Options

What now for Representing Border?

4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
Forum Member
✭✭
Now that the Scottish referendum is over (for now, at least), is Representing Border going to continue airing for two or even three nights a week?

Although it was introduced to improve political coverage in general for Southern Scotland, it seems that the level of provision was pegged to the referendum itself, exceeding what was originally promised. In the editions which I have seen, Border Scotland is being super-served with political news which would never make even a fully-localised Lookaround programme.

The quality of the programme is superb and great for Border Scotland's audience, but I can't help wondering whether post-referendum, the resources could be more evenly split across the ITV plc regions to allow a more regular regional political offering in England.

Of course, under devo max, Southern Scotland could reasonably argue such levels of coverage should remain, but would ITV really intend to provide 90 minutes of polictial programming long-term to this sub-region?

Comments

• Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure it will continue all the same, as it was intended for the Border region for politics, not just the referendum.

What i'd like to see is Border Scottish on Sky.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did try messaging itv border on facebook about showing 3 hours of local programmes for the south of scotland and showing it on sky and freesat but no reply
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Border region should have been disbanded in 2014 in my opinion, with STV taking Southern Scotland (therefore taking their programming, with a 7 minute opt-out within the 6pm programme and sub-Regional bulletins to continue to provide News coverage) and ITV Tyne Tees/Border taking the English area of this region (again with a 7 minute opt-out within the 6pm programme and sub-regional bulletins for continued News coverage). As part of this agreement, I feel the Political programming for England's regions should be scrapped, instead becoming part of sub-Regional News programming paid for by the amendment/scrapping of the Contract Rights Renewal agreement. This would surely provide a better service to compete against the BBC's own programming.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not from the Border Scotland area. I get STV and STV news from Edinburgh but I do think as I have said in the past that the Scottish part of ITV Border should get one or two more local opt out shows to do with there Scottish area. Maybe taking some STV opt out programmes. As for local news there should be more local news for that area.
    55% of Scotland may have sadly voted to stay as part of the UK last week but things will change up here in the next few years and I think the Scottish part of ITV Border has to change a little to.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Im not from the Border Scotland area. I get STV and STV news from Edinburgh but I do think as I have said in the past that the Scottish part of ITV Border should get one or two more local opt out shows to do with there Scottish area. Maybe taking some STV opt out programmes. As for local news there should be more local news for that area.
    55% of Scotland may have sadly voted to stay as part of the UK last week but things will change up here in the next few years and I think the Scottish part of ITV Border has to change a little to.

Darren

that may not happen till 2024
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that may not happen till 2024

Oh no, not another referendum to bore viewers outside Scotland:o
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »

Darren

How do you sadly vote ?:(
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Sadly vote' Democracy and all.

I'd take STV News programme from Edinburgh but it would have to guarantee almost former Border/Tyne Tees split of 15 minutes Borders/D&G news. Also STV now pan-regionalise weekend bulletins north/central. Borders gets some coverage at weekends with it's local bulletin which it would be extremly lucky to get if it went to STV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Oh no, not another referendum to bore viewers outside Scotland:o

No their is not another referendum but ITV Borders licence was renew by ofcom from 2014 till 2024