Options

The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The men's race is live. Women's was live yesterday evening on Eurosport and rebroadcast before the today's coverage of the men's race. Not sure if BBC will show highlights.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    is the coverage live?

and when do we see the womens and the ordinary people? at the moment its the mens race

The men's elite race is live now on BBC and Eurosport.......though these insert interviews are recorded

the elite women's race was yesterday..........but many of those elite women have also taken part in the amateurs race which was this morning.......so it's finished now
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The men's elite race is live now on BBC and Eurosport.......though these insert interviews are recorded

the elite women's race was yesterday..........but many of those elite women have also taken part in the amateurs race which was this morning.......so it's finished now

oh right, feel a bit of an idiot haha
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Yorkshire 1-2 . Well done Blythey!!:D

Loved Simon Brotherton morphing into Hugh Porter on the BBC commentary right at the end....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Yorkshire 1-2 . Well done Blythey!!:D

Loved Simon Brotherton morphing into Hugh Porter on the BBC commentary right at the end....

yeah........what on earth happened there !.......:D

the picture went down and went it came back it was Hugh Porter and Dan Lloyd (?)......instead of Simon and Smithy

were they doing the radio 5 coverage ?

I thought maybe the link had gone down so they just plugged in the radio 5 link......

And anyway I thought there was quite a big deal about Hugh Porter retiring a year or two ago !
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone watching the bbc today...who was that tasty looking woman next to chris boardman at ridelondon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    anyone watching the bbc today...who was that tasty looking woman next to chris boardman at ridelondon

that's Rochelle Gilmore

She's an Aussie cyclist who won the Commonwealth games road race 4 years ago

She's still listed as a rider but she's also the owner and manager of Team Wiggle-Honda which many of the top British girls ride for, incl Laura Trott. Jo Rowsell, Elinor Barker, Dani king etc
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 8 stages of the Tour of Britain will be shown live on both Eurosport and ITV

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/20140808-road-2014-Tour-of-Britain-to-be-screened-live-on-ITV-and-Eurosport-0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

oh........it's going to clash with the last week of the Vuelta ......not sure how ES are going to manage that, also means that a lot of big names are not going to be there

maybe use the 2 channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW..........Tour of Benelux starts this afternoon on Eurosport
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Contador confirmed for the Vuelta which is shaping up to be the best grand tour field this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Tour of Benelux has been a bit dull so far but the next 3 stages should be good as they're recreating a mini Spring Classics series.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tour of Benelux has been a bit dull

Yeah, it as always a tour of out-of-the-way light industrial estates and low-traffic suburban enterprise parks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the live cycling has been abandoned in favour of speedway......>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ES are just showing the end of the race in Norway before highlights of todays Benelux stage..........the commentators are saying that Thor Hushovd is expecting to announce his retirement after today's race
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Eneco stage is entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once they cancelled the live coverage I gave up on it.........but I've just noticed there's an hour highlights this morning so I might watch that as the cricket has finished.

I haven't seen the results........England F.........:D

Reminder......there's red hot live cycling action tonight with the start of the US Pro Challenge race, which I think used to be called the Tour of Colorado. It's a good race in the mountains.......todays stage is around Aspen. Start at 10pm on ES.

Some of the names taking part.........Van Garderen, Voight, Schleck F, Rafal Majka, Basso, Koenig,

Actually it's not a very good turn out of teams as there's only 5 world tour teams taking part. No Sky but there is a lower division UK team, Rapha Condor, who have 7 British riders in their line up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminder......there's red hot live cycling action tonight with the start of the US Pro Challenge race, which I think used to be called the Tour of Colorado. It's a good race in the mountains.......todays stage is around Aspen. Start at 10pm on ES.

Some of the names taking part.........Van Garderen, Voight, Schleck F, Rafal Majka, Basso, Koenig,
    It's Jens Voigt (43) last professional race. First seen in top rank racing alongside Chris Boardman at Gan in 1998!

Cavendish will not ride the Vuelta despite his earlier listing. That opens up the possibility riding of the Tour of Britain.

OPQS will be lead by Uran who is hoping to duplicate his earlier success at the Giro.

After being dropped late from Garmin Sharp Tour team, will David Millar be confirmed as included in the Vuelta team to ride his last Grand Tour?

Gesink and Kelderman will lead Belkin for the Vuelta GC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teirnan-Locke ban confirmed today with his binge drinking excuse trashed: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/08/two-year-ban-confirmed-for-tiernan-locke-as-rider-decides-not-to-appeal/

Headlines were none-too subtle from the outset: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/jonathan-tiernan-locke-illness-doping-rumours-and-his-road-to-the-top

Revealing 2-part interview with Matt Stephens, where he explains he was an unremarkable domestic rider until his late twenties. http://youtu.be/eYpiy3ZTG6g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rob Hatch and Magnus on duty for the Colorado race
  • Options
    BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    It's Jens Voigt (43) last professional race. First seen in top rank racing alongside Chris Boardman at Gan in 1998!.....
    What a pro, tremendous respect for him and as I type who is trying to break away from the lead group in the closing kilometers!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Garmin and Canondale are going to merge......

Presumably a lot of riders looking for new teams.........and of course a world tour spot up for grabs

The guys are discussing it now on the coverage of the US race

Magnus isn't sure that any of the 2nd Div teams will want to step up.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magnus isn't sure that any of the 2nd Div teams will want to step up.......

Aren't NetApp Endura still a Div 2 team? I'm sure they would, under their new sponsor.

World Cup and World Champs track cycling schedule announced. World Cups are in Guadalajara, Mexico, on 8-9 November, London on 5-7 December and Cali, Colombia, on 17-18 January.

World Champs will be on the new track in Paris 18-22 February.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't NetApp Endura still a Div 2 team? I'm sure they would, under their new sponsor.

I'd have thought they were the obvious ones along with IAM, the Swiss team........but Magnus was saying that the financial implications are such that it might well put them off,.........particularly as they seem to get an invite to at least one of the grand tours every year anyway