Was Compact the very first soap?

lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
Forum Member
✭✭
Bet that got a lot of blank looks :D
There was another one I can't remember the name of. It was about a family and their neighbours, I think.

The Newcomers! I've remembered.

Comments

• GingerMacGingerMac Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember The Newcomers more than I remember Compact.
    Maggie Fitzgibbon was in The Newcomers I believe.

Newcomers evening and Compact afternoon?

No blank look from me :)

Corrie is the oldest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watched Compact but I did watch The Newcomers. I can imagine some eye-rolling from our younger forum members now :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well the first ever soap was on radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamcake wrote:
    well the first ever soap was on radio.

What was that?
  • DippitDippit Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was called Painted Dreams, A US Radio soap that was only broadcast in Chicago from 1930, though i'm not sure when it ended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first ever soap in the UK to call itself a soap, was Crossroads.

Coronation Street was a drama serial, as Bill Roach says Granada tried for a long time to stop the show becoming called a soap. When EastEnders launched it too was called a drama serial.

The main reason Crossroads was knocked in the press was because it boasted about being a soap, based on the 'true soap format' based in the USA.

I'm not sure when 'soaps' that we know now started being called soaps, but I guess the late 1980s.

The first drama serial on ITV that ran daily was Sixpenny Corner, which was a daytime show that was only around 10 minutes long. However Crossroads is classed as the first 'proper' daily soap, due to the fact it filled a 30 minute ITV slot.

Sixpenny Corner was based in the fictional town of Springwood and revolved around a newlywed couple.

ITV daytime basically bombed, the show moved to evening and was axed in June 1956. It was created by Hazel Adair who had her fingers in Emergency Ward Ten (ITV's first medial drama series, and first popular serial on the network), Compact - the BBC twice weekly series based in a glamour magazine and Crossroads for ITV in 1964.

Thats ITV and the UK, not sure about the BBC or abroad.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps were called such as they were sponsored by soap and washing powder companies. I think the first UK soap was The Grove Family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote:
    Soaps were called such as they were sponsored by soap and washing powder companies. I think the first UK soap was The Grove Family.

drama serial, not soap. Soap was a USA thing, although I don't exactly know what the difference was really supposed to be other than 'drama serial' was thought of as not being so cheap.

There were actors who would do drama serials, but would not do 'soaps' but it is a fine line. Although some descriptions of soap is shows that run for four or five episodes a week.

None apart from Sixpenny Corner or Crossroads ran for more than two. Even old Emmerdale Farm wasn't a continuous drama serial as it was originally done in series and came and went from the schedules until about 1981.
  • lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just looked up the cast of The Newcomers. Wendy Richard was in it. I don't remember that.