NOT looking good for the future?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
Forum Member
✭✭
Article today in The Independent doesn't look good for mid-evening broadcasts for future BBs. It's being marginalised:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/channel-5-gives-big-brother-the-cold-shoulder-9811916.html
In case you can't get that:
Channel 5 is looking to change its image by showing more upmarket programmes and becoming less defined by the reality show Big Brother.

Sources at the broadcaster say it will undergo a rebranding exercise following its £450m purchase by the American media group Viacom from the Daily Express owner Richard Desmond in May.
Channel 5 is anxious to define its own identity rather than be seen merely as a competitor to Channel 4, which ditched Big Brother in 2010 saying it wanted to undergo “creative renewal”.
The changes at Channel 5 are likely to see Big Brother pushed to the margins of the late-night schedule. Mr Desmond bought the show in 2011 after eight months of negotiations with producers Endemol and it provided the backbone of the schedule during much of his four-year ownership of the public-service broadcaster.
The Northern & Shell publishing mogul made a vast profit from Channel 5, having purchased the network for a bargain basement £104m from the German-owned media company RTL Group in 2010.
Big Brother’s dominance of the Channel 5 schedule has become less pronounced in the past year as the rest of the schedule was improved to fatten the offering ahead of its sale. The new American crime drama Gotham, which started with an audience of 3.8 million, is the network’s best-performing show of the year so far.
Big Brother has already been moved from 9pm in the schedule to 10pm, where it still attracts audiences of up to 2.4 million. It is likely that the broadcaster would be prepared to push the show to 11pm in the belief that the loyal and young, and mainly female, audience would follow it. Celebrity Big Brother, which was last scheduled this summer at 9pm and drew audiences of up to 3.7 million for a series won by the 70-year-old American actor Gary Busey. Channel 5 believes its opportunities are in chasing a young audience and sometimes targeting upmarket viewers when rival terrestrial broadcasters are scheduling populist entertainment shows.

So us nightbirds might be getting the main programme instead of live feed >:(>:(>:(

Comments

• honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    :confused: "Sometimes targeting upmarket viewers" ?
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its best to wait and see what they actually do with BB before getting our knickers in a twist over a newspaper story!
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more upmarket my arse
    the people that brought new levels of depravity with Geordie shore.
    BBC4 does high end stuff. BBC does high end Drama Channel 5 has just had an owner that basically copied every show Channel 4 did in some shape or form.

BBUK could be amazing its channel 5 and endemol taking the show in the gutter is the failure NOT the show itself. I swear I wish Endemol would just walk away rest the show for a year and put the bloody thing 100% online and screw the lot of them
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    more upmarket my arse
    the people that brought new levels of depravity with Geordie shore.
    BBC4 does high end stuff. BBC does high end Drama Channel 5 has just had an owner that basically copied every show Channel 4 did in some shape or form.

BBUK could be amazing its channel 5 and endemol taking the show in the gutter is the failure NOT the show itself. I swear I wish Endemol would just walk away rest the show for a year and put the bloody thing 100% online and screw the lot of them

Yes I agree endemol online.

Channel 5 ruined the show this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »

Not sure if that still is the case but apparently plan B was putting the entire series online if Channel 5 deal failed to happen.

I do think Endemol need a serious think what's best for the show because at the moment this is becoming more humiliating than when channel 4 did the hijack series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so amazing the shows that Endemol uk produce
    This link proves they could go it alone

Big brother is a worldwide brand and This Year channel 5 brought the brand into disrepute .
    Viewers were angry .

http://www.endemoluk.com/our-shows

They could have their own channel or internet channels.

I hope they do so that there is none of this cross promotion - eg geordie shore and all the other mtv,vh1 shows owned by Viacom .
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How did Channel 5 ruin it? :confused: (Rather than Endemol)
    Not sure if that still is the case but apparently plan B was putting the entire series online if Channel 5 deal failed to happen.

I wonder if the wannabes will wannabe online.
    I do think Endemol need a serious think what's best for the show because at the moment this is becoming more humiliating than when channel 4 did the hijack series

The hijack series was one of the best ever, imo.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB in a late night slot?
    11pm?
    I very much doubt the ratings could justify the existence. :blush:
  • happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Im not aware that BB had a future….
    Has there been an announcement of a renewal of contracts?
    C5 used the name/brand to a means of promoting and selling the channel……mission complete.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »

Channel 5 is our , as viewers, only point of contact with big brother.

