Do you fear dying? Do you think about it?

Comments

• ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do fear dying - and life seems to be rushing by now at an ever accelerating pace. Christmasses and birthdays come round faster and faster it seems.

I love life. There is so much to enjoy. I can't bear the thought of one day not being here to see the English spring and hear birdsong and feel the sun on my face. The thought that everything will go on without me and eventually I will be totally forgotten upsets me.

I also fear HOW I die.
    I am terrified of choking to death in some way - of struggling to breathe.
    I think I would almost welcome Alzheimers in old age because then at least I wouldn't worry about these things any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    Yes I do fear dying - and life seems to be rushing by now at an ever accelerating pace. Christmasses and birthdays come round faster and faster it seems.

I love life. There is so much to enjoy. I can't bear the thought of one day not being here to see the English spring and hear birdsong and feel the sun on my face. The thought that everything will go on without me and eventually I will be totally forgotten upsets me.

I also fear HOW I die.
    I am terrified of choking to death in some way - of struggling to breathe.
    I think I would almost welcome Alzheimers in old age because then at least I wouldn't worry about these things any more.

Unfortunately with Alzheimer's disease it is the family and friends you LEAVE who have the pain. I am having a lot of difficulty being polite in my reply here, it's not something I or any of my family, would ever wish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    Unfortunately with Alzheimer's disease it is the family and friends you LEAVE who have the pain. I am having a lot of difficulty being polite in my reply here, it's not something I or any of my family, would ever wish.
    I know - my father had Alzheimers for ten years before he died. I cared for him until eventually he had to go into a home and I visited him daily. I used to drive home after those visits with tears pouring down my face.
    But my father wasn't afraid of death. I noticed that. He lived in this kind of daze - a dream world. It seemed better than other deaths I've witnessed where there has been pain and terror.
    That's why I say that for the person with Alzheimers at least there is no more fear.
    And of course it's bad for those left behind to care for you but I would have no-one to do that anyway.

This part of the poem "Aubade" by Philip Larkin sums up pretty much what I feel about death.
    Till then I see what's really always there:
    Unresting death, a whole day nearer now,
    Making all thought impossible but how
    And where and when I shall myself die.
    Arid interrogation: yet the dread
    Of dying, and being dead,
    Flashes afresh to hold and horrify.
    The mind blanks at the glare. Not in remorse
    - The good not done, the love not given, time
    Torn off unused - nor wretchedly because
    An only life can take so long to climb
    Clear of its wrong beginnings, and may never;
    But at the total emptiness for ever,
    The sure extinction that we travel to
    And shall be lost in always. Not to be here,
    Not to be anywhere,
    And soon; nothing more terrible, nothing more true.

This is a special way of being afraid
    No trick dispels. Religion used to try,
    That vast, moth-eaten musical brocade
    Created to pretend we never die,
    And specious stuff that says No rational being
    Can fear a thing it will not feel, not seeing
    That this is what we fear - no sight, no sound,
    No touch or taste or smell, nothing to think with,
    Nothing to love or link with,
    The anasthetic from which none come round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    Lol highly possible - though it's more likely she would throw herself into her work and end up running some animal sanctuary in the middle of nowhere, or surrounded by cats. :p

....she sounds kooky..I like. :)
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    No I don't fear death. I think Chopra is a sham though.

Seconded.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always say in these threads, that I fear dying young, before I feel fulfilled or missing out on seeing my daughter grow up. I don't think I have anything to fear once I'm already gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    Artymags wrote: »
    I know - my father had Alzheimers for ten years before he died. I cared for him until eventually he had to go into a home and I visited him daily. I used to drive home after those visits with tears pouring down my face.
    But my father wasn't afraid of death. I noticed that. He lived in this kind of daze - a dream world. It seemed better than other deaths I've witnessed where there has been pain and terror.
    That's why I say that for the person with Alzheimers at least there is no more fear.
    And of course it's bad for those left behind to care for you but I would have no-one to do that anyway.

This part of the poem "Aubade" by Philip Larkin sums up pretty much what I feel about death.

Alzheimers is a particularly hard and emotionally exhausting illness to deal with. I can only imagine what you had to deal with. xx
  • BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <Dusts off old Woody Allen Quote>

"I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens"
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came the last night of sadness
    And it was clear she couldn't go on
    Then the door was open and the wind appeared
    The candles blew then disappeared
    The curtains flew then he appeared...saying don't be afraid
    Come on baby...and she had no fear
    And she ran to him...then they started to fly
    They looked backward and said goodbye...she had become like they are
    She had taken his hand...she had become like they are
    Come on baby...don't fear the reaper
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no fear of death, it's an inevitability. Should I have chance for a moment of reflection just before it happens I feel I've done enough already to look back on my life fondly and without regrets knowing I had a pretty good go at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Seconded.
    Thirded.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely even think about it. It's only when it is mentioned that it crosses my mind.

I don't fear being dead, but I do fear or am annoyed by the fact that I won't be able to see what the world is like in say a hundred or a thousand years. As a lover of history and also of current events that will become historical, I fear that there is so much I will miss out on.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Came the last night of sadness
    And it was clear she couldn't go on
    Then the door was open and the wind appeared
    The candles blew then disappeared
    The curtains flew then he appeared...saying don't be afraid
    Come on baby...and she had no fear
    And she ran to him...then they started to fly
    They looked backward and said goodbye...she had become like they are
    She had taken his hand...she had become like they are
    Come on baby...don't fear the reaper

Love that song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXfkkyI1nQ
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I have no fear of death since my dad told me, when I was about 6 that there was no point in worrying about it as everyone went through it. Strangely, now, I found that comforting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never think about it unless I think it's imminent, like when I see the car at the last second crossing the road, or I fall down stairs. I don't want to die any time soon, but it doesn't really weigh on my mind. Maybe it will when one day I find the years have got behind me, but I hope not.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to fear death at all but any time spent on nonsense spewed by Deepak Chopra is a waste of valuable time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to fear death at all but any time spent on nonsense spewed by Deepak Chopra is a waste of valuable time!

Absolutely right!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    No I don't fear death. I think Chopra is a sham though.

Can you explain how Chopra is a sham?....he writes and lectures based on his opinion and he is a real medical doctor....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the amazing Randi isn't right?......Don't you sometimes like to hear differing opinions than those that complement yours?

I like this video about death....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU7ftKGY37s
  • reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got to a point where I wanted to die not that long ago, ever since I haven't been afraid of dieing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think of Dylan Thomas - 'Do not go gentle into that good night' when I think of death.... Although I don't want to go kicking and screaming would rather go peacefully in my sleep if possible...:)
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    Can you explain how Chopra is a sham?....he writes and lectures based on his opinion and he is a real medical doctor....

He's rambling on about people having a soul, something that cannot be estalished and is designed to appeal to people believing in a god. He can have no concept of life after death.

People don't have souls. They evolved from simple organisms on this planet, a planet in an incredibly vast universe, which if you could travel at the speed of light you would never travel its vastness.

Another charlatan for the masses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrio wrote: »
    He's rambling on about people having a soul, something that cannot be estalished and is designed to appeal to people believing in a god. He can have no concept of life after death.

People don't have souls. They evolved from simple organisms on this planet, a planet in an incredibly vast universe, which if you could travel at the speed of light you would never travel its vastness.

Another charlatan for the masses.

ditto !
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear dying while my children are still so young, But i came to terms with the fact that i'm gonna die one day a long long time ago.
    I try to live everyday with my children to the fullest, no matter what:).
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it slightly worrying that a qualified medical doctor can have so little understanding of evolution. He preys on the gullible who lap up his nonsense.