does River remember she was Mels

fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
Forum Member
In pandorica opens when River goes to Amys gaff she is like "Whats all this DR Who homemade merchandise?" She was alone and wouldnt have to lie. But in lets kill Hitler she used to play with the stuff?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In pandorica opens when River goes to Amys gaff she is like "Whats all this DR Who homemade merchandise?" She was alone and wouldnt have to lie. But in lets kill Hitler she used to play with the stuff?

LMAO. :D:D:D
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

Is this an oxymoron?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    In pandorica opens when River goes to Amy's gaff she is like "Whats all this DR Who homemade merchandise?" She was alone and wouldn't have to lie. But in lets kill Hitler she used to play with the stuff?

Good point, real word reason, probably poor writing. In universe reason, this was before Big Bang 2 and the reboot.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I suspect that there is some DW transition from being Melody Pond to being River Song!

Melody Pond may remember, but River Song...thats whole other ball of wax!

The same could be said for River and her (lack of) reaction to Amy and Rory in TPO and TBB considering she spent her whole formative years with them!
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member

She also didn't have to pretend not to recognise Rory from his photo.

She should - must - also have known what was actually going to happen since she knew events that happened later.

(There are dozens of similar "issues" in those episodes)

Much as I love Pandorica/Big Bang they are chock-full of logical flaws - I question them but they don't spoil the fun.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I suspect that there is some DW transition from being Melody Pond to being River Song!

Melody Pond may remember, but River Song...thats whole other ball of wax!

The same could be said for River and her (lack of) reaction to Amy and Rory in TPO and TBB considering she spent her whole formative years with them!

I think there could be a simple solution to it all, Melody has been brainwashed to kill The Doctor but after these events this brainwash fades away and River Song might not remember the parts for which she was brain washed for. Or it could be even simplier and that The Doctor has taught her about spoilers to the point she reacts as if events never happened.
    Forum Member
    vampirek wrote: »
    I think there could be a simple solution to it all, Melody has been brainwashed to kill The Doctor but after these events this brainwash fades away and River Song might not remember the parts for which she was brain washed for. Or it could be even simplier and that The Doctor has taught her about spoilers to the point she reacts as if events never happened.

Even easier - bad writing that can be "covered" with a "timey-wimey" style get out of jail free card.

As a kids/family show, it's okay to screw-up on details (a bit like the "bloopers" in films that you can only see thanks to DVD's having a pause/slomo mode). If you look at DW in terms of serious construction (now't wrong with that) then it rarely stands up to scrutiny. The parts that do are often the least popular with mainstream viewers.

The prime example in recent series has to be the Spitfires. Everything about that idea of creating a gravity bubble but the planes can fly in space - not just within the bubble - is ludicrious - but it's one of my all time favourite features of Doctor Who - I love them to bits and I'd rather fly a Spit in space than pilot the Tardis.

Basically, you've rarely seen "sci-fi" at the cinema and almost never on TV. What you see is scienec fantasy- magic explained with pseudo-science. Genuine science fiction is an acquired taste. I'd say that Torchwood is way more sci-fi than DW - and look at the reaction that gets from the thickos who keep trolling this forum.
  • ZariusZarius Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I look at it as River realizing the scale of Amy's obsession, rather than just been impressed by her childhood fascination
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat also publicly declared that there was no connection between River Song and Amy Pond when people speculated about the names before Series 5. Obviously there are things he doesn't want to give away, but lying is beyond the usual bounds of behaviour.

All evidence is: this year's arc was created after last year's series had already been fully written.
  • hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Moffat also publicly declared that there was no connection between River Song and Amy Pond when people speculated about the names before Series 5. Obviously there are things he doesn't want to give away, but lying is beyond the usual bounds of behaviour.

All evidence is: this year's arc was created after last year's series had already been fully written.

