ipod query?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm thinking of entering the world of Apple but am quite ignorant of what they are, what they do or how they do it. I did buy a sandisk MP3 player a few years ago but it just stored music and photos. So, treat me like a totally ignorant customer (which I would be without you help:o) and tell me why I should invest in an ipod please. I want to know everything, even stuff you think is almost insulting to write.

Thanks

Comments

• TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Basically, an ipod is just a another mp3 player (assuming you mean the ipod nano and not the touch, which is another thing altogether, and of which I have no experience). The last generation before the latest one came with a built-in basic video camera, and like your Sandisk it could store photos and videos.

However, you say the Sandisk STORES music, which (forgive me if I seem to be taking you up wrong) assumes you don't know it PLAYS music? Neither are hard disks (though the Sandisk may be used as one, to an extent) --- both allow you to download, store and playback music files.

Ipods use almost exclusively software made by Apple, called itunes, which also affords you access to their shop, where you can buy tracks or albums or even videos that can be downloaded directly to your ipod and played thereupon. The DOWNside of ipods, for me, is that they restrict you to using only Apple's software (mostly, see further), so you can't just drag and drop like you can with your Sandisk.

There are other programs you can use as alternatives, the best known and trusted being Media Monkey, but Apple try to push itunes on you. If you're ok with that, fine, but just be aware it can be a major restriction.

The UPside of ipods is that virtually every dock and charging station will recognise and work with an ipod, whereas most of them will have problems with other mp3 players --- essentially, if a dock has cool features it's 90% certain they will only all work with an ipod.

In short, and again I'm talking nano here, if you don't NEED to upgrade your Sandisk then there's no reason to. The main thing an ipod gives you is seamless access to itunes, though by now I'm sure that works with most mp3 player (I don't use it myself).

Any help?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking of entering the world of Apple but am quite ignorant of what they are, what they do or how they do it. I did buy a sandisk MP3 player a few years ago but it just stored music and photos. So, treat me like a totally ignorant customer (which I would be without you help:o) and tell me why I should invest in an ipod please. I want to know everything, even stuff you think is almost insulting to write.

Thanks

Have a look here:

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipod/

and if you have an Apple Store near you, pop in and have a play.