Options

Have words like "racist", "bigot", and "homophobe" lost all serious meaning?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It's a regular claim which never has any evidence to be provided of it's veracity

If I said that gay people were not equal to straight people you would call me homophobic.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    You protest too much which makes your words seem inaccurate

And yet more baseless accusations
    It's not a counter slur when someone is being homophobic for example or racist which is another common bigotry unfortunately

No, he's right. It's become an almost inert thing to be labelled, although the people who like to frequently use it seem to think the opposite.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone in this thread ever heard of Social Justice Warriors? Because some of the posts are a perfect example of what they're all about. ;)
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    No, he's right. It's become an almost inert thing to be labelled, although the people who like to frequently use it seem to think the opposite.
    How is he right? You haven't posted any examples of this either, just saying he's right doesn't prove the veracity of the claims
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    If I said that gay people were not equal to straight people you would call me homophobic.
    Because then the term would be used accurately if you supported that
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

But that is technically homophobia. If you were to make that comment I'd want to know why we are not equal. Despite the marriage situation we have the same rights as anyone else :)

EDIT: but before I'd use that term I'd find out your reasoning first. I'd probably think it even if I didn't say it
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their over use does diminish the meaning, too often people who disagree with a view are accused of being 'phobic.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    How is he right? You haven't posted any examples of this either, just saying he's right doesn't prove the veracity of the claims

With all due respect, even a bit of trawling through your post history would turn up probably dozens of examples of where the use of "homophobe" is used to try and denigrate the subject. However, even mentioning your username is fraught with danger and the threat of a ban, so I'll respectfully decline.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    With all due respect, even a bit of trawling through your post history would turn up probably dozens of examples of where the use of "homophobe" is used to try and denigrate the subject. However, even mentioning your username is fraught with danger and the threat of a ban, so I'll respectfully decline.
    another untruth as i wouldn't refer to anyone as homophobic unless they have said something which is homophobic
    Probably bans are about as you shouldn't be abusing posters or something? I still need proof from you of your claims as you still haven't actually provided any