Mel Gibbsons ' Apocalypto '

juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
Forum Member
Caught the second half of this on the telly box the other night. One of those films that stays with you for days ( for me any way ) Now ordered on Amazon, under £3.00 a bargain.
Hard to watch at times due to the violence, but fascinating if a true representation of the culture.
Anybody catch it?

Comments

• sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its a great film, you could almost watch it without subtitles and it would still be as good. One of the most visceral exciting movies ever made
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of those films that I thought nothing of the first time I saw it but on a subsequent viewing I was totally riveted to the screen.

Great film.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    As always with Hollywood History lessons there were question marks over authenticity and such.

But, damnit, you have to admit Mad Mel certainly knows how to put a visceral, pedal-to-the-floor piece of cinema together.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    It's actually a bit of a modern classic from a hugely talented director.

I just wish he had the opportunity to make more films, but he struggles to get film studios to give him a chance these days. :(
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Very underrated film.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only a mad person could've directed Apocalypto. I do remember being captivated by it.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Mel's one of the most underrated directors of all time IMO. A great visual storyteller. Some of his projects may have flaws - historical inaccuracies and such but that guy knows how to tell a story and film action scenes.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    As always with Hollywood History lessons there were question marks over authenticity and such.

But, damnit, you have to admit Mad Mel certainly knows how to put a visceral, pedal-to-the-floor piece of cinema together.

Hehe Mad Mel, good moniker! noticed it was still on iplayer, I will give it a watch. He is a good director though credit due, Passion of the Christ is a splendidly crafted film to be fair although difficult subject for some of course!
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Apocalypto is brilliant.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen it, I think I'll give it a try. Gibson has the reputation of focusing on extended torture and violence, that has probably put me off seeing it before. I couldn't watch The Passion of the Christ ever again it was brutal.
    Forum Member
    There are some gory bits in the film, but it doesn't have the same kind of extended torturous gore that was in the Passion. There's the odd moment which makes you briefly wince, but I didn't feel it was too bad personally.

The storytelling is brilliant.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    It's actually a bit of a modern classic from a hugely talented director.

I just wish he had the opportunity to make more films, but he struggles to get film studios to give him a chance these days. :(

And rightly so. He's a violent thug who wishes the mother of his child to get raped by a pack of naggers. You can't have someone like that shoving his agendas into every movie he makes. Passion of Christ anyone?
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    And rightly so. He's a violent thug who wishes the mother of his child to get raped by a pack of naggers. You can't have someone like that shoving his agendas into every movie he makes. Passion of Christ anyone?

Couldn't give a damn about comments he made (yes, comments made when angry, not actual violence carried out). He has his issues and I hope he deals with them.

He's a great film-maker/actor and its a shame he's not on our screens much any more IMO
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »

True. But Woody Allen & Roman Polanski aren't exactly shining beacons of light morally either, yet they still get films made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Couldn't give a damn about comments he made (yes, comments made when angry, not actual violence carried out). He has his issues and I hope he deals with them. He's a great film-maker/actor and its a shame he's not on our screens much any more IMO

You need to revisit those tapes. He was violent to the mother. He hit her while she had their child in her hands and his response? "You deserved it!" He has shown no remorse for his comments on Jews and was even racist to a Jewish presenter when he probed him about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10HfOmJhnEA

His disgusting comments on black people, he won't even acknowledge. And I don't really accept the "he was angry!" excuse. Many people say things in anger but they don't turn into a racist, misogynistic creeper in the process. The thing is, his anger wasn't even directed towards black people; he said "pack of naggers" in passing, so casually, which means he has these ingrained beliefs about black men being animalistic.

It actually restores my faith in Hollywood that nobody wants to work with him. The music industry should learn a thing or two instead of letting that muppet Chris Brown run around doing what he wants.
    Forum Member
    Sorry to break this to you, but Hollywood is full to the brim of shady characters far more devious and dangerous than Mel Gibson. I think it's pretty naive to think otherwise.

Like others mentioned, Polanski raped a kid and has been fawned over ever since, receiving oscars and everything. Trying to even mention the concept of morality in the seedy, dark world of Hollywood is pretty futile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Sorry to break this to you, but Hollywood is full to the brim of shady characters far more devious and dangerous than Mel Gibson. I think it's pretty naive to think otherwise.

Oh, I'm aware that Hollywood is full of seedy and evil people but Gibson's "exile" is a glimmer of light amongst all the darkness.
    Like others mentioned, Polanski raped a kid and has been fawned over ever since, receiving oscars and everything. Trying to even mention the concept of morality in the seedy, dark world of Hollywood is pretty futile.

Whilst Polanki is disgusting and far worse, this thread isn't about Polanski and if it was I would be saying the same thing. This is a thread about people's desire to see Mel Gibson come back and I am simply saying that Mel is down in the gutter where he belongs.
    Forum Member
    And simply, I completely and utterly disagree.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Very underrated film.

It actually got pretty good reviews but given all the negative publicity around Gibson at the time and the fact it was in Mayan it was never going to do as well as the Passion of the Christ.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    It actually got pretty good reviews but given all the negative publicity around Gibson at the time and the fact it was in Mayan it was never going to do as well as the Passion of the Christ.

True. Gibson received a couple of awards for it and it was also praised among the Hollywood community. Robert Duvall said it was maybe the best movie he'd seen in 25 years, Quentin Tarantino said it was a masterpiece, one of the best of the year and by far the most artistic of the year, and Spike Lee placed it on his all-time essential movies.

Considering it was released after Gibson's troubles and many were slamming him, that says a lot about him as a film-maker.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

But The Passion Of The Christ was in Hebrew/Latin.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    But The Passion Of The Christ was in Hebrew/Latin.

It was about Jesus though so the Christian audience in the US were willing to put up with subtitles, most of them had no interest in seeing a Mayan warrior.

People forget even before the DUI incident TPOTC and its success did not endear him to many in Hollywood, although I personally thought the anti-semitic accusations unfair.