Options

Cats as Pets

2»

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree cats can be trained but not quite as easily as dogs and some cats never get it. Two of ours were relatively easy as they were food orientated, and another was just happy to be with people so she would do what was asked just for the cuddles. Other two were not so easy and one of the just didn't get it. Intelligence of the cats seemed to be the decider, the more intelligent the more they could learn.

But we are not talking to the level of a dogs training. They sat and came on command and walked backwards when asked. Went out when told, and would go to their bed when asked. BUT after we left was a different matter they couldn't be told to stay and remain on the spot like a dog, they would stay until they had a better offer or idea :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    So SCDchick, how have you trained cats? It would be interesting to hear from a cat expert on how to train cats :)

I thought as you are such a thoughtful cat owner who leads the path for others to follow, perhaps you could tell me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Have to agree cats can be trained but not quite as easily as dogs and some cats never get it. Two of ours were relatively easy as they were food orientated, and another was just happy to be with people so she would do what was asked just for the cuddles. Other two were not so easy and one of the just didn't get it. Intelligence of the cats seemed to be the decider, the more intelligent the more they could learn.

But we are not talking to the level of a dogs training. They sat and came on command and walked backwards when asked. Went out when told, and would go to their bed when asked. BUT after we left was a different matter they couldn't be told to stay and remain on the spot like a dog, they would stay until they had a better offer or idea :D

It sounds like you were very good in training them though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks did you read my last post - I had 5 cats I would have more if circumstances were right. I think I will stop making silly what I consider funny comments it obviously goes down like a led balloon on this part of the forum.

Sorry opps no. I will do. I've been under the weather of late and can't seem to keep with posts on here. :)

I didn't think you were being serious, our cat is a princess and we're usually at her beck and call and she knows she doesn't need to pussy foot around us to get her own way!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    My cat thinks he's a dog. :) That's to say that he follows me about, is always there to greet me, but he expects me to wait on him hand and foot while he "tells me" what he wants.

I'd say he's well disposed to living with a human.

Our cat does too act like a dog. She tells us when she wants tuna, milk or dry food or to clean her litter tray after number 2's as she goes 'ape' around the house. She will not sit on my lap until i put her cushion on me first. If I don't she will look towards her cushion and wait and then up she jumps turning her head back and forth or sideways telling me exactly where she wants to be scratched. She gets angry and sulks if we remove her blanket from the end of the bed. She's got a great little life! Her meow is our command!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cat does too act like a dog. She tells us when she wants tuna, milk or dry food or to clean her litter tray after number 2's as she goes 'ape' around the house. She will not sit on my lap until i put her cushion on me first. If I don't she will look towards her cushion and wait and then up she jumps turning her head back and forth or sideways telling me exactly where she wants to be scratched. She gets angry and sulks if we remove her blanket from the end of the bed. She's got a great little life! Her meow is our command!!!

Lol, it seems like she has you wrapped around her little paw :)
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    SCDchick wrote: »
    I thought as you are such a thoughtful cat owner who leads the path for others to follow, perhaps you could tell me :)

I don't recall claiming that cats can be trained - that was you so I was asking for some further clarification on methods you have used :confused: I don't have any methods for training cats, my cats have trained me to be the sort of owner they want.

I have stated in this thread (perhaps you should read the rest of the relevant post) that I don't believe cats can be easily trained although it seems that some can, to a certain degree, as evidenced by some posts here. Some cats are highly intelligent and reward driven but most cats will only do what they want to do at their own convenience, when they feel like it. :) My own cats have never been motivated by reward treats to do anything that they didn't want to do, unlike dogs who can be quite easily trained.

However, one of the many reasons that I am a cat lover is because of this stubborn, independent streak, cats' strong sense of entitlement and refusal to give unconditional love to the people caring for them. As I said, one needs to work hard to earn the love and trust of a cat but, once obtained, the bond is very special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I don't recall claiming that cats can be trained - that was you so I was asking for some further clarification on methods you have used :confused: I don't have any methods for training cats, my cats have trained me to be the sort of owner they want.

I have stated in this thread (perhaps you should read the rest of the relevant post) that I don't believe cats can be easily trained although it seems that some can, to a certain degree, as evidenced by some posts here. Some cats are highly intelligent and reward driven but most cats will only do what they want to do at their own convenience, when they feel like it. :) My own cats have never been motivated by reward treats to do anything that they didn't want to do, unlike dogs who can be quite easily trained.

However, one of the many reasons that I am a cat lover is because of this stubborn, independent streak, cats' strong sense of entitlement and refusal to give unconditional love to the people caring for them. As I said, one needs to work hard to earn the love and trust of a cat but, once obtained, the bond is very special.

Dogs are not that easily trained or we would have a nation of well behaved dogs, owners who put in the time and the effort with kindness and determination can end up with a well behaved well trained dog. Some people don't bother or have dogs that are beyond training as they are so damaged by previous homes. Take any puppy or kitten and you can have some success if you really put in the effort.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I feel privileged that my cat allows me to be her servant. Besides, she gives me plenty back in return - i.e suffering my constant cuddles with good grace.

The cat I have just lost was a wonderful pet - yes they are independent and aloof, but when they do give affection, it is dearly meant and that means a great deal.

Cats are the best pet in my opinion but it is very subjective as to what you want out of your animal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed instead of which is best dog or cat perhaps the question should be which is best for you or which owner is best ? JOKE again don't leap on me people !
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love cats. My cat's been my best friend since I was 13, sleeps in the bed inbetween me and my girlfriend every night, gets jealous of the other cats, follows me about, yells at my bedroom door if I go out anywhere...they're wonderful animals. Guinea pigs are pretty cool too...
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah dogs all the way for me, but it depends if you want a friend or to be merely a servant I guess.
    OK, I realise that this was a joke, but it does amaze me that people do genuinely think this way about cats. They are independent,and have great characters - but, if you treat them right and bother to get to know them, they are also loyal, loving and sensitive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    OK, I realise that this was a joke, but it does amaze me that people do genuinely think this way about cats. They are independent,and have great characters - but, if you treat them right and bother to get to know them, they are also loyal, loving and sensitive.

And have been owned by 5 I think I no what owning a cat and a dog is all about. As for bothering to get to know them ? well I think I knew then as well as my dogs at the time.

One thing I like about dogs is they can go most places with me cats just can't.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And have been owned by 5 I think I no what owning a cat and a dog is all about. As for bothering to get to know them ? well I think I knew then as well as my dogs at the time.

One thing I like about dogs is they can go most places with me cats just can't.

Maybe you just shouldn`t have cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why ? My cats were very well looked after, lived to be grand ages and were happy and healthy. What amongst that makes me a person not to have cats :confused:
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I have had 7 cats since 1996. All were different characters yet all were loving and affectionate in their own distinctive ways. There are now two who are still alive. .

I have had dogs, rabbits, horses, hamsters, mice, budgies, goldfish and tortoises throughout my childhood and early life.

I could never be without a pet of some kind and find a house without a pet is not a home.

They give you such pleasure and joy.....:):):D:D