Options

Madonna - Rebel Heart

Comments

• Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd throw Erotica in there too. When ever I see fans talk about their fave Madonna album that's consistently mentioned.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd throw Erotica in there too. When ever I see fans talk about their fave Madonna album that's consistently mentioned.

It is, but as a whole if you include critics and discussion of the album as of today, it isn't regarded as a masterpiece. More of an underrated misunderstood album. For me, it is her masterpiece and likely is for many others, but as a whole, I have never heard it labelled as a masterpiece by the industry compared to Prayer and Light.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not clicking the link as I've read one too many attacks against Madonna lately and I just wonder who these people think they are when they act as though it's their god given right to be such disgusting sexists and ageists. It's sad these attitudes are not only so rife but actively encouraged.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't read without subscribing.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member

I've just read it, and it seems fair enough to me. It's the truth. :confused:

The last paragraph is a little iffy, but it's hardly the worst thing I've ever read about her.

"Even the Material Girl must eventually go the way of all earth. Far better singers have confronted the inevitability of being banished from playlists; she is not the first, and certainly won't be the last, to see her music fade slowly into the mists of time. That's truth or dare for you.

If her subjects are brave enough to tell Madonna the truth, they should inform her she is not a victim of ageism. She is a victim of life. Besides, true royalty never lets her subjects hear her whine."
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I've just read it, and it seems fair enough to me. It's the truth. :confused:

The last paragraph is a little iffy, but it's hardly the worst thing I've ever read about her.

"Even the Material Girl must eventually go the way of all earth. Far better singers have confronted the inevitability of being banished from playlists; she is not the first, and certainly won't be the last, to see her music fade slowly into the mists of time. That's truth or dare for you.

If her subjects are brave enough to tell Madonna the truth, they should inform her she is not a victim of ageism. She is a victim of life. Besides, true royalty never lets her subjects hear her whine."

Nah, the bit about her "brittle bones" is ageist crap and was so unnecessary. It's ageism and sexism masked as being a "hard-nosed realist", excusing the nastiness of people as just being "truthful". It's utter bollocks.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many posters have said that Madonna is lucky that she still sells records and sells them well too! I have been doing some nostalgia seeking and discovered that ageism is so strong in the UK, that one of Englands most succesful female artists, Kim Wilde, as she approached 50, was not able to secure a record deal in this country, instead having to record and distribute in Europe and Germany and her releases only being made via iTunes by popular demand - by her fans. That is really sad. Only young artists are pushed and promoted in this country. Take a listen to this song, Kim is 53 now, and still selling albums in Europe (albeit top twenty), and Madonna still gets global number 1's and top 2 hits. I think, when you put it in perspective, it isn't actually as bad as we think it is. Kim Wilde btw, is still touring and still has sell out gigs. Who would have known?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxeutfaIUI

Not a bad song is it?
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my standard media markt edition in today, so excited to finally have every song in HQ.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    So many posters have said that Madonna is lucky that she still sells records and sells them well too! I have been doing some nostalgia seeking and discovered that ageism is so strong in the UK,

I can list loads of acts in their 20's who have had no radio play or promotion in the UK.

And as for ageism and Madonna, what had Madge done for it? She drapes herself with young dancers, constantly tries to align herself with the flavour of the month young darling. Also Kim Wilde was never one of the most successful female artists - she had two periods of moderate success at the beginning and the arse end of the 80's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I can list loads of acts in their 20's who have had no radio play or promotion in the UK.

And as for ageism and Madonna, what had Madge done for it? She drapes herself with young dancers, constantly tries to align herself with the flavour of the month young darling. Also Kim Wilde was never one of the most successful female artists - she had two periods of moderate success at the beginning and the arse end of the 80's.

Kim Wilde is one of England's most successful solo female artist - selling 10 million albums and 20 million singles worldwide. She may not have had the success of artists such as Madonna, but she has longevity and her best selling album, Close, was in the UK album charts for months after peaking at number 8. She is more successful in Europe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Madonna's Rebel Heart still in the top 10 on this week's French Albums Chart ?

https://francemusiccharts.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/week-ending-22nd-march-2015-albums-chart/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RH is down to #22 in the midweeks. Her first album to spend less then 2 weeks in the top 20. Poor M.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    RH is down to #22 in the midweeks. Her first album to spend less then 2 weeks in the top 20. Poor M.

