Claudia Lawrence-man arrested.

PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC News reporting that a fifty year old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder. No further details available as yet.

Comments

• FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't expecting that!
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    we should wait until the police charge or release him before jumping to conclusions.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! I hope they have the right person this time. I have followed this case closely and really feel for her family.

It was very strange them searching the alleyway behind her house a couple of weeks ago wasn't it? What could they possibly have found after six years? Or there some other reason behind the search?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    we should wait until the police charge or release him before jumping to conclusions.

Ha ha ha ha!

This is tongue-in-cheek, yes? Ten years at DS and you've never come across the resident DS Murder Investigation Squad?
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish there could be some conclusion to this for the sake of the family.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »

I'll be hanging on until the jury (if it comes to it) delivers its verdict.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »

It was very strange them searching the alleyway behind her house a couple of weeks ago wasn't it? What could they possibly have found after six years?

Hopefully North Yorkshire Police have found something to get this case closed, the Met. Police couldn't find their rear ends in the dark with both hands.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Wow! I hope they have the right person this time. I have followed this case closely and really feel for her family.

It was very strange them searching the alleyway behind her house a couple of weeks ago wasn't it? What could they possibly have found after six years? Or there some other reason behind the search?

Is it because they'd assumed she had disappeared on her way to work so hadn't given it much attention before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully North Yorkshire Police have found something to get this case closed, the Met. Police couldn't find their rear ends in the dark with both hands.

I hope so too. I did wonder if it was just staged for some reason, ie to make the perpetrator panic a bit or some such reason. I do tend to over-think things a bit though :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Is it because they'd assumed she had disappeared on her way to work so hadn't given it much attention before?

Daft question, but should the police 'assume' anything' when it comes to cases like this. I would have thought searching the back alley was a basic strategy. Especially when they had video footage of a bloke coming away from that area which they have had for some time but only just released.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Maybe they searched the alley to see how the suspect reacted to get a response from him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Maybe they searched the alley to see how the suspect reacted to get a response from him.

Yes, like I said earlier I did wonder if that was the case.
  • luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha!

This is tongue-in-cheek, yes? Ten years at DS and you've never come across the resident DS Murder Investigation Squad?

:D:D

Or DSMI unit as they are known by, give it time they are on their way :D
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Daft question, but should the police 'assume' anything' when it comes to cases like this. I would have thought searching the back alley was a basic strategy. Especially when they had video footage of a bloke coming away from that area which they have had for some time but only just released.

No they shouldn't but they did seem to focus on her journey to work. One would think that the alley was searched in the early stages and this search wouldn't reveal anything new, but as already said may of been about getting a reaction more than anything else.

How long have they had the video footage and why sit on it?

Apparently the scrubland at the back of the house wasn't previously searched.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/claudia-lawrences-mum-says-never-5382022
  • MaisieMooMooMaisieMooMoo Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the family finally get some answers after a terrible six years, my heart goes out to them.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A man in his fifties has today been arrested on suspicion of the murder of missing chef Claudia Lawrence.

North Yorkshire Police are believed to be searching the suspect's home in York, which will continue for several days, the force said.

But detectives said they have not found Claudia's body, who vanished on Thursday March 19 2009.

It came days after police released new CCTV footage which shows two people walking near her home on the evening she vanished six years ago.

MailOnline understands that man's arrest came as a result of that appeal.

Detective Superintendent Dai Malyn, head of North Yorkshire Police's Major Crime Unit and the senior investigating officer in the Claudia Lawrence inquiry, said: 'To ensure the investigation and legal process are not compromised or potentially damaged in any way during this critical phase in seeking the truth about Claudia's disappearance, North Yorkshire Police strongly advises the media and members of the public against identifying the man who has been arrested.

'This includes naming or publishing images of the man on traditional media platforms or social networking sites.

'I urge everyone to show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important enquiries.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3007732/Man-50s-arrested-suspicion-murder-Claudia-Lawrence.html#ixzz3VDeqQIxn

Please do not post this man's identity if found here as requested by the police.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha!

remember that other case a few years ago (Joanna Yeates), near christmas, every since that guy was arrested (the landlord), all the news papers accused him, he even looked guilty to most, but he was innocent, i don't jump to conclusions.;-)
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone from her "complex and mysterious" private life I wonder?
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so too. I did wonder if it was just staged for some reason, ie to make the perpetrator panic a bit or some such reason. I do tend to over-think things a bit though :blush:

You could be right about that
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Someone from her "complex and mysterious" private life I wonder?

Or it may be someone she never met before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    No they shouldn't but they did seem to focus on her journey to work. One would think that the alley was searched in the early stages and this search wouldn't reveal anything new, but as already said may of been about getting a reaction more than anything else.

How long have they had the video footage and why sit on it?

I think they must have had the footage for quite some time but only showed it on North East TV a couple of weeks ago. I'm not suggesting that this is the person that has been arrested. It was more a question of 'Are you this man? If so can you contact police' etc. But maybe someone actually recognised him and told police. I think the police have always played their cards very close to their chest with this case for some reason.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    The CCTV footage that was aired on TV last week apparently shows a lone man entering the alleyway behind the houses, then emerging a while(?) later.

Anyone know if that CCTV was recorded recently, or is it from 2009? (or sometime in-between?) :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    The CCTV footage that was aired on TV last week apparently shows a lone man entering the alleyway behind the houses, then emerging a while(?) later.

Anyone know if that CCTV was recorded recently, or is it from 2009? (or sometime in-between?) :confused:

I understood it to be from 2009. They must have had their reasons for not showing it before now though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »

The footage was from 2009 on the night she was killed approx 1 hour before she called her parents for the final time.

The man in question was out of view of the camera for just over a minute, so not long enough to kill her, but may have some involvement.

It was interesting to note that the police filmed all those that went to view the footage.