Options

Should ethnic minorities integrate more, and if so how?

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Many men are sexist, including many on here - but from what I have seen, sexist attitudes are more indemic in the cultures of many black races. Western societies are somewhat more enlightened.

On the surface it sounds like horrendous stereotyping of course, but many come from cultures where sexism and homophobia are quite strong.

That's not to say other people can't come from similar places and cultures, but it is a strong trend and well documented.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I always think when I read through threads like these that most people who enjoy a holiday or experience of another country do so because the people are friendly and welcoming, when you visit a country you dont expect to have to go and integrate with people and talk to people to be accepted, they integrate with you and talk to you and make you feel welcome. So why is it so different here?

I imagine the language barrier is a major factor. If you go on holiday to a country that does not speak your language, you don't expect them to have to learn yours. If you are reasonable, you learn at the very least enough phrases to get by.

If you go and live in a country however, the onus is on you to learn their language, in order to not only integrate, but function normally on even the most basic level with things like jobs, transport, health, schools etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Oh you're all so shocked by what Lucian has to say, patronise him a bit more why don't you.

The stuff he's saying is what we black and muslim people have to listen to day in day out from some of the members on this forum. Read anything exlordlucan or speaksoftly has ever written for an example. They speak volumes against muslims or 'foreign' people...in real life theres a word for people like that.

You may not like a few home truths being said - you want to try living this daily with the thinly veiled racism we have to endure.

Some may think Lucian is racist with some of the things he said, indeed I don't agree with everything, but you try living day in and day out with this racism - it seems like some of you object to what he's saying - now think what thats like for Muslims and black people who have suffered it for years - no wonder we get a chip on our shoulder.

Where was the last thread criticising white people? There's shit loads about Muslims!

That 90% of people think that the Fawlty Towers thing is ok is a real eye opener to me. I guarantee most of people who are ok with it are white.

We have to listen to why its ok to call someone the N word at 7.30pm because 'it's art' and 'you can't airbush history'! To think you are trying to tell us, the people who are affected by racism - not you - what is and what isn't racist when you clearly display that you don't have the slightest clue what racism is and in fact, of the people telling us that it is ok, half of them are racist or ignorant themselves.

I wont be dictated to by racists or white people on what I should find offensive when it comes to racism. Your opinion is worthless unless you've experienced it.

Now back to exlordlucan to give some midly amusing quote that has nothing of substance....

Your'e not allowed posts on DS about white people, it will be deleted and you'll be banned. My post about white crime rates in the UK was nearly deleted, until one of the Mods was either talked to or saw why it needed to be discussed, because their were so many threads on Black crime rates. Many on this forum feel very comfortable about the ills of ethnic minorities, but when we talk about white people and their ills, some white forum members are up in arms and don't want to hear the truth!