Options

Line Of Duty - New Series BBC2 (No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question - does this series of LoD have five or six episodes? I'm not managing to find out via Google, etc.
  • Options
    JamtartJamtart Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question - does this series of LoD have five or six episodes? I'm not managing to find out via Google, etc.

6, so another 2 to go :)
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Quite a revealing preview clip BBC one aired after "The Musketeers" tonight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Has anyone watched the clip back of when the two couriers dropped off the witness protection stuff, do the motorcycle outfits look like the ones from the prison van crash ??.

I don't know where to find that clip from to see if they resemble one another.

Or motorbikes is another obsession, just like the noisy neighbours and has nothing to do with anything :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamtart wrote: »
    6, so another 2 to go :)

Thanks very much! :)
  • Options
    scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Denton using the PNC for personal use.

She didn't use the PNC. Financial data isn't held on there. The application she made and had signed off by her boss, would have been referred to a bank for disclosure of financial data. The HR records wouldn't have been on the PNC either.
  • Options
    scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    What if it's Dryden that's being set up? With immunity from prosecution, maybe Tommy was planning on being quite selective about which corrupt police officers he outed. However, if immunity was revoked he may have decided to just reveal the identities of all the bent officers he had dealings with (he may have already revealed a few to Akers). For the officers under threat what better way to deal with it than to kill the witness and implicate the man responsible for setting Tommy off. Denton may have been one of Tommy's lot all along, in fact she may be the mastermind behind the whole plan to crucify Dryden.

just a theory :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Quite a revealing preview clip BBC one aired after "The Musketeers" tonight!

FFS, why do they do this. >:(

I am so glad I did not see it, I would have been seething because my favourite thing about this series is how I just don't have a clue what's going to happen next. I might well avoid watching the BBC "live" until LoD finishes...the morons. >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Still really enjoying this .... still so many questions ... and still not sure about Denton's role.

The discovery of the tracker gives a plausible alternative to how the original ambush occurred. However, the success of the ambush was greatly enhanced by the decision to take that curious route and that decision was solely Denton's. I'm not buying the (just about plausible) excuse that she thought there were roadworks. I still think she played some proactive role in this, though for what intended purpose I'm not sure.

I'm also not buying the coincidence of her choosing the Carly case almost at random. She knew how important Carly is to the underlying plot and has very purposely put that out in the open. Not only that, she led AC-12 directly to where there is a body (though whether the body in the garage is Carly I don't know for sure.)

To me (and I see other people on here saying the same thing or thereabouts) Denton is more involved in this than she is letting on. I think she is probably on the side of good but is being set up. Dryden is instrumental in setting her up. I think Denton probably partly uncovered Dryden's corruption during the affair.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member

I am so glad I did not see it, I would have been seething because my favourite thing about this series is how I just don't have a clue what's going to happen next. I might well avoid watching the BBC "live" until LoD finishes...the morons. >:(
    The clips are likely to surround drama programmes on BBC One I would think

It hinted at stuff rather than overt spoilers but there was a few giveaways in the clip which weren't all visual.
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    scout2006 wrote: »
    What if it's Dryden that's being set up? With immunity from prosecution, maybe Tommy was planning on being quite selective about which corrupt police officers he outed. However, if immunity was revoked he may have decided to just reveal the identities of all the bent officers he had dealings with (he may have already revealed a few to Akers). For the officers under threat what better way to deal with it than to kill the witness and implicate the man responsible for setting Tommy off. Denton may have been one of Tommy's lot all along, in fact she may be the mastermind behind the whole plan to crucify Dryden.

That's a good theory, I'd never thought of that.

On the Guardian blog there was a poster that disclosed the contents of that trailer and he was nearly crucified. It's a funny thing for me, I always liked to know spoilers for lots of other series but not this one. I enjoy all the twists and turns and never knowing where the script will take me. I too saw that trailer on the LoD website but I quickly erased it from my memory :p
    Still really enjoying this .... still so many questions ... and still not sure about Denton's role.

The discovery of the tracker gives a plausible alternative to how the original ambush occurred. However, the success of the ambush was greatly enhanced by the decision to take that curious route and that decision was solely Denton's. I'm not buying the (just about plausible) excuse that she thought there were roadworks. I still think she played some proactive role in this, though for what intended purpose I'm not sure.

I'm also not buying the coincidence of her choosing the Carly case almost at random. She knew how important Carly is to the underlying plot and has very purposely put that out in the open. Not only that, she led AC-12 directly to where there is a body (though whether the body in the garage is Carly I don't know for sure.)

To me (and I see other people on here saying the same thing or thereabouts) Denton is more involved in this than she is letting on. I think she is probably on the side of good but is being set up. Dryden is instrumental in setting her up. I think Denton probably partly uncovered Dryden's corruption during the affair.

I read somewhere else that Keeley didn't know whether her character stood right until reading the script and filming episode 6. It's probably why she's giving such an outstanding performance, you just don't know the next thing coming.

I agree with you as I posted my opinions on this before. She didn't pick Carly's case by chance AT ALL. She knew very well where it would go. BIB It didn't occur to me that she "accidentally" led them to a body but that's a really good observation. Also, the bit about her uncovering Dryden's corruption during the affair. You see, that's the beauty of this series, every single character is flawed and compromised to a certain extent, some more, some less. There's no "good cop" or "bad cop". I still don't believe she was involved in the ambush but if she's using the info she knew about Dryden as leverage against him instead of lawfully acting on it, she is as corrupt as they come. Her outstanding record (officially grassing two fellow officers) goes right against the assault on her neighbour and on Kate. You can argue that she was under stress on both situations but that's just arguable. I had one too many noisy neighbours and felt like punching them in the face, only difference is I didn't. She has a violent streak and that's not to be ignored either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scout2006 wrote: »
    What if it's Dryden that's being set up? ....

You know ... I'm starting to like this line of thinking more and more. What if Denton is actually the driving force behind all of this?

P.S. edit .... I also wonder if Dryden's sacked PR person (played by Liz White I think) isn't going to have some further role in this too. Otherwise I can't understand why that bit was included in the story. I remember thinking at the time that it was a bit random with no clear reason for it occurring or indeed its part in the storyline. Is Dryden the victim of 2 women scorned??
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,113
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    That's a good theory, I'd never thought of that.

On the Guardian blog there was a poster that disclosed the contents of that trailer and he was nearly crucified. It's a funny thing for me, I always liked to know spoilers for lots of other series but not this one. I enjoy all the twists and turns and never knowing where the script will take me. I too saw that trailer on the LoD website but I quickly erased it from my memory :p

I read somewhere else that Keeley didn't know whether her character stood right until reading the script and filming episode 6. It's probably why she's giving such an outstanding performance, you just don't know the next thing coming.

I agree with you as I posted my opinions on this before. She didn't pick Carly's case by chance AT ALL. She knew very well where it would go. BIB It didn't occur to me that she "accidentally" led them to a body but that's a really good observation. Also, the bit about her uncovering Dryden's corruption during the affair. You see, that's the beauty of this series, every single character is flawed and compromised to a certain extent, some more, some less. There's no "good cop" or "bad cop". I still don't believe she was involved in the ambush but if she's using the info she knew about Dryden as leverage against him instead of lawfully acting on it, she is as corrupt as they come. Her outstanding record (officially grassing two fellow officers) goes right against the assault on her neighbour and on Kate. You can argue that she was under stress on both situations but that's just arguable. I had one too many noisy neighbours and felt like punching them in the face, only difference is I didn't. She has a violent streak and that's not to be ignored either.

Yes, I said a little while ago that Denton's got a temper and I think perhaps it's a key factor in this. Maybe it's got something to do with Carly and Dryden. She could've found something between them, did something in one of her rages which maybe Dryden took care of it all for her because they could both be damaged by anything coming out, but she didn't know what he'd done with the body and perhaps as he'd helped her out she had to help him out with the ambush side of things. Bit far fetched perhaps :D
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    The tracker in the car might have given away the location of the safe house, but not the route of the convoy. There is still the problem of how would you get access to Akers car. It would have spent most of it's time at the safe house and they didn't know where that was.

Denton would have known that there were no roadworks remaining as she would have passed that place on the way to the safe house from the 4th Street Station.

She didn't go directly to the garage, she worked her way through a list. Perhaps she was looking out for the first abandoned garage where nobody replied to her phone call. Or was the list just a way of hiding the fact that she knew about that particular garage. Even if she had already discovered the depression in the concrete, it seems a bit of a reach to assume somebody else would notice. She hadn't seen the floor beforehand and therefore wouldn't have been able to notice the change herself.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I hadn't realised this was actually filmed in Belfast, but there do seem to be quite a high number of characters with Irish accents......
    johnnymc wrote: »
    ... ... and Scottish accents in there too!

Tommy Dryden Akers!

Im sure I heard Mercurio saying that the Beeb were keen on the series not being compared to any case situation or settings I wondered if that's why 1 and 2 have a mix of accents?
    It's absolutely shocking. There should only be English accents in it even though we don't know where it's set. Who do these Jock's and Paddy's think they are taking English jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »

She didn't go directly to the garage, she worked her way through a list. Perhaps she was looking out for the first abandoned garage where nobody replied to her phone call. Or was the list just a way of hiding the fact that she knew about that particular garage. Even if she had already discovered the depression in the concrete, it seems a bit of a reach to assume somebody else would notice. She hadn't seen the floor beforehand and therefore wouldn't have been able to notice the change herself.

All valid points ..... however .... what would you think the probability is that she ends up taking Fleming to the one geographical point which appears to categorically and explicitly link the ambush and Carly's disappearance together without herself knowing that the two are linked? If she hadn't have done that would the two cases have been linked at all? As another aside, that was also the point she proved adept at borrowing someone else's phone. Wonder whether the phone records establishing a link between Dryden and Denton's mobiles were created in a similar manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The tracker in the car might have given away the location of the safe house, but not the route of the convoy. There is still the problem of how would you get access to Akers car. It would have spent most of it's time at the safe house and they didn't know where that was.

Denton would have known that there were no roadworks remaining as she would have passed that place on the way to the safe house from the 4th Street Station.

If, like we have seen so far, Jayne Akers was really receiving money from criminals in order to leak information, they knew very well the location of the safe house. The tracker was placed to be able to follow her car in case of a transfer (like it did happen).

The garage was called A&B garage, so obviously the first on the catalogue. If you watch her again going through the yellow pages you'll see that.
  • Options
    miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know ... I'm starting to like this line of thinking more and more. What if Denton is actually the driving force behind all of this?

P.S. edit .... I also wonder if Dryden's sacked PR person (played by Liz White I think) isn't going to have some further role in this too. Otherwise I can't understand why that bit was included in the story. I remember thinking at the time that it was a bit random with no clear reason for it occurring or indeed its part in the storyline. Is Dryden the victim of 2 women scorned??

I thought this too otherwise not much point in her brief appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it Wednesday yet? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    If, like we have seen so far, Jayne Akers was really receiving money from criminals in order to leak information, they knew very well the location of the safe house. The tracker was placed to be able to follow her car in case of a transfer (like it did happen).

The garage was called A&B garage, so obviously the first on the catalogue. If you watch her again going through the yellow pages you'll see that.
    If Akers was involved, she could have told them when any transfer was going to happen or they could have told her. We still don't know how and where the threat to the witness came from. The tracker may have told them the time(eg in 5 mins) to expect the convoy, but they would still have to have known the route. Only Denton knew that. The ambush was aimed head on, not following from behind.

Denton wrote on a pad, "boyfriend into cars? garage?". She then did a search for garages in Hytheham. First one the list was "A Ashlon & Sons Service Centre", followed by "AAA Bodywork Clinic". She then phoned "Ashlon" and asked for a list of employees for the past year. There would have been no reply when ringing "A&B Carriage Repair".
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Afraid you're looking for True Detective in an East Enders script. Best to just nod to the dogs and enjoy the ride

What a stupid comment. What is it with the Septic fanboys on this thread?:confused:
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid comment. What is it with the Septic fanboys on this thread?:confused:
    They have a tank ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Akers was involved, she could have told them when any transfer was going to happen or they could have told her. We still don't know how and where the threat to the witness came from. The tracker may have told them the time(eg in 5 mins) to expect the convoy, but they would still have to have known the route. Only Denton knew that. The ambush was aimed head on, not following from behind.

Denton wrote on a pad, "boyfriend into cars? garage?". She then did a search for garages in Hytheham. First one the list was "A Ashlon & Sons Service Centre", followed by "AAA Bodywork Clinic". She then phoned "Ashlon" and asked for a list of employees for the past year. There would have been no reply when ringing "A&B Carriage Repair".

That's what's exciting about this series, so many possibilities...I may need a rewatch prior to tomorrow's episode.;-)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tracker may have told them the time(eg in 5 mins) to expect the convoy, but they would still have to have known the route. Only Denton knew that. The ambush was aimed head on, not following from behind.
    The tracker combined with a map would indicate potential routes or even actual routes if there were few roads. We only know the actual ambush occurred head on, we don't know it was planned as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    The tracker combined with a map would indicate potential routes or even actual routes if there were few roads. We only know the actual ambush occurred head on, we don't know it was planned as that.
    How would it have worked from behind? They would have had to overtake the 2nd car, leaving Denton able to call for assistance and possibly intervene. The head on tactic gave them the element of surprise. The tracker may have meant that they knew when and where the convoy turned off, but to get to the required position in such a short time is not possible. The route that Denton chose was the only one were any ambush couldn't be seen by anybody else. No houses or other cars around. If they had simply carried along on the main route they would have been almost at their destination of the 4th Street Station.