I'm going to say something really controversial - I am bored with Rebel Heart already. Unlike other Madonna albums it just doesn't make me keen to hear it anymore. I'm not surprised it has dropped to number 22 as M fans see it through rose tinted glasses. I did a copy for a work colleague and she said it was a bit dull and boring and you wait too long for a good song to come along. Perhaps, and it is only a perhaps, the album isn't actually as good as we think it is? It also says a lot about Madonna right now when she revealed (according to Drowned Madonna) that "Bitch, I'm Madonna" is her favourite song that she has ever done.

Mind you, perhaps if her record company did a bit of promotion here (nothing at all since Album release), the album might have stood a chance. Even Ghosttown can't save it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to say something really controversial - I am bored with Rebel Heart already. Unlike other Madonna albums it just doesn't make me keen to hear it anymore. I'm not surprised it has dropped to number 22 as M fans see it through rose tinted glasses. I did a copy for a work colleague and she said it was a bit dull and boring and you wait too long for a good song to come along. Perhaps, and it is only a perhaps, the album isn't actually as good as we think it is? It also says a lot about Madonna right now when she revealed (according to Drowned Madonna) that "Bitch, I'm Madonna" is her favourite song that she has ever done.

Mind you, perhaps if her record company did a bit of promotion here (nothing at all since Album release), the album might have stood a chance. Even Ghosttown can't save it now.

:o Whaaat??? I absolutely love RH, and truly believe it to be her best since American Life. The performance is disappointing, but as a massive M fan i've not been this happy in 10 years. Can't wait for the tour either.

As for the promotion. It's been more than reasonable IMO. She had two massive TV spots (Brits and Jonathan Ross) and done quite a bit of press. Her online presence these past few weeks has gone through the roof with interviews and articles all over the place. I'm not sure what else she could have personally done.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope that 'B*tch I'm Madonna' is not her favorite song. I mean, what the hell!? that song is is one of the worst she has eve recorded. When you think of some of the corkers she has put out across the years (especially some of the amazing album tracks) it just makes me go what the hell.

Maybe Madonna should stick to a 10 track album with GOOD songs. I'm not saying RH is bad (it's much better than MDNA) but I do agree with the "you have to go through a few dud ones to get a good one")
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

I don't think that's controversial, I was bored on my first listen and wanted it to end quicker than it does. I'm not a fan of erotica or bedtime storied and rebel heart reminds me of those albums, there have been a few comments on the thread which are similar to what you posted.

I still feel the album is too long, albums should be 12 songs long,rebel heart would have been a better album if the rubbish wasn't on it. I would axe unapologetic bitch, illuminate, bitch I'm Madonna (truly awful), body shop, holy water, best night, veni vidi vici and sex (truly awful).

I've got 3 shows booked but if the tour is 8-10 songs of rebel heart I'm not going to like the tour, I'm just hoping someone can make her see sense and tell her hits please not crap from rebel heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    I don't think that's controversial, I was bored on my first listen and wanted it to end quicker than it does. I'm not a fan of erotica or bedtime storied and rebel heart reminds me of those albums, there have been a few comments on the thread which are similar to what you posted.

I still feel the album is too long, albums should be 12 songs long,rebel heart would have been a better album if the rubbish wasn't on it. I would axe unapologetic bitch, illuminate, bitch I'm Madonna (truly awful), body shop, holy water, best night, veni vidi vici and sex (truly awful).

I've got 3 shows booked but if the tour is 8-10 songs of rebel heart I'm not going to like the tour, I'm just hoping someone can make her see sense and tell her hits please not crap from rebel heart.

I'm not going to see Madonna this time around. I have just had a credit card increase so could go if I wanted to. MadonnTribe is reporting ( via the forums) that the tour is ALL Rebel Heart and she will perform one classic song per concert - BUT, the twist is that each city will get a different classic. If this is true and is publicly confirmed, I expect her ticket sales to stop right now!