They are the channel who transmitted bb15 so even if endemol eg decided to allow Helen to win by manipulation (well documented.)the buck stops with channel 5.
    That's why Ofcom is not investigating Endemol but still investigating channel 5.

Only channel 5 could have done something to allay the complaints but what did they do - they ignored the complaints ,issued a statement which was incorrect and had to be reissued after numerous complaints about the statement - they didn't care.

That's why I say channel 5 ruined big brother this summer with a total disregard for the viewers and that's why it was the worst audience figures of bb ever but still pretty good for channel 5 audience figures.

Endemol , as stated in many threads needs really to disassociate themselves from channel 5 and protect their brand .

If you check my previous post
    There is a link detailing what Endemol does.

Endemol is a fairly big company but it would be a change of direction if it had its own channel so maybe online is the answer.

Rant over
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rant over
    After that, I'd offer you cheese and biccies, but there's only this strange grey stuff and rubbish Tuc bics ;-):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very Good Question I think we might see a more toned down set of HM's.
    was reading the guardian article on Ben frows take of the summer HM's and he clearly wasn't impressed. Endemol have some serious thinking because if smith thought the HM's were "amazing" his words, Frow clearly didn't
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11pm would be fine to me if they did the original format, That is without the silly things they do to get viewers at 21:00.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 is our , as viewers, only point of contact with big brother.

They are the channel who transmitted bb15 so even if endemol eg decided to allow Helen to win by manipulation (well documented.)the buck stops with channel 5.
    That's why Ofcom is not investigating Endemol but still investigating channel 5.

Only channel 5 could have done something to allay the complaints but what did they do - they ignored the complaints ,issued a statement which was incorrect and had to be reissued after numerous complaints about the statement - they didn't care.

That's why I say channel 5 ruined big brother this summer with a total disregard for the viewers and that's why it was the worst audience figures of bb ever but still pretty good for channel 5 audience figures.

Endemol , as stated in many threads needs really to disassociate themselves from channel 5 and protect their brand .

I don't think Ofcom is quite investigating C5. Ofcom investigates complaints, and it's the broadcaster who's responsible for obeying the broadcasting code (as a condition of its broadcasting licence). None of that means that C5, rather than Endemol, made the decisions that ruined BB.

Back when BB was on C4, there was a similar tendency to blame C4 for everything. It makes a lot more sense to look to the common factor: Endemol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Good Question I think we might see a more toned down set of HM's.
    was reading the guardian article on Ben frows take of the summer HM's and he clearly wasn't impressed. Endemol have some serious thinking because if smith thought the HM's were "amazing" his words, Frow clearly didn't

Do you happen to have a link? It sounds worth reading, and trying to find it by searching on the Guardian site is proving a frustrating experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Ofcom is quite investigating C5. Ofcom investigates complaints, and it's the broadcaster who's responsible for obeying the broadcasting code (as a condition of its broadcasting licence). None of that means that C5, rather than Endemol, made the decisions that ruined BB.

Back when BB was on C4, there was a similar tendency to blame C4 for everything. It makes a lot more sense to look to the common factor: Endemol.

You are quite right that Ofcom are investigating complaints but in effect if the complaints are upheld , it is channel 5 who have broken the broadcast rules not Endemol.

Actually the repeat of the arguments between Helen and Danielle was not shown because channel 5 deemed it not suitable for daytime viewing.

So in effect channel 5 edited the show so why did they not edit the rest of the 12 week run instead of ignoring the bad press and complaints .

Why did they not address the issues.

Compare bbau and bbuk
    endemol is common thread but 2 different programmes were produced so I can only assume that the broadcaster must tell endemol what type of big brother they want.
    QED
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are quite right that Ofcom are investigating complaints but in effect if the complaints are upheld , it is channel 5 who have broken the broadcast rules not Endemol.

That doesn't mean C5 made the decisions that meant BB violated the rules.

For example, in the Jade / Shilpa CBB, Ofcom found against C4 because a warning issued by BB (the producers working for Endemol) was too weak. C4 had then insisted on a stronger warning, which Ofcom said was strong enough (though too late). In that case, it was the Endemol producers who made the decision that put BB in violation of the broadcasting code.
    Actually the repeat of the arguments between Helen and Danielle was not shown because channel 5 deemed it not suitable for daytime viewing.

So in effect channel 5 edited the show so why did they not edit the rest of the 12 week run instead of ignoring the bad press and complaints .

The would mean C5 taking over the making of BB. That's not how such shows are made.

Besides, what makes you think the repeat wasn't shown because channel 5 deemed it not suitable for daytime viewing?
    Why did they not address the issues.

