Options

Is Jack now sticking with men to protect himself from himself?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
Forum Member
The consensus seems to be that Jack is being portrayed this series as pretty much only being interested in men now, not women.

Do you think that's a conscious decision on his part, following on from the events of Children of Earth where he had to kill his own grandson? After all, if you only sleep with men you're much less likely to get anyone pregnant and produce loved ones who you'll not only have to watch grow old and die, but may also endanger too.

Comments

• Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Being omni-sexual doesn't mean he can't PREFER men.

Regular, human bi-sexuals don't have to have an exactly equal number of male and female partners or alternate them according to some schedule in order to qualify for that label - they just find both genders sexually attractive.

It's no different to someone "straight" having a preference for blondes - they'll mostly date people within that group - they may even go years of only dating blondes - but it doesn't mean they are blonde-sexual and won't or can't find a brunette appealing.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps after Ianto he now needs something to hold on to, to remind him of him :eek: :D
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's because the whole 'omnisexual' thing was just RTD paying lip service to the idea. He presents Jack as gay because he doesn't have the imagination to write him as anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I do seem to recall a quote from RTD saying something along the lines that one thing they hadn't done so much this season was make Jack's omnisexuality clear. So I don't think it's a character thing as much as that just being the way the writing of the character has worked out this time round.

Though I do think there's probably something to be said that Jack leaning towards more casual relationships like the one-night stand might be as a consequence of the painful ending to his relationship with Ianto.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They've made him gay this series as they are falling over themselves to introduce their gay agenda into America. The idea behind Jack is he'll shag anything, not just blokes because the writers have a point to make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    No. They've made him gay this series as they are falling over themselves to introduce their gay agenda into America. The idea behind Jack is he'll shag anything, not just blokes because the writers have a point to make.

Would that be the same "they" as the person who created Jack and had the idea behind him in the first place, Russell T Davies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Russell T Davies made me a homosexual"

"If I give him the wool, will he make one for me?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Right, you know what? This is MY thread, so I'm going to set the rules.

I asked for opinions on whether the CHARACTER Jack might (consciously or sub-consciously) be altering his behaviour as a consequence of the events of Children of Earth.

If you want to comment on that, as one person has so far, then go right ahead.

If you want to just bang on about gay agendas and slag off the writers, then get the hell out of here.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    phileq wrote: »
    Right, you know what? This is MY thread, so I'm going to set the rules.

I asked for opinions on whether the CHARACTER Jack might (consciously or sub-consciously) be altering his behaviour as a consequence of the events of Children of Earth.

If you want to comment on that, as one person has so far, then go right ahead.

If you want to just bang on about gay agendas and slag off the writers, then get the hell out of here.

I admire your bravery, but sadly on this forum you haven't got much chance of anyone following it when there's a political point to make.

The so called "Gay agenda" is even a minor part of that too...oh well.

Maybe Jack spent years upon years as a husband and father and fancies a bit of a change.
    Maybe he's going through his version of a mid-immortal-life crisis (though he is Mortal now, surely even he thinks that is only temporary...)

In the end he had a female cat Nun with him when he died so he's not going to be exclusive to men forever :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the end he had a female cat Nun with him when he died so he's not going to be exclusive to men forever :p

I am SOOOooooo going avoid the obvious jokes - like "Jack goes to heaven and St Peter says - Did you get any pussy in the last years of your life? and Jack says - 'Nun' " cos that would be too easy so I'll just say that you are assuming that Jack is the Face of Boe.

RTD and Moff have said that they will never say whether or not that is the case. They are leaving that open as a tease.

Or as Jack says - Tabby or not tabby.
  • Options
    Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I am SOOOooooo going avoid the obvious jokes - like "Jack goes to heaven and St Peter says - Did you get any pussy in the last years of your life? and Jack says - 'Nun' " cos that would be too easy so I'll just say that you are assuming that Jack is the Face of Boe.

RTD and Moff have said that they will never say whether or not that is the case. They are leaving that open as a tease.

Or as Jack says - Tabby or not tabby.

*wipes rum and coke from monitor*

Thanks Minky! :mad: :D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Could it be that Captain Jack and Father Jack of Craggy Island are the same person? Father Jack had a strong phobia of nuns and he often reminisced about the past, 'F e ck! Arse! Drink! Girls!' Which could possibly mean he's bi, too :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    All I can say is that he needed to take precautions with Brad because it doesn't rain in California or so the song says.
  • Options
    hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    chipchat wrote: »
    Would that be the same "they" as the person who created Jack and had the idea behind him in the first place, Russell T Davies?

Wasn't he - and his omnisexuality - a Moff creation?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Russell T Davies made me a homosexual"

"If I give him the wool, will he make one for me?"

You want a wolly homo? You kinky thing :D
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »

Didn't the Moff have a lesbian couple of a recent episode of Dr Who.

Presumably you see that as a gay agenda as well?
  • Options
    jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting idea that after COE Jack is avoiding female partners to avoid offspring. He has plenty to be guilty about.

I miss that aspect of Jack's character of flirting with any life form, whether human or alien, whatever the gender! I always found his incessant flirting amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't he - and his omnisexuality - a Moff creation?

He appeared first in a Moff story, but he was very much a creation of RTD as I understand it. RTD chose the name, the accent, based him largely around Barrowman's personality, etc.