I have recently been listening to many of my albums from my entire CD library, and even amongst older Madonna albums, Rebel Heart is just weak. It has dropped down to just above Like A virgin in terms of my favourite M albums. I doubt I'll listen to it again for ages. Possibly not this year. The secret of a solid, brilliant Madonna album is a limited amount of collaborators. There are just way too many people involved with RH whereas albums like LaP, RoL and American Life are just M and one or two more people only. I think too much influence from others weakens Madonna's personality on record.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to see Madonna this time around. I have just had a credit card increase so could go if I wanted to. MadonnTribe is reporting ( via the forums) that the tour is ALL Rebel Heart and she will perform one classic song per concert - BUT, the twist is that each city will get a different classic. If this is true and is publicly confirmed, I expect her ticket sales to stop right now!

I have recently been listening to many of my albums from my entire catalogue, and even amongst older Madonna albums, Rebel Heart is just weak. It has dropped down to just above Like A virgin in terms of my favourite M albums. I doubt I'll listen to it again for ages. Possibly not this year. The secret of a solid, brilliant Madonna album is a limited amount of collaborators. There are just way too many people involved with RH whereas albums like LaP, RoL and American Life are just M and one or two more people only. I think too much influence from others weakens Madonna's personality on record.

12 days ago you reviewed it 5/5 and said it was among her very best albums....

But in all honesty it's a dud, the 3rd in a row - this is why her sales and interest are low. When people review madonna's legacy in years time these albums will be a footnote, in the same way people don't talk about most legacy acts modern music - unless it truely is exceptional.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have recently been listening to many of my albums from my entire CD library, and even amongst older Madonna albums, Rebel Heart is just weak. It has dropped down to just above Like A virgin in terms of my favourite M albums. I doubt I'll listen to it again for ages. Possibly not this year. The secret of a solid, brilliant Madonna album is a limited amount of collaborators. There are just way too many people involved with RH whereas albums like LaP, RoL and American Life are just M and one or two more people only. I think too much influence from others weakens Madonna's personality on record.

That's not very good if true...even for fans, yes people will like to hear the new songs live, but they like it mixed up as well, with some of the old favourites and tracks that don't get heard often live.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good songs from it:
    -Living For Love (I really love this actually)
    -Illuminati
    -Ghosttown
    -Iconic
    -Heartbreak City

that's literally it in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, there are others I do like (Holy Water, the awful Sex etc) but they're not good songs. I wouldn't play them to my friends to convert them into M fans put it that way :D
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 days ago you reviewed it 5/5 and said it was among her very best albums....

But in all honesty it's a dud, the 3rd in a row - this is why her sales and interest are low. When people review madonna's legacy in years time these albums will be a footnote, in the same way people don't talk about most legacy acts modern music - unless it truely is exceptional.

Yes, you're correctly pointing that bit out, and it seems so long ago now. But, it is probably a perfect example as to why people shouldn't review things when it's all fresh and new. I still listen to MDNA a lot because the latter half is mainly M and William Orbit and you can really tell the difference compared to the first half. What would I rate RH now? Well, just 2.5 in reality.

The art of creating a good album is to leave the listener wanting more once the last track has finished. Rebel Heart makes you think "thank God for that!"
  • Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you're correctly pointing that bit out, and it seems so long ago now. But, it is probably a perfect example as to why people shouldn't review things when it's all fresh and new. I still listen to MDNA a lot because the latter half is mainly M and William Orbit and you can really tell the difference compared to the first half. What would I rate RH now? Well, just 2.5 in reality.

The art of creating a good album is to leave the listener wanting more once the last track has finished. Rebel Heart makes you think "thank God for that!"

Sounds to me like you're just throwing your toys out of the pram to save face. If Rebel Heart had been top of the charts for 3 weeks running you would be all over these threads claiming it one of her career highs. Sounds to me like you spend too much time reading fan fiction on the forums in regards to what Madonna is doing next. Half of it is bollocks, I mean wasn't it also you who told everyone MDNA was called Bitches and Broadrooms? a fan fic title made up by a Britney fan no less!

Rebel Heart has been met with an overwhelming positive reaction from critics but Madonna fans like yourself are her own worst enemy.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

Tribe are usually accurate with M reports. If that is the set list I will be offloading my Stockholm and Herning tickets.

It would also be career suicide, I'm not a fan of Guy Oseary (he should have been sacked years ago), he needs to grow a pair and tell her NO.