Matt Smith - best tv actor out there?

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know he's playing The Doctor and it's a wacky role unlike a regular 'realistic' character but he brings so much to the role. I dunno, I watch some soap actors, even quality actors in dramas and they don't have the style and charm and passion he brings to his role. He must be one of the best actors out there, don't ya think? :)

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I do love the way he experiments with The Doctor, every other episode he tries something different with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno about best actor on TV,but I love how much range his Doctor has from the wacky little child through the 1200 Time Lord tired under the presure of all his life through subtly angry all the way to the few openly angry bits. And he still manages to surprise me with something new.

Also, this might not just be about Matt, but the characterozation overall, was the Doctor being all happy-go-lucky attitude last night a result of him starting to believe that Clara is just an ordinary girl (after what the psychic said and her having no idea what he was talking about when he started talking about the other Claras in Journey?)
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Great actor, yes... but the best TV actor out there? Not by a long shot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    I know he's playing The Doctor and it's a wacky role unlike a regular 'realistic' character but he brings so much to the role. I dunno, I watch some soap actors, even quality actors in dramas and they don't have the style and charm and passion he brings to his role. He must be one of the best actors out there, don't ya think? :)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt needs to leave the role to spread his wings.he is only young and has many acting years ahead of him.
  • TobyakTobyak Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Matt needs to leave the role to spread his wings.he is only young and has many acting years ahead of him.

he needs to leave immediately, preferably by being fired in to the nearest available star. i m not sure how much ore slapstick vordville dr who i can take
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is absolutely superb as the doctor and I'll be very sad to see him go.

But the best TV actor out there? At the moment, that would be one Mr Tennant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobyak wrote: »
    he needs to leave immediately, preferably by being fired in to the nearest available star. i m not sure how much ore slapstick vordville dr who i can take

Probably less than I can take of reading posts put up by people who do not know what capital letters and punctuation are.

Sorry, I don't normally comment on this sort of thing but the content of the post made it justifiable as the total lack of care in typing, for me, pretty much negates your point of view on this and quite possibly many others.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's good at what he does, but is a long way down the list of tv actors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this serious?
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think Doctor Who, since it returned, has been lucky to have three superb actors play the lead role. Each of them brought something very different and unique to the role and kept it fresh and exciting.

I must be honest and say that, unlike Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant, I've not seen Matt Smith in anything other than Doctor Who. So I don't know what he would be like playing another character.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Not a bad actor, but certainly not a 'great' by a very long way. Even among Doctor Who actors, I don't think he would rate the best (Patrick Troughton and David Tennnant have far greater proven range as actors). True 'greats' are like Derek Jacobi (forget the stuff he's in at the moment, he's entitled to one or two stinkers in his career), or Patrick Stewart. Actors like Ian McShane or even Hugh Laurie have demonstrated greater ranges and believability in both 'straight' and odd or eccentric roles on TV.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Matt as the Dr, but he's just not in the same league as CE and DT as far as acting is concerned (IMO).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    He's a brilliant actor. One of my favourites. Loved him in "Christopher and his Kind". Great stuff! Doesn't hurt that he seems super lovely, too. And being so young, one can only think he'll get better and better with time!
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's great at what he does, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I don't think he's the best actor on TV, but I think he's best actor as the Doctor out of the three new doctors, whether he's the best actor out of the three outside Doctor Who time will tell, he certainly shows promise. He was excellent in Christopher of his Kind.

I think they're all great actors, Eccleston and Smith were/are imo better at portraying the Doctor, whereas Tennant has excelled more away from the Doctor. Out of of all of them Smith has captured the weariness that comes with being an extremely old man trapped in a younger man's body the best, even when he's "clowning around" there's always something beneath it imo, you only need to watch the final episodes of Series 5 to know that. There's something special about Smith's portrayal, imo, and that's why even though I'll accept who 12 is (and not constantly hark back to Smith, or beg for his return ;)) Smith will probably always be my Doctor.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen of them in other dramas I think David Tennant and Chris Eccleston are generally better actors than Matt Smith, but he (Matt) is for me a much better Doctor than either of them.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO He's the third best actor to have played DW since the restart, so unless "out there" means within the four walls of his changing room, the answer has to be "no".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Not even close I'm afraid.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can barely watch him .
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's perfect for the role, but I wouldn't say the best actor on television. It'll be hard to replace the charm and passion though, yes. I will miss him, possibly more than I'll miss DT despite preferring 10. With 10 he kind of had a shelf life with the height of his role and his journey meaning it was about time he left, but there is something about 11 that makes me feel like I could happily watch his character for years yet. Matt's developing the character constantly, and I would say has improved incredibly with Jenna by his side. I always knew I would enjoy 11 more once Amy left, somehow.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Dont agree. But that might just be my personal preference. I just dont really like the more "wacky/zany" Dr that Smith portrays.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he has a lot of potential, though in all honesty I think I see him more in films than television in the future. He has those unconventional good looks that tend to play out well for people in hollywood. But much as I adore Matt, I can't agree he's the best tv actor atm, he is great as the Doctor and has done well in a number of other roles, but he is still a young man learning his craft at this time.
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :) Casting the youngest actor to play the Doc could have been a BIG risk, but Matt brings such variety to the role and humour. Plus, following David Tennant who was beloved for his performances was a huge act to follow.

Matt brings range, dramatic license and changes the tone of the role so rapidly sometimes, he is quite remarkable! :cool: His easy rapport with his co-stars fizzes... Long may he continue!

But then it's the nature of the show that everyone will have their own preferences & favorite Doctors... :cool:
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Must say - I'm a Tennant fan through and through.
    But Matt has made the role his own, and good luck to him. He waves his arms about a lot (but that's not acting - have you seen him on chat shows? He does the same!)
    He definitely reminds me of dear Pat Troughton (MY Doctor) in certain respects, and carries the role very well.....although he uses that Sonic Screwblaster FAR TOO MUCH! (but that's the writer's fault)

In answer to the question: NO he's not the best actor on TV.
    YES: he's a good actor :)