Why are more and more people getting tattoos?

15678911»

Comments

• Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Lol. I feel it maybe time for me to post my picture that goes on every tattoo thread when the 'age' argument comes up:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r625/Georgina_Martin/image.jpg

The irony of that image and the statement underneath it is that tattoos have now become so commonplace that in years to come it'll be the tattooed OAP's who are in the majority. People without tattoos will actually be the ones who look different to everyone else! :D
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, it has nothing to do with 'conforming' or 'fashion'; it was a kind of spiritual decision, and was to do with taking ownership of my body.

BiB: I've posted similar sentiments in other tattoo threads and boy do I get that. By the time I got my first tattoo I had probably had around 25,000 insulin injections. I was already scarred and bruised and it made me terribly self-conscious. There's no way to make it not sound trite, but I wanted something that I considered aesthetically pleasing and that I was in control of. My poor mother cried of course, but that didn't stop me from getting another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    The irony of that image and the statement underneath it is that tattoos have now become so commonplace that in years to come it'll be the tattooed OAP's who are in the majority. People without tattoos will actually be the ones who look different to everyone else! :D

I honestly don't think that works.. Tattoos are as different as any other physical feature. I don't really identify with someone who has 'hate' across their knuckles, or a life size picture of Kid Rock across their back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I like your Maori one. :) Would never work on me - too many freckles. Would look like fish food.:D

Lol. Thnx thou hogz.
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

I think someone posted that its around 15% of the population now - but yes that is younger generations so it just means the oap home will be a place for trading tattoo stories, rather than war stories :D
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think someone posted that its around 15% of the population now - but yes that is younger generations so it just means the oap home will be a place for trading tattoo stories, rather than war stories :D

I think it's crazy how a lot of youngsters are getting them without even thinking it through properly. I know of someone who tattoos people at his home and in their own homes and he's always posting designs on facebook that he'd like to do and asking if someone will have it done as he really wants to do that design on someone, and he always gets replies from people saying they'll have it! And if no-one replies saying yes he says he'll do it for a really cheap price, just to get someone to have the tattoo. He once posted 3 designs, asking if anyone wanted one of them done. Someone replied saying they'd have design 3, and he pleaded with them to have design 2 because he really wanted to do that tattoo on someone and so they agreed straightaway to have that one instead, even though they preferred one of the others. Crazy! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    BiB: I've posted similar sentiments in other tattoo threads and boy do I get that. By the time I got my first tattoo I had probably had around 25,000 insulin injections. I was already scarred and bruised and it made me terribly self-conscious. There's no way to make it not sound trite, but I wanted something that I considered aesthetically pleasing and that I was in control of. My poor mother cried of course, but that didn't stop me from getting another.

Awww, that is quite touching. :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the US figure. I don't know about the UK.
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    That was the US figure. I don't know about the UK.

Ah ok, I suspect it'll be similar.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    See, I've no problem with piercings, tattoos, rings etc, but earlobe stretching? I don't get it... :confused:

You don't have to get it, just have to get that some people do like it.

But i'll tell you why i like it cos i think they look good (i know some people think otherwise though)
    Forum Member

But i'll tell you why i like it cos i think they look good (i know some people think otherwise though)

I've never fancied it on me, I have ear pricing but never wear earrings so it wouldn't really be 'me' but I find them fascinating. I was at a gig not so long ago at leed met and there was a guy with bigger ones than yours and I found that if I stood at the right angle I could see the band through the hole :D the band were shit so it was the best part of the night for me!
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a tattoo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They give me the heeby jeebies and I'll freely admit that, I just don't make the leap from "I don't like them" to "people who do are wrong/thick/mentally ill/scum/thugs etc." That's my problem with the anti-tattoo mob, when they can't stop themselves from making really offensive leaps of judgement on something which is a matter of taste.