Should Everyone In The North Be Given £100,000

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    I know you said in England but us Scots live in the North too. Can we be included too please?

Not sure! depends if they are going to desert a sinking ship!

The only time those of us that live up in 't'north notice the North/South divide s when we re unfortunate enough to have to visit down that way.
    Actually do you know what I notice most, the driving style. up here an 'undertaker' buries down in the southern counties they drive cars! (I overtake they under-take in the inside lane. madness:mad:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but only people in the North West :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about us midlanders??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem is , us Northerners would piss it up the wall in record time and there would be nowt left but a massive hangover and some empty takeaway boxes .
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about us midlanders??

See post 16 ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    All that money could be used to build a 20ft high concrete wall to keep everything north of the Watford Gap separate.

You'll have to start jamming broadcasts from BBC Five Live, because it comes from Salford. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Problem is , us Northerners would piss it up the wall in record time and there would be nowt left but a massive hangover and some empty takeaway boxes .

I.e. you would spend the money well.

We'd do something stupid like give it to the banks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skwill wrote: »
    There is an increasingly severe North/South divide in England and I was thinking of ways to combat it and even out the country.

Should everyone living say, north of Derby, be awarded £100,000 tax free by the government? This would boost the disposable income of those in the North meaning they can buy nicer things. This would result in new, more upmarket shops, restaurants and attractions. People will build nicer houses with the money or use it to make their current house more desirable.

For many, having this additional money would mean they could afford to move to the South. Likewise, due to the increased spending in the North, new desirable housing and attractive businesses, suddenly people from the South will want to live in the North.

Eventually, the whole of England will be even with no North/South divide!
    Hmmm.... How about, alternatively, the Rest of the UK gives London and the South East (say) £25Billion... and see what a balls up can be made.

HEY.... this has already occured, funds having been sequestered to pay for the Ego Trip known as London 2012.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that money could be used to build a 20ft high concrete wall to keep everything north of the Watford Gap separate.

Believe me many northerners would welcome that too. keep all the 'incomers' Away from our beautiful countryside and shores, the lakes and mountains. (not really, we'll share it just a little) If the government were to give us £100K tax free we might even buy you a cup of Yorkshire tea and an Yorkshire pudding
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much does a nuke cost nowadays?
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg think of the pies and whippets I can buy with that!
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They'd only blow it at the local Bingo hall.

Anyway I know of plenty, including myself, who could use £100k.

We're not all wealthy down here ya know.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my goodness, The op is inactive I donate my £100,000 to the mods to bring him back :eek:
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does "the north" start?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »

The Thames upwards, imo.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Southampton.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Mr. Osbourne, can you please step away from the meths before Budget Day.

That's Jeffery to you.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    North of Ireland as well. Whole country actually.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I'd welcome that. Then when most of the North have wasted the money by and giving bar staff and chippy workers enough tips to go on a massive break, I'll still have my £100k which will still be valuable because we'll be untouched by the potential inflation.

And while fellow Northerners are putting themselves into an early grave, my money will be making friends with Jimmy Carr's bank company. :p
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Hmmm.... How about, alternatively, the Rest of the UK gives London and the South East (say) £25Billion... and see what a balls up can be made.

HEY.... this has already occured, funds having been sequestered to pay for the Ego Trip known as London 2012.

If it had been anywhere else in the country would you also see it as an Ego Trip ?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skwill wrote: »
    There is an increasingly severe North/South divide in England and I was thinking of ways to combat it and even out the country.

Should everyone living say, north of Derby, be awarded £100,000 tax free by the government? This would boost the disposable income of those in the North meaning they can buy nicer things. This would result in new, more upmarket shops, restaurants and attractions. People will build nicer houses with the money or use it to make their current house more desirable.

For many, having this additional money would mean they could afford to move to the South. Likewise, due to the increased spending in the North, new desirable housing and attractive businesses, suddenly people from the South will want to live in the North.

Eventually, the whole of England will be even with no North/South divide!

Yes it would they would be equally unaffordable for people to live in and property prices would force first time buyers off the ladder as it has done in the South.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about the poor in the south , we aren't all rich you know
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I'll go t' foot of our stairs, I'd be able to feed me whippet on Pedigree Chum fer life.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    statistically theres more poverty in the south than in the north

and prices in the north are 33% cheaper than the south on average, so............