Options

***The Official Christmas Radio Times Countdown and Christmas TV Thread 2015***

Comments

• Options
    BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Time seems to move so quickly these days, i think its all this tec.
    No, it's going at the same pace/rate it always has:D
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I would like to see

New Years Eve 2015

10.30pm Dinner for One.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/12/tv-choice-remains-uks-biggest-selling-magazine-despite-sales-slip

Immediate Media’s Radio Times, the third biggest title in the sector, increased its print sales by 2.7% on the previous quarter but was down by 5.8% year on year to 783,042.

Im sure those sales are due to most of us on here taking up the £1 offer for 12 issues before Christmas
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say "I take it you're new here", but you've been here since 2006, so I can't. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What cover have you got in your region for Feb 28 - 6 March?

According to the RT website and email from newsstand Kevin Spacey is on the front cover talking about House of Cards on Netflix - but the Wales edition has Martin Clunes as Arthur Conan Doyle with no mention of House of Cards except on the contents pages

But the biggest boob of all is that the Wales edition has NO lisitngs for Radio Wales or Radio Cymru instead we have listings for South, South West and West stations!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    What cover have you got in your region for Feb 28 - 6 March?

According to the RT website and email from newsstand Kevin Spacey is on the front cover talking about House of Cards on Netflix - but the Wales edition has Martin Clunes as Arthur Conan Doyle with no mention of House of Cards except on the contents pages

But the biggest boob of all is that the Wales edition has NO lisitngs for Radio Wales or Radio Cymru instead we have listings for South, South West and West stations!
    I have a Wales edition with Martin Clunes AND Radio Wales and Radio Cymru.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Wales edition with Martin Clunes AND Radio Wales and Radio Cymru.

Just had an email from RT stating there are two different covers this week and that it seems i have a faulty copy which i have to send back so they can take it up with the printers
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    The BARB website now lists 28 day catch up ratings, few details here about Christmas 2014

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/365
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had an email from RT stating there are two different covers this week and that it seems i have a faulty copy which i have to send back so they can take it up with the printers
    :)

There must be someone in the South of England with a page of Radio Cymru listings to decipher. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Not surprised RT took a dip in the last quarter. It's just not worth it anymore. Such a rip off. Nobody in my family bothered to get one last Christmas.

I suggest renaming this thread 'Christmas TV Listings Countdown' at some point in the future.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LibLabCON wrote: »
    Not surprised RT took a dip in the last quarter. It's just not worth it anymore. Such a rip off. Nobody in my family bothered to get one last Christmas.

I suggest renaming this thread 'Christmas TV Listings Countdown' at some point in the future.

The RT isn't worth it each week, but at Christmas? Well, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without it.
  • Options
    the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ post 112 - in your opinion.
    I spend 2 hours every Tuesday evening reading it from cover to cover and marking up new series/films I want to record, and very much look forward to the experience.
    Great value for money at a pound an hour.
    Keep your cheap tat tv listings mags full of soap stars and z lists thanks. There may be a place in the market for those granted, but there most definately still is for the RT too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the-master wrote: »
    @ post 112 - in your opinion.
    I spend 2 hours every Tuesday evening reading it from cover to cover and marking up new series/films I want to record, and very much look forward to the experience.
    Great value for money at a pound an hour.
    Keep your cheap tat tv listings mags full of soap stars and z lists thanks. There may be a place in the market for those granted, but there most definately still is for the RT too.

OOh err! Keep your hair on! I used to be an avid RT buyer - each week religiously. I remember when it was the best read going by a long shot. I don't buy a cheap tat magazine as you call it (but it doesn't matter if I or anyone did - buying the RT doesn't make someone superior), I buy Total TV Guide which is now far more superior in its listings than RT is and is a whole quid cheaper! Clearly, all the posters in this thread have a fondness for RT, we've been posting in it for years. But, I feel (and you're correct, it is my opinion, and infact the opinion of other posters), that at £2 a week, it is a bit too much for what I want, which is after all, a magazine to tell me what's on telly and the Radio. And Total TV Guide offers that really well.
  • Options
    Sherlock_Holme2Sherlock_Holme2 Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    To me, I would like to see:

New Years Day 2016 - BBC1

6.00pm - Dr No

If BBC brought the TV rights to James Bond after Christmas Day, but it would be good if it happen.
  • Options
    the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ post 114. Buying the RT does not make me "feel" superior, but in my opinion it is a superior mag than others on the market. I read the articles in depth which as I said previously are not just about z lists and soaps. The TV listings themselves are just one part of the overall product.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember Two Doors Down from New Year's Eve 2013? its now going to be made into a six part comedy series due in 2016
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Re. is RT worth the money or not: I think it’s simply a matter of what one wants from a TV listings magazine. If I only wanted to find out what’s on television I could check the EPG on my Sky, freesat and Freeview boxes and smart TV. And/or check listings online and from a host of iPhone, iPad and Android apps. All of this would cost me nothing.

I could buy a cheaper listings magazine, but the ones I’ve seen are not to my taste. That is not to criticize or denigrate them in any way; it’s all a matter of personal preference. Mine is to subscribe to RT, which I have done for many years. It arrives every Tuesday and I enjoy it all week.

The Christmas issue is special of course, and I would buy that no matter how much it cost. Perhaps I shouldn’t admit this, but I also buy the TV Times at Christmas. It’s traditional and dates back to the days when RT only covered the BBC and TV Times covered ITV! And I do like the designs round of edges of the ‘special day’ pages in both magazines. At Easter too, and that’s just round the corner!

There’s room for all tastes I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Two Doors Down from New Year's Eve 2013? its now going to be made into a six part comedy series due in 2016

That programme made me feel very uncomfortable. A woman "raped" a man who was unconscious in the bathroom as he was drunk and it was meant to be funny. What if it were the other way round?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the-master wrote: »
    @ post 114. Buying the RT does not make me "feel" superior, but in my opinion it is a superior mag than others on the market. I read the articles in depth which as I said previously are not just about z lists and soaps. The TV listings themselves are just one part of the overall product.

I must have read your original post on one of my bad hair days! I do agree that the RT is superior to other listings magazines and I do enjoy reading it. But I can't justify paying two quid a week for it. That's why I buy the Total TV Guide as it's the next best thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Downtown Christmas special confirmed:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s183/downton-abbey/news/a634602/hugh-bonneville-confirms-downton-abbey-christmas-2015-special.html#~p6BUQSVVVV0akK

I can't see 2015 Christmas tv looking too different from 2014 unfortunately :yawn:

thank god for Sherlock :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Times confirms that Harry Hill will return this Christmas with another Professor Branestawm sory
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Radio Times confirms that Harry Hill will return this Christmas with another Professor Branestawm sory

That's good quite enjoyed the last one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    So this year's Sherlock special will be set in the 1800's and will be a stand alone special. No wonder they're all dressed in the traditional Sherlock costumes from the stories http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/sherlock-christmas-special-set-in-the-1800s.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In today's Sun on Sunday David Walliams confirms two more of his books are to be made into Christmas Specials for the BBC - Billionaire Boy will be shown this year and Awful Auntie for 2016