The problem of sexual abuse in the white community

Comments

• trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exquisitely typical Guardian article. You can juggle statistics any way you like (and every way still shows ethnic minorities over-represented in those put away for sex crimes, but then again, they are over-represented in the prison population as a whole).

I know what my neighbours told me who both worked in the local NHS in Tower Hamlets when I lived there, and I believed them. They were so sick of it, and the intimidation that went with it, they sold up and moved back to their home town.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucianB wrote: »
    It's kinda like using that schilders list bloke to disprove the idea Germany was anit semitic during the 30/40's.

The vast majority of people on that thread were like "lynch the b******"

No, it really isn't, y'know.

Your agenda is pretty clear now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as a black man, i too think british = white. just supprised when people actually admit it.

Bit of a cat-out-the-bag, is it not?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't know enough about the cases to say whether it is or not, or to what extent. However, if it is, it's something that needs dealing with much more carefully than overblown Daily Mail headlines that are more likely to call the EDL to arms than actually deal with the subject at hand.

You see, what gets me a bit about this issue is that people are very quick to call out the tabloid media on how they word their headlines, but they never say what they would put in it's place.

I'll bite on this one. If a typical Daily Mail headline was "Muslim paedophile gang targets innocent white girls", which factually may well be true, I might have:-

"Sex predators target young girls"

You got any thoughts on how you would word the headline if you were a newspaper editor ? Or would it even merit a headline in your view ? Or even reporting at all ?

Would it make any difference if you were reporting locally in Bradford itself ?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

Never heard the term "institutionally racist"?

Doesn't matter if you are a good (white) copper you're a closet racist because of the actions of a minority.

*jaw drops*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Jimmy Saville et al targetted ethnic minority victims then the comparison on the coverage (or lack of it) would be fair comment. They didn't.

In the context of the Bradford and Derby incidents the crime would seem to have had a specific target against victims of a different ethnicity. In other crimes of violence this would be characterised as a "hate crime" and would be punished more severely.

That is the concern about the Asian led paedophile rings compared to the "celebrity" paedophile rings.

If it is more important to stamp out racist violence in society it is equally a more important issue to stamp out racially motivated sexual violence in society.

Precisely.
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    *jaw drops*

Care to amplify "*jaw drops*":confused:
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    You see, what gets me a bit about this issue is that people are very quick to call out the tabloid media on how they word their headlines, but they never say what they would put in it's place.

I'll bite on this one. If a typical Daily Mail headline was "Muslim paedophile gang targets innocent white girls", which factually may well be true, I might have:-

"Sex predators target young girls"

You got any thoughts on how you would word the headline if you were a newspaper editor ? Or would it even merit a headline in your view ? Or even reporting at all ?

Would it make any difference if you were reporting locally in Bradford itself ?

Half the problem is the nature of that type of paper in the first place. They're always going to go for the more sensationalist headline, because that's the nature of the beast. I'd like to think they'd consider the potential implications of a headline that screams out about Muslim Sex Gangs or the like.

How did the broadsheets report the story? The Guardian didn't mention their ethnicity in the headline for this article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/08/rochdale-gang-guilty-exploiting-girls

However, they did go into that side of the issue in the article, where they could do so in more detail and lay it out properly. I think that was the correct way to do it.
  • LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - well I'm white and I certainly don't think that way. I tend to distance myself from anyone who comes out with that kind of stuff, because it doesn't represent how I feel. Maybe it comes from having mixed race relatives and friends with different ethnic backgrounds that I grew up with, who I consider to belong here every bit as much as I do.
    Why do you distance yourself from it? The person who I quoted was not even being racist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Bit of a cat-out-the-bag, is it not?
    Cat out of what bag?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as a black man, i too think british = white. just supprised when people actually admit it.

I don't think that. I think of all of us of whatever colour, creed or religion. As long as British values have been adopted.
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    No, it really isn't, y'know.

Your agenda is pretty clear now.

Sorry, you'll have to remind me. What precisely is the OP's agenda in your view ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there have been countless threads about Muslim paedo gangs so I understand the OPs point but If he can not be arsed to put more effort in... Frankly niether can I
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half the problem is the nature of that type of paper in the first place. They're always going to go for the more sensationalist headline, because that's the nature of the beast. I'd like to think they'd consider the potential implications of a headline that screams out about Muslim Sex Gangs or the like.

How did the broadsheets report the story? The Guardian didn't mention their ethnicity in the headline for this article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/08/rochdale-gang-guilty-exploiting-girls

However, they did go into that side of the issue in the article, where they could do so in more detail and lay it out properly. I think that was the correct way to do it.

So the Jimmy Saville case should have been reported as "Deceased Leeds man abused children"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that. I think of all of us of whatever colour, creed or religion. As long as British values have been adopted.
    lol British values? Have the people on Jeremy Kyle adopted your British values? I'll pay my tax's and stick with what I know, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you distance yourself from it? The person who I quoted was not even being racist.

Because it's the polar opposite from what I consider to be British.

The people I mean when I say I distance myself from them tend to be white, who might come out with the odd racist comment, as if I'm supposed to nod in agreement just because I happen to be white as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

I wonder if the sensationalist headline does cause the paper to sell better. Or if it makes no difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol British values? Have the people on Jeremy Kyle adopted your British values? I'll pay my tax's and stick with what I know, thanks.

When I think of British values, I tend to think (probably quite naively) of honesty, decency and fair play. The old fashioned values.

I never watch Jeremy Kyle.

Re: BIB above ~ What do you know, out of interest ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's the polar opposite from what I consider to be British.

The people I mean when I say I distance myself from them tend to be white, who might come out with the odd racist comment, as if I'm supposed to nod in agreement just because I happen to be white as well.
    So black = British?

Well everone says racist, sexist, homophobic stuff. What offends and does not offend is subjective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Jimmy Saville case should have been reported as "Deceased Leeds man abused children"?

I'll come back to you when I've figured out the relevance to the point I was making.

I may be some time... :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the flip side of the coin.

What pisses me off on here is that people are full of invective for the media, but don't seem to have any meaningful plan in place for what they would do if confronted with the reality of reporting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I wonder if the sensationalist headline does cause the paper to sell better. Or if it makes no difference.

I'm sure it does. Perhaps they put that consideration above the potential damage it does to race relations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So black = British?

Well everone says racist, sexist, homophobic stuff. What offends and does not offend is subjective.

Do they ? I certainly don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it does. Perhaps they put that consideration above the potential damage it does to race relations.

Oh, you can be sure of that. Profit before anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat out of what bag?

If anyone dare let slip the lazy assumption that British = white, or worse, actually believe that should exclusively be the case, then they are instantly tasered by the Right-On Mob.

To hear it from a Black poster is just a little startling, that's all.

Black cat out of a politically correct bag?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    And in the vast majority of cases, they involve men and girls: So it's white straight people we need to poke with our pitchforks.

:D