Eight Pints

Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Searching through posts from the dim and distant past, I kept seeing posts that said, "we all know the difference between a straight man and a gay man is 8 pints".
Pardon my ignorance on this, but I read that as, if a straight guy can't find a straight woman while out having a drink, after 8 pints he might be seriously contemplating the alternative.
Now far be it for me to second guess any of the allegedly intelligent people on DS, and I have absolutely no problem with anyone, of any sexual orientation, but personally I don't drink beer, yet I cannot conceive of 18 double Absoluts, or even a Nebuchadnezzar of Veuve Cliquot persuading me to try homosexuality.
Did I miss a meeting?
Has this ever happened to any guy on DS, and if so, are you happy to share the tale?

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume the ability to drink 8 pints is just a cliched reference to "real" men?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I assume the ability to drink 8 pints is just a cliched reference to "real" men?

:o slightly alarming for me as a twelve pinter :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does happen. I don't have personal experience (I'm in a monogamous relationship) but many gay friends I know have. I'm no more likely to have sex with a woman after too much booze, so some of us are very fixed in our sexuality. Gay and straight. Others though, are more fluid and, if curious, a few drinks will likely lower their inhibitions.

I've also picked up on vibes from one or two married male friends that they might be interested in me. Probably just to see what it's like. I don't know. I've never acted on those moments.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After 8 pints, I'd be too f**ked to actually do any kind of, ahem, f**king, gay or straight!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you follow the gospel of Sid The Sexist, it's 10 pints for a piss!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You fall into the "She's a really good bloke" category :D
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    After 8 pints, I'd be too f**ked to actually do any kind of, ahem, f**king, gay or straight!

Put me in this category too:D
    Forum Member
    You fall into the "She's a really good bloke" category :D

:D yeah, you`re right, i drink the boys under the table unless they`re charlied up, i must metabolise alcohol quite quickly in comparison because i don`t do any uppers these days.
  • SpasmodicSpasmodic Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I've always known it as the difference being four pints of lager. it's a cheeky reference to the lowering of inhibitions and sexual practice being on a scale. It doesn't make you gay, just gives the potential for being more adventurous perhaps.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spasmodic wrote: »
    I've always known it as the difference being four pints of lager. it's a cheeky reference to the lowering of inhibitions and sexual practice being on a scale. It doesn't make you gay, just gives the potential for being more adventurous perhaps.

Being adventurous is a long way from going against everything you've always known.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    No. It refers to beer goggles where the intake suppresses the normal filtering mechanisms, in this case to an extra level.

Personally I can say no, another bloke has never started to become a tempting alternative after a skinful. Once had to share a double bed with an acquaintance in a badly booked hotel situation; we were both relieved to wake up the following morning with the absolute maximum distance between us that 2 people in a bed can attain, both facing the opposite way and still fully trousered. A bloke? No - it just doesn't appeal.
  • SpasmodicSpasmodic Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    Being adventurous is a long way from going against everything you've always known.

Indeed, but there are some men who may be privately curious (in that they'd never admit it out loud) who do go on little adventures when they've had a few. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

I think it's unlikely that most gay men would approach a straight man unless he happened to be in a "gay-friendly" setting. If you were to be approached you could just say no thanks and take it as a compliment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Wednesday lunchtime I head into town to meet three mates for lunch and beers in a few pubs, as we do every few weeks.
    After a few hours I'll be watching them like a hawk.
    The slightest hint of a twinkle in an eye and someone will get decked!
    Any suggestion of an eighth pint and I'm outta there!
    :D
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spasmodic wrote: »
    Indeed, but there are some men who may be privately curious (in that they'd never admit it out loud) who do go on little adventures when they've had a few. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

I think it's unlikely that most gay men would approach a straight man unless he happened to be in a "gay-friendly" setting. If you were to be approached you could just say no thanks and take it as a compliment.

I'll be sure to do that.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D yeah, you`re right, i drink the boys under the table unless they`re charlied up, i must metabolise alcohol quite quickly in comparison because i don`t do any uppers these days.

Charlied up, uppers? What are the strange things you talk of?
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious post :D

I'd never heard of this assertion, and wondering as to the 'relative rate of conversion.'

Logically after 4 pints I should be bisexual - until I sober up..? :p

And I wonder what the real beer drinkers are after 16 pints..?

Double gay ?

Or just asleep upside down behind the telly..lol
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    I'll be sure to do that.

I'm personally fine with the fact that no gay man has ever complimented me thus. I doubt it happens very often, eight pints or not.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A gallon?

I throw my darts better after a gallon. Not much else.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    The most I've ever drunk is I think 7 pints (plus some shots), and on a different occasion 7 double vodkas and a pint.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just point at this thread => http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2050437 and quietly sneak out again because although I do understand the remark in the OP, it's worth being wary of such comments...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:o That's a lot more than your entire circulatory volume. Where on earth does it all go?

I'm the opposite. My heart really sinks if I ask for a cider and get given one of those vast Magners bottles the size of a blue whale. I drink and drink and drink, eventually really forcing the liquid into my protesting stomach and hoping it doesn't shoot back up again, and eventually find that I have drunk nearly half of it. :cry:
    Forum Member
    :oThat's a lot more than your entire circulatory volume. Where on earth does it all go?

I'm the opposite. My heart really sinks if I ask for a cider and get given one of those vast Magners bottles the size of a blue whale. I drink and drink and drink, eventually really forcing the liquid into my protesting stomach and hoping it doesn't shoot back up again, and eventually find that I have drunk nearly half of it. :cry:

the first four go to my eyes, after that i can play pool, as for the rest, you drink a pint and piss three :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the first four go to my eyes, after that i can play pool, as for the rest, you drink a pint and piss three :D:D

:D Lol, I'm pretty sure I have sometimes queued up outside your cubicle.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I think one of my mates tried it on with me once when we were both wasted. It definitely felt like he was seriously trying to come in for a snog, and i pushed him away and laughed it off.

Still to this day I'm not sure if he actually was trying it on or not as i cant really remember it very clearly, and its never been mentioned since.

He could well have drunk 8 pints that evening!
    Forum Member
    :D Lol, I'm pretty sure I have sometimes queued up outside your cubicle.
    I guess from the sounds you thought it was your lucky night, and there was a fireman in there with a massive hose?