iOS 6 Thoughts?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    So my work colleague has just been showing me the iOS update.

An interesting thing he says is different is that Safari is now a lot quicker at loading pages (both wifi & 3g) and than maps over 3g is very quick (he tells me google maps use to be very slow).

I find maps much slower.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite thing about the update is all the new emojis I now have! :o

Easily pleased....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

So if apples site goes I can't surf the web? Wtf!
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find maps much slower.

I can only go by what he showed me (I have not seen google maps on an iphone). He started up maps and changed from normal to satellite view and the picture came up almost instantly. He then search for trafalgar square, went there and did the flyover view and there was only slight delay when loading additional bits of the picture.

Comparing detail from google maps on my PC, the phone seems to be showing more (names of parks, etc) but I expect that is a settings issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    For those that will be using maps, this is a great addition:rolleyes: if your only using Satellite mode, not only in black and white, but :eek:
    62AC523A-C570-43A7-8981-A3DA9F3472E4-1120-0000005E9904892B_zpsf4fb7de8.jpg

It's the new iCloud
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only go by what he showed me (I have not seen google maps on an iphone). He started up maps and changed from normal to satellite view and the picture came up almost instantly. He then search for trafalgar square, went there and did the flyover view and there was only slight delay when loading additional bits of the picture.

Comparing detail from google maps on my PC, the phone seems to be showing more (names of parks, etc) but I expect that is a settings issue.

His map was cached.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IOS6 is really just 5.1.2 in disguise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His map was cached.

OK. We have just run two iphones (both 4s) in the same office, both on o2 one with iOS 5 google maps and one with iOS6 apple maps.

I put in my postcode (which neither phone could have cached) and the apple maps loaded noticeably faster. Moving around the map (so that it has to load more) gives the same result.

I'm not claiming this is some conclusive test but when I showed him the messages saying the new maps were slow, he didn't agree.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can certainly think of a work that rhymes with map to describe the new maps.

It's like going back 5 years. I know a web version of google maps is still about but it's not great. Fortunately I only upgraded my ipad yesterday so I'll be staying on 5.1 on my iphone for the time being.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iOS 6 is a total dud. I think it’s by far the worst major upgrade Apple has ever provided. It’s more like a 5.1.2 than a 6.0. Let’s take a look at the major differences moving to iOS6 from iOS 5.

1) Removes youtube
    2) Removes google maps.
    3) Adds apple maps. No street view, no transit directions. Remember, google has been doing maps a long time. No way apple is doing it as well in a few months.
    4) Adds what? Facebook integration, ViP mail, do not disturb? iOS 5 users, you can get “do not disturb” functionality with “ringerx vip” in cydia.

This is definitely not worth an upgrade. And if you are jailbroken on iOS5 definitely do not upgrade to this. You will lose your jailbreak and that’s definitely not worth it for this.

Speaking of disappointments, the iPhone 5 seems equally disappointing. The screen is a little bigger – that’s great. The device is a little faster, also neat. But the change of the dock is huge. How many devices do you plug your iphones into? iHome, car, chargers. All this requires new cables and all these devices stop working. In my home I have 5 docks for charging in various rooms, a car deck with an iPod cable coming out of it. All this becomes useless if I buy an iPhone 5. I’ll stick with iPhone 4s another year.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    So my work colleague has just been showing me the iOS update.

An interesting thing he says is different is that Safari is now a lot quicker at loading pages (both wifi & 3g) and than maps over 3g is very quick (he tells me google maps use to be very slow).

ask him if it feels lighter too.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that Apple let their servers get overloaded on purpose so people think "Wow - everyone must have Apple"? Just like queues that they create at nightclubs and you get in there after queuing for over an hour and there is hardly anybody in there (marketing) .

As it's quite simple to cure:

Get more servers or only allow say iPhones to update one week, and then iPads the next followed by I iTouches?
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Installed this morning.
    All working fine.

The turn by turn nav looks very good. I'll be trying that out on a trip tomorrow.

Maps seem fine too. I think people are forgetting this is v1.0 of their maps and they're all used to google maps which have been around in one form or other for 10 years. I suspect there will be updates thick and fast over the next 12 months for it.

Everything else is pretty much the same as it was before but with a few tweaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    I think people are forgetting this is v1.0 of their maps and they're all used to google maps which have been around in one form or other for 10 years.

People are forgetting nothing, maybe apple should of waited another 12 months before releasing it. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    ask him if it feels lighter too.

I don't understand the question:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the question:confused:

He asks in jest lol :D
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are forgetting nothing, maybe apple should of waited another 12 months before releasing it. ;)
    I think their deal with google ran out so they had to. Or pay up for another spell which they obviously didn't want to do.
  • Steve_runnerSteve_runner Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's terrible that Apple forced people to upgrade their software yesterday and kept the change of map update secret. If only they had given people warning, allowed them to asses the changes, and then let them to update at a later date if they wished to make the change.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    I think their deal with google ran out so they had to. Or pay up for another spell which they obviously didn't want to do.

With all the money apple have in the bank they could of negotiated another deal with google, it's not google turning their back on apple it's apple turning their back on google.

So they could of waited another 12 months before releasing their own version of maps which would no doubt still be crap compared to google.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He asks in jest lol :D

Well, I figured it was a joke, but I didn't even understand that:confused:
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's terrible that Apple forced people to upgrade their software yesterday and kept the change of map update secret. If only they had given people warning, allowed them to asses the changes, and then let them to update at a later date if they wished to make the change.

No-one was forced to "upgrade" anything. As far as I know it's entirely upto you whether you decide to upgrade or not.

I personally wish I didn't bother now.
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was a mention of 'Maps' change on the Apple website...

I've still not had a single issue with iOS6
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    No-one was forced to "upgrade" anything. As far as I know it's entirely upto you whether you decide to upgrade or not.

I assumed he was being sarcastic/ironic, no?
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now missing the ability to put Podcasts into a playlist, thats a massive inconvience for me.

I normally create a playlist for when I'm out running, I cant do that anymore because Podcasts have now been given their own App.

Obviously Apple havent got round to correcting their website yet http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/fanfaq.html
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was being sarcastic, basically alluding to the fact people blindly updated their software without reading the features that would be updated.

I don't use maps often enough to be annoyed about it. I compared my iPad to my phone which I haven't yet updated. The basic maps seem about the same, the satellite views/3D are awful on the new iOS unless you live in a big city. I can honestly say I never used maps much. I used to put the odd postcode in before my sat nav device just to see where something was. I guess the people who use it regularly are going to lose out. For their sake I hope some updates come very fast.

As for the rest of the iOS, it's very good. Safari is now noticeably quicker.