Options

Pobol Y Cwm

Comments

• Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just loving this at the moment it is so much better than the other soaps shame it doesnt get more praise
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its on s4c here in wales :)

i dont watch it at all
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bizarrely I was flicking through the Sky channels and watched 10 minutes of this last night. It seemed a little difficult to get into, but then perhaps that's because I don't speak Welsh and was having to read the subtitles.

It made me go around spouting "pretend Welsh" (e.g. "doch dim dioch clych ha estedfiodd dim didd flycha estra") for about half-an-hour, because TV has a big influence on me.

I do love the way English is dropped into Welsh:

"Erioch i clostra dioch (or whatever) INTERIOR DESIGN nawim gwym dioch fa?"

:D:D

When I was a teenager my bedroom faced Wales and I could only get S4C instead of Channel 4.
  • Options
    nytramfilmsnytramfilms Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    BBCs longest running soap. Why doesn't it have a thread?
    Does nobody watch it? Has it been axed?

I saw a clip last night on BBC3 as one of the top 50 most annoying TV progs. Why? Because only Welsh speakers can understand it?

I'd never heard of it before but I don't see why it should be left out:D

It is pretty poor tho, even worse than eldorado. To be fair tho, all these tiny regional soaps are equally appaulling, hence the reason why they dont get a network showing.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on it's miles better than enders.
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resurrected thread:D
    I did watch a few episodes but I couldn't really get into it with having to read the subtitles all the time. I was missing half of what was going on.

Did they sell the pub?:)
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch. Occasionally I used to watch the subtitled omnibus edition on the weekend if there was nowt else on. But I have many Sky channels to watch now, thankfully!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    I've only watched that about twice.
    I couldn't understand the language in that either:eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    So sorry to hear so many slag this show off. Only recently got into it since the repeat starting airing at 2.30pm. I love it and for the very reason that not a lot seems to happen! It's great for sitting down with a cuppa and trying to work out who's related to who. Reminds me of the days I used to watch Take The High Road and Families in the afternoon. And to the person who complained about the "regional" soaps River City, Pobol Y Cwm and Fair City, these are soaps produced in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, which are not regions but countries in their own right and deserve their own identifiable soaps. The big three soaps get all the attention but it's nice to know that local actors and crews are being employed in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. English soaps only employ actors from these countries when they need a baddie.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »

What isn't??:p:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Muckle FluggaMuckle Flugga Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pobol is great, it's not on as much as I'd like though :cry:
  • Options
    rubypuddingrubypudding Posts: