BBC North West Today Breakfast Bulletins Amateurish

Comments

• StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 8th Feb 6:25am bulletin

Where do they get their staff from ?

NWT clock graphic, as they switched from network, sound level dropped to almost inaudible, and throughout the bulletin.

After weather, main presenters mic not faded up for a few seconds.

Back to Breakfast, sound level jumped back to normal as the graphic changed.

Whatever happened to line-up ?

They have two PPM's, one for network, one for local.

So easy to match them up.

(Perhaps not)

(Not to mention yesterday, when we got BBC London bulletin for a while )

6:55am

Just the same, plus no sound over a long graphic for a few seconds midway !!

At least the presenter was faded up after the weather this time..

Then deafened as they switched back to Breakfast.

I suppose the poor line-up may be down to MCR / CAR in the building post studio, but the late fades are pure operator error.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Clock ups this Tuesday morning. 6:25am

No Clock, no name graphics.

( Equipment failure ? )

DSK ?

At least we heard the presenter after the local weather, didn't see her, but we heard her OK.

Then we got a London local presenter !

6:55am..... better.

Clock was there for a few seconds, then disappeared !

No Names.

Must be Graphics equipment failure, as the main BBC Breakfast programme, also from Salford, has no name supers or other graphics either
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning, Wednesday 17th April, all the NWT Breakfast Bulletins (four so far) , appalling sound mixing.

All three VT clips, the studio presenter mic is faded up at the start of the last sentence during each clip.

( with loud loudspeaker )

How can they not hear the very open & echoey toilet acoustic sound ?

Obviously someone is not up to the job.

This has happened before, presumably the same person in charge of the faders.

No action taken obviously.

Yet, into each clip, the presenter mic is faded out correctly.

And you would think the last words on each clip would be known.

If I can hear this at home, with their control room ( cupboard ? ) loudspeakers, they must be able to hear this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A corker this morning.

Could have been written or enunciated better.

Apparently, Yoko Ono is producing Gay Maps !!

(Actually Game Apps)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a while..... however...

North West Today

Thursday 11th July
    06:28am bulletin, we got the wrong Regions' Weather.

For East Midlands !!

Corrected for the 06:55 bulletin.

(There have been so many instances recently where the studio presenter mic has been left open during video clips, noticeable when people are interviewed outside,
    and especially the pre-recorded Weather, where it sounds like the person is in a toilet, very echoey)

Seems to be tied to a particular presenter / crew shift.

Not the one on today.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in some regions the presenter is responsible for their own sound?

I once stayed in a Travelsplodge in Southampton, so saw South today.

There was no sound to begin with, and you could see presenter feeling under the desk and twiddeling something (no jokes please) and that brought the sound up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    It's been a while..... however...

North West Today

Thursday 11th July
    06:28am bulletin, we got the wrong Regions' Weather.

For East Midlands !!

Corrected for the 06:55 bulletin.

(There have been so many instances recently where the studio presenter mic has been left open during video clips, noticeable when people are interviewed outside,
    and especially the pre-recorded Weather, where it sounds like the person is in a toilet, very echoey)

Seems to be tied to a particular presenter / crew shift.

Not the one on today.

07:55am Thursday 11th July, same day.

We were treated to BBC London for just over a minute before anyone realised, and switched to NWT !

Apology made at 08:25am
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in some regions the presenter is responsible for their own sound?

I once stayed in a Travelsplodge in Southampton, so saw South today.

There was no sound to begin with, and you could see presenter feeling under the desk and twiddeling something (no jokes please) and that brought the sound up.

Not in the North West. Someone else does the sound & vision switching.

Fiddling... More likely, the South Today presenter was adjusting the sound level in their earpiece, someone telling them of a problem.

Though some presenter positions have a "Cough Switch" which mutes the studio microphone, whilst the presenter..... "coughs`"
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I agree that it can be very amateurish at times.

Despite a few teething problems the Granada move to Salford seems to have gone, to me at least, far more smoothly than BBC NW.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will they ever get the local news clock in the same place as the main breakfast clock?
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    I've seen a few of these recently (have been over in Stockport).

I too was surprised by the rather slack production standards.

And to think I used to complain about the news bulletins at Tyne Tees 25 years ago, simply because of fader clunks and the like when switching between sources! (In reality that was just a feature of 1980s self-op studio systems, of which Newcastle was one of the noisier examples).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carol Lowe didn't look too amused,after the incorrect East Midland's weather forecast was shown at 06.28.

Not sure who's fault this was. Can't believe the forecast wasn't checked before being broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carol Lowe didn't look too amused,after the incorrect East Midland's weather forecast was shown at 06.28.

Not sure who's fault this was. Can't believe the forecast wasn't checked before being broadcast.

No, she wasn't best pleased was she !

Did you also notice how, as yet again, they faded up the presenter mic halfway through the recorded Weather insert, and it went all open & echoey, with some background chatter !

There will be Out words for the Weather.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, she wasn't best pleased was she !

Did you also notice how, as yet again, they faded up the presenter mic halfway through the recorded Weather insert, and it went all open & echoey, with some background chatter !

There will be Out words for the Weather.

Can't understand why they did away with the 'In-House' weather presenter's,such as Heather Stott. Even if they recorded the forecast,with a NWT weather presenter,it would be better than the multiple recorded forecast's,from down South. Can't think the financial saving's are much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't understand why they did away with the 'In-House' weather presenter's,such as Heather Stott. Even if they recorded the forecast,with a NWT weather presenter,it would be better than the multiple recorded forecast's,from down South. Can't think the financial saving's are much.

Heather has moved to Australia.
    At just the right time.

I think they save on having fewer Weather presenters overall in the Country

But why NWT employ Uno Who is beyond me.

She is useless, and now they have her doing inserts for the main programme !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heather has moved to Australia.
    At just the right time.

I think they save on having fewer Weather presenters overall in the Country

But why NWT employ Uno Who is beyond me.

She is useless, and now they have her doing inserts for the main programme !

Agree,concerning Eno.She must be the only forecaster to strangle the name of the County of Cumbria,so it sounds more like the Portuguese City of Coimbra.LOL.

Surely,whoever is doing the weather forecast in the main NWT at 18.30,could also record a forecast for the brief morning forecast's. They certainly were,with the forecast's in the 22.30 Bulletin's.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Budget cuts I'm afraid - if you don't want to pay any more for your licence fee, there will be cuts. Self-op'd local news is going to become more and more common.
    I'm sure they don't self-op on Granada just yet - but may in the future.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's BBC South East whose studio (one end of the newsroom) sounds horrible with more than one mic open, and don't have the manpower to staff a sound desk during breakfast opts with a presenter and weather presenter.

Apparently they tried to self op mix control but the talent couldn't cope.

The reaction to that of Peter Levy, Clare Frisby and Nigel Jay (who used to self op the entire bulletins in Leeds and Manchester operating sound and vision) isn't known
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    Budget cuts I'm afraid - if you don't want to pay any more for your licence fee, there will be cuts. Self-op'd local news is going to become more and more common.
    I'm sure they don't self-op on Granada just yet - but may in the future.

The BBC has got plenty of money. Maybe they could spend more money on local news rather then waste it on trash on BBC three and four?

All the BBC had to do is cut a few radio stations and tv channels , then the rest mainly BBC News should have remained untouched.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another problem is that the BBC regions don't reflect the news interests of the licence fee payers who live within them. The North West is way too large and should be divided in to Cumbria, Lancashire, Liverpool city region and Manchester city region - each with its own local news service. This is what would happen in the USA.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And is what is happening in the UK .... http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/local/awards/

Can I just say that in the days of analogue PAL the BBC regions did have self op desks .. The last lot using a custom control panel with different shaped buttons interfacing to a GV presentation mixer ...
    SDI came along and these were not replaced .
    .. Rather amusing as OXtel ( just then into Miranda ) maker of pres mixers built the control panel for the analogue ones
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    I bet it's not as bad as this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-07Dijq-Q
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's BBC South East whose studio (one end of the newsroom) sounds horrible with more than one mic open, and don't have the manpower to staff a sound desk during breakfast opts with a presenter and weather presenter.

Apparently they tried to self op mix control but the talent couldn't cope.

The reaction to that of Peter Levy, Clare Frisby and Nigel Jay (who used to self op the entire bulletins in Leeds and Manchester operating sound and vision) isn't known

The BBC London ''set'' is even worse with a CSO of the newsroom background (in sharp focus) and the presenter (foreground) soft focus when obviously it should be the other way round.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't the Breakfast control room have access to at least an off air feed of North West local output?

(Im guessing the 'official sources' are all set up for BBC London!)

I'm very surprised that Breakfast in Salford can't see North West output, as they're in the same building!
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    The BBC has got plenty of money.

:rolleyes: someone else who doesn't really have a clue about how big companies are run.