Burlesque; art or stripping?

parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read this article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1340939/Burlesque-Penny-Wark-visits-artistic-clubs-sleaze-tease.html about burlesque dancing. I think the article's author went into those clubs hoping to be angered by something, as is often the case with Daily Mail journalists it appears.

What's your opinion on burlesque? Is it an art form or another name for stripping? Personally, I've never seen burlesque but from what I've heard of it, it's more than stripping - you have to be able to perform and dance, not just take your clothes off. From what people have said, it sounds more cheeky than sleazy. I'd definitely consider burlesque dancing - perhaps not as a career, but if I decide to go to do acting at University, I wouldn't say no to burlesque dancing on the side to earn money.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit of both and as long as the ladies are happy doing it I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very kind of the Daily Mail to illustrate their disgust with some appropriate pictures.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stripping cannot ever be considered art..?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Both, or whatever you want it to be. Anything can be art. Even regular non 50's retro stripping. It bothers me that people who think burlesque is awesome have a problem with stripping. Seems a bit wierd.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »

What about the dance of the 7 veils in the opera "Salome?" Or is that art because it is middle class?
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    WokStation wrote: »

If a messy bed can be considered 'art' then I don't see why pouring champagne over your norks whilst writing around in a big glass can't be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Always thought that burlesque was the art of stripping.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh_rebus wrote: »
    Always thought that burlesque was the art of stripping.

There's a bit more to a burlesque performance. Not that stripping can't be an art form in itself.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Performance art is still art.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend took me to a burlesque show a month or so ago and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Wasn't just ladies ripping their clothes off like I expected and some of the performances were great. So I'd go with art.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Seen a few burlesque shows and to me it is the art of stripping.
    A blend of grace, style, titillation and seduction.

Stripping is more or less just getting ya kit off, nothing special just a form of burlesque without grace or style.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    Very kind of the Daily Mail to illustrate their disgust with some appropriate pictures.

Can't say I noticed any disgust other than the completely misleading headline. The contents of the article does not reflect a situation whereby the author has been appalled at so much sleaze. More of a neutral article with a slight amount of negativity regarding fat middle aged men. It is a bandwagon piece as there are two burlesque films on general release at the moment.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not having been to watch either i'm not sure but don't burlesque dancers keep their limited kit on and just wobble suggestively about whereas strippers get virtually all of it off?
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do burlesque long before it became so popular as it is now. Many clubs or venues advertise it as been burlesque when it is actually stripping but I suspect it gets around licences etc. I would never say it was stripping - I think if you look on You Tube you'd get a good idea of the vast difference between the two. It's very hard to be a good burlesque artist and remove bits of clothing in a coy, titilating manner. Definately art.... which was the excuse I gave to my parents when they found out :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Posh lap dancing maybe?
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends who and what you watch. Much the same as "is singing an art or an annoyance?"

The original Burlesque was mostly parody of literature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds rather like the 'is darts a sport or a game' argument?

It's both. Bloody semantics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    My wife & I are both Burlesque performers.

Really - it's not stripping. If you want to see a stripper, then watching either of us will probably dissapoint.

Burlesque in it's original form is closer to the Victorian Music Hall. It's supposed to be cheeky & a bit naughty - nothing more. The 'striptease' that everyone associates with it was something added on by the Americans in the 1930's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I used to do burlesque long before it became so popular as it is now. Many clubs or venues advertise it as been burlesque when it is actually stripping but I suspect it gets around licences etc. I would never say it was stripping - I think if you look on You Tube you'd get a good idea of the vast difference between the two. It's very hard to be a good burlesque artist and remove bits of clothing in a coy, titilating manner. Definately art.... which was the excuse I gave to my parents when they found out :D
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    My wife & I are both Burlesque performers.

Really - it's not stripping. If you want to see a stripper, then watching either of us will probably dissapoint.

Burlesque in it's original form is closer to the Victorian Music Hall. It's supposed to be cheeky & a bit naughty - nothing more. The 'striptease' that everyone associates with it was something added on by the Americans in the 1930's.

wow!

for real?
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say no to burlesque dancing on the side to earn money.

Hahahahaha...

Out of all the active Burlesque dancers, I'd guess less than one in 10 are actually making money out of it.

Once we have paid for props, costumes & babysitters, most of us are lucky to cover our travelling expenses & drinks.

Really - we're not in it for the money :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Both. Does it have to be either/or?

Nothing wrong with it either.
    Forum Member
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    wow!

for real?

Yes, for real :) I started it because I had huge problems with accepting my body after anorexia and then a relationship with an abusive man that left me with a whole heap of self esteem issues. A friend of mine did it and I went to see her after she kept nagging me saying I had the perfect figure - whatever that means?! Eventually I did and went on to do for a number of years. I don't now because a serious of miscarriages and ivf have given rise to a few ghosts but I might do it again one day. If you find a good place that really cares about the performance then it's a great confidence booster - it certainly worked for me. It's very liberating and gave me control after years of having none and taught me to look after myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »

so that's the male version of burlesque, are you a body builder as well then?

<stupid question wasn't it?>
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Yes, for real :) I started it because I had huge problems with accepting my body after anorexia and then a relationship with an abusive man that left me with a whole heap of self esteem issues. A friend of mine did it and I went to see her after she kept nagging me saying I had the perfect figure - whatever that means?! Eventually I did and went on to do for a number of years. I don't now because a serious of miscarriages and ivf have given rise to a few ghosts but I might do it again one day. If you find a good place that really cares about the performance then it's a great confidence booster - it certainly worked for me. It's very liberating and gave me control after years of having none and taught me to look after myself.

well you certainly sound very together after all you've been through! it wasn't demeaning in any way for you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had 'Secrets of the Boudoir Burlesque' performing in the intervals between bands at the last gig we went to, it brought a bit of nice variety to the entertainment :p I certainly wouldn't call them strippers; a lot of their routine was just suggestive and tongue-in-cheek and they looked like they were enjoying performing. The closest they came to nudity was removing their tops to reveal nipple tassles and jiggling them about :D