Should banned users usernames be re used?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Just a little thought that came into my head, should banned users forum names become re available after maybe a year?

Comments

• MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't that be confusing with everyone thinking they were talking to the original banned member? :confused:
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there's big brothers 1 to 8 on here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe releasing names after, say 5 or 10yrs, would probably work, but after only a year would be silly and kinda confusing.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Absolutely - there is a real risk of us running out of letter and number combinations so re-use is essential.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Maybe releasing names after, say 5 or 10yrs, would probably work, but after only a year would be silly and kinda confusing.
    Having had a heart attack at seeing bob.bobsta return which turned out to be a thread dredged up from the '10 years ago' pit, I'd say it's probably better if the names are left marked as 'used' unless all threads involving them were removed, otherwise you'll constantly have to remind everyone that the offensive stuff was 'the other me'...
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a good point, Dr W...perhaps if a name is re-used it could have a different colour, or something to differentiate it from the previous user?
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have hidden risks. They'd inherit all the PBUs previous posting history and in the unlikely event of the search ever getting fixed, that could suddenly become embarrassing
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    That's a good point, Dr W...perhaps if a name is re-used it could have a different colour, or something to differentiate it from the previous user?

Yep like sticking a number at the end of your name and upping it every time you get banned. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having had a heart attack at seeing bob.bobsta return which turned out to be a thread dredged up from the '10 years ago' pit, I'd say it's probably better if the names are left marked as 'used' unless all threads involving them were removed, otherwise you'll constantly have to remind everyone that the offensive stuff was 'the other me'...

Yep, good point. I think a permanent-ban on the username is the only way to go.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A better option would be for DS to review their banning policy. Knowing first hand the slightest thing folk can get a warning for, a 3 strikes and youre out permanently policy is rather draconian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    We already have people getting confused between posters of different names, I think asking people to remember whether it was the green one or the blue one they were having the argument with would probably be going that bit too far in the complexity!

And don;t suggest avatars, that would make it worse as people would keep changing their to mess with our heads, or do animated ones and turn them into remote hacking exploits to kill our computers and kick off a global thermonuclear war.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have hidden risks.
    These things always do!
    They'd inherit all the PBUs previous posting history and in the unlikely event of the search ever getting fixed, that could suddenly become embarrassing
    Though I can manage my own embarrassment without needing someone else's history to do it...
    Yep like sticking a number at the end of your name
    But some people do that as part of their name in any case, tricky one to spot.
    and upping it every time you get banned. :D
    That thought never occurred to me :p
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These things always do!

Though I can manage my own embarrassment without needing someone else's history to do it...

But some people do that as part of their name in any case, tricky one to spot.

That thought never occurred to me :p

:D:D:D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagsy tinktinktinkerbell ;)
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    No as they would be re-used by the banned user! :D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you think the mods will become suspicious when I come back as CravenHaven2, or ReturnOfTheCraven?
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I think they should.

Yours sincerely,

CrazyChris.