Compare bbau and bbuk
    endemol is common thread but 2 different programmes were produced so I can only assume that the broadcaster must tell endemol what type of big brother they want.
    QED

No, it's different people making the show in different countries, even if they're all under "Endemol" in one way or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/tv/reality/bigbrother/big-brother-power-trip-why-defend-helen-wood-499519.html

This article written at the time(lest we forget) especially the second part confirms channel 5 edit and cover up Policy.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Why does this show have to continually go through the mill?!

Complete overkill in it's short time on the channel, and the dreadful BB15 has sounded the death knell for a second time.

It doesn't sound as if Viacom are in support of the show at all and I fear for it's future.

The further BB is away from Channel 5 the better, and it would benefit hugely by moving to a third home. I think it is on borrowed time sadly and I really hope it isn't axed a second time that would be just too cruel.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way to save it is if they rethink completely what they are doing it with and strip it back, a lot. And actually have open auditions like they used to.

But my fear is Helen winning has ruined it and buried it for many within the show itself, never mind the public.

They need to make up for that disaster of BB 2014 in 2015 if they want to save the show.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be scrapped me thinks.

Reality TV is dying, and Big Brother getting AXED (the biggest reality show ever) will be the confirmation for many haters.
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problems with Channel 5 trying to go "up-market"; but instead of dumping Big Brother at 11pm, why not make it more up-market too?

Let's face it, most people aren't happy with the chavvy version we have now, bring it back to basics; make it a social experiment again, and not just some reality show.

Hell, they can keep it at 11pm and do that if they want; I just want proper Big Brother!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree we want bb to continue and go back to basics.

A different channel would be best as long as it is a channel that is on freeview.
    We don't want it on a channel on the sky platform or internet only

While most people have internet it would be wise not to cut down audience by having it on internet only.

My favourite is bbc4 I would not mind cross promotion of bbc programmes but it will never happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    That doesn't mean C5 made the decisions that meant BB violated the rules.

For example, in the Jade / Shilpa CBB, Ofcom found against C4 because a warning issued by BB (the producers working for Endemol) was too weak. C4 had then insisted on a stronger warning, which Ofcom said was strong enough (though too late). In that case, it was the Endemol producers who made the decision that put BB in violation of the broadcasting code.

The would mean C5 taking over the making of BB. That's not how such shows are made.

Besides, what makes you think the repeat wasn't shown because channel 5 deemed it not suitable for daytime viewing?

No, it's different people making the show in different countries, even if they're all under "Endemol" in one way or another.

Channel 5 do have a certain level of input but it is quite minimal. They'll be the ones monitoring the viewing figures and if it's under performing, they'll make Endemol do something about it. That's probably about as far as it goes outside of promotion etc, purely because Channel 5 broadcast other shows too!

What people often fail to acknowledge is that the 'new' Big Brother format started way back on Channel 4 during BB10 when they sent two housemates out to London. The new editing style started during the following Celebrity Big Brother and they started to have visitors into the house, and the final Big Brother on Channel 4 was the first full 'new' series. They even had Davina doing an Emma and talking to the house about 5 times on the eviction nights. So if it was happening then, that shows the decisions are down to Endemol,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCO1 wrote: »
    Channel 5 do have a certain level of input but it is quite minimal. They'll be the ones monitoring the viewing figures and if it's under performing, they'll make Endemol do something about it. That's probably about as far as it goes outside of promotion etc, purely because Channel 5 broadcast other shows too!

What people often fail to acknowledge is that the 'new' Big Brother format started way back on Channel 4 during BB10 when they sent two housemates out to London. The new editing style started during the following Celebrity Big Brother and they started to have visitors into the house, and the final Big Brother on Channel 4 was the first full 'new' series. They even had Davina doing an Emma and talking to the house about 5 times on the eviction nights. So if it was happening then, that shows the decisions are down to Endemol,

I agree with almost everything you have posted but if we are discussing BB15 channel 5 had more than a little input because if you don't show content you cant be reported to Ofcom - remember Ofcom has the power to remove channel 5's broadcasting licence.There is a line channels cannot cross.

As there was no live feed there was plenty of time to edit

In that case whoever reviewed the show at channel 5 before broadcast should be demoted because they could have made more suggestions( as they did by covering up some of the warnings and arguments surrounding Helen.)to address the problems.

Something confuddles me

Why can the Americans,Australians and Canadians to mention 3 get the big brother they want from Endemol BUT the UK have to take what they get with no input.

Sorry it doesn't wash channel 5 are totally responsible for the train wreck known as bb15.