Though in another interview he has said he had this story arc planned out from when he wrote SITL:confused:
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    "Rule 1: The Doctor lies."
    Rule 2: Steven Moffat lies!
  • fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I look at it as River realizing the scale of Amy's obsession, rather than just been impressed by her childhood fascination
    but river is mells so would know the obsession
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that "the River" we saw in LKH is not "the River" we've seen in any previous episode. The regular River is from some unknown amount of time in her own future and she's been keeping a lot of things secret - possibly to protect the timeline.
  • EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... it's possible (even given that mels grew up with amy & Rory) that it was only when she visited Amy's house and saw all the components of the pandorica trap laid out in front of her that it really hit her what was going on ... and at the time of TPO she wouldn't have seen those toys for a very long time ... the "Rory the Roman" thing could be explained firstly by her being good at not revealig spoilers to her parents ... she's had a life-time of it! ... and that once she realised it was a trap & had a plausible non-spoilery excuse for recognising Rory & letting the doctor know it really was a trap ... we've yet to see how Rory & Amy greet River now they know who she is, it's entirely possible it was very obvious to River that they didn't know in all the meeting's we've already seen, especially since she's had a life time of being with a clueless Rory & Amy already ...
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With just a slender bit more reflection, Mels seemed simultaneously to say that she was the girl form The Impossible Astronaut and that she'd never met the Doctor before.

So either:
    1. the whole Melody plot doesn't hang together at all;
    2. post-regenerative amnesia (which is well established) is somehow much more permanent for River; or
    3. River's life can be rewritten.
  • LurgidBeeLurgidBee Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    With just a slender bit more reflection, Mels seemed simultaneously to say that she was the girl form The Impossible Astronaut and that she'd never met the Doctor before.

the dr and the spacesuit girl only met momentarily at the ep1 the cliff-hanger when amy shot her and they ran away. the only other occasion they would have met would have been when she was a new-born and they conversed in baby-language. adult mels not remembering her very brief sightings of the doctor when she was quite young does not seem like a contradiction to me. there are holes in this plot (specifically river playing dumb about amy's house) but not one here, I don't believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EmmaGx wrote: »
    ... it's possible (even given that mels grew up with amy & Rory) that it was only when she visited Amy's house and saw all the components of the pandorica trap laid out in front of her that it really hit her what was going on ... and at the time of TPO she wouldn't have seen those toys for a very long time ... the "Rory the Roman" thing could be explained firstly by her being good at not revealig spoilers to her parents ... she's had a life-time of it! ... and that once she realised it was a trap & had a plausible non-spoilery excuse for recognising Rory & letting the doctor know it really was a trap ... we've yet to see how Rory & Amy greet River now they know who she is, it's entirely possible it was very obvious to River that they didn't know in all the meeting's we've already seen, especially since she's had a life time of being with a clueless Rory & Amy already ...

^this^

At the time of River's visit to her mum's in TPO, Amy was on the point of remembering who Rory was. River might well have not known who Rory was exactly during some of TPO just as Amy couldn't recall her parents, despite knowing they must have been there before Aunt Sharon looked after her. In TBB I think River-just-back-from-the-TARDIS now had the foreknowledge back and was genuinely surprised though that the Plastic Centurion version of her Dad had survived the cataclysm of Total Event Collapse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    The River/Rory stuff in 'The Pandora Opens' can be explained by the crack. I'm going out on a limb here and thinking Rory doesn't count as being from her timeline, which is why she couldn't remember him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    ^this^

At the time of River's visit to her mum's in TPO, Amy was on the point of remembering who Rory was. River might well have not known who Rory was exactly during some of TPO just as Amy couldn't recall her parents, despite knowing they must have been there before Aunt Sharon looked after her. In TBB I think River-just-back-from-the-TARDIS now had the foreknowledge back and was genuinely surprised though that the Plastic Centurion version of her Dad had survived the cataclysm of Total Event Collapse.
    ... think you may well be right there ... so far as I remember neither the doctor or River have any memory of any of the clrics taken by the crack in The Time of Angels ... if anything it was more of an anomoly that Amy forgot Rory & the doctor remembered ... could be wrong tho, may have to re-watch ... what a pity! *grins*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So either:
    1. the whole Melody plot doesn't hang together at all;
    2. post-regenerative amnesia (which is well established) is somehow much more permanent for River; or
    3. River's life can be rewritten.
    If Melody was living with the Silence as space suit girl she'd have no memory of it ... & given that river really does seem to be playing more dumb than ever when she's examining the suit It does seem that River has no memory of being space suit girl, so why would Mels?

I'd love to know how a homeless toddler lost on the streets of new york made it to Ledworth to grow up with Rory & Amy tho! ... guess the mysterious silence must have helped a lot!

While I think Moffat needs to stick someone on continuity & conundrums to avoid creating questions about practically every episode he writes, I also really don't care, Moffat's ride is just too good for me to mind that some of the details need a little sorting in my head!