does anyone know what john simm has said in interviews or twitter etc?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    He was the Master, just not for very long.

On-screen, that is, of course.
    What he got up to prior to Chameleon Arching himself is anyone's guess.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    On-screen, that is, of course.
    What he got up to prior to Chameleon Arching himself is anyone's guess.

For a few years he took on the persona of a Benedictine monk in 12th Century Shrewsbury
  • Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Oh god, I just had a flashback to Simm wearing a dress... :cry:

WTF were they thinking??

^That image haunts me too! :cry:
    I didn't think it possible for Simm's Master to get any worse, but him in that dress plumbed new depths of obnoxiousness and absurdity.
    Forum Member
    i hate, hate hate that style of 'in your face' acting though. Moriarty in 'Sherlock' was almost an exact duplicate, and I hated him too.

^Nail on head! Andrew Scott's Moriarty and Simm's Master are virtually interchangeable. 2 annoying cretins!

I wonder if it's a Moffat thing? Perhaps he thinks, "I don't want to make people fear the bad guy; I want them to feel an uncontrollable urge to SLAP him!"
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simm' s performance was putrescent, pathetic, puerile; feeble, faulty and fetid; it was dire, disagreeable, dreadful; not to mention stupid, superficial and sordid.

But IN NO WAY was it as bad as Bonnie Langford's performances of yesteryear.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more dramatic for the Master to regenerate offscreen and surprise us with his new incarnation. That has been made clear from the Missy storyline.
    ^Nail on head! Andrew Scott's Moriarty and Simm's Master are virtually interchangeable. 2 annoying cretins!

I wonder if it's a Moffat thing? Perhaps he thinks, "I don't want to make people fear the bad guy; I want them to feel an uncontrollable urge to SLAP him!"

Given Moffat didn't write the Simm master then I'd say no, it's not a Moffat thing.
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Given Moffat didn't write the Simm master then I'd say no, it's not a Moffat thing.

^True. However, Moffat's Moriarty (first appearance 2009) is clearly derivative of Simm's Master (first appearance 2007).

Interestingly, when BBC producers created the Master in 1971, he was pitched as a "Moriarty" to the Doctor’s "Sherlock Holmes."
    But while the characters are intentionally similar, it is to the detriment of both series's that they were moulded in the Scott/Simm school of acting!