on Christmas day, if you combined the figures from BBC HD, and topped the iPlayer for the month? Or was at least the second biggest Christmas Day show, which ever way you looked at it.

Looking at this bar chart, it appears Christmas specials have been in decline since Moffat took over, with a spike to see Capaldi's arrival, the return of Gallifrey (off the back of End of Time) and possibly curiosity over the regeneration limit. And the general hype surrounding the 50th anniversary episode.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/01/the-return-of-doctor-mysterio-official.html

Yes, there's a decline. But it's reflected in the general trend of a decline in TV viewing:

Quote from This item.

"Christmas Day TV audiences have been in steady decline over the past few decades. No programme has won more than 20 million viewers since 2001, and 15 million has not been reached since 2008."
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Yes, there's a decline. But it's reflected in the general trend of a decline in TV viewing

None of which is relevant to my first paragraph. Doctor Who used to have a higher audience share and was top of the iPlayer for the months it was on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Its worth mentioning that the viewing figures for Matt Smith's finale (Christmas Day 2013) might be slightly distorted, as an additional 2m viewers tuned in only for the final five minutes, to see the regeneration - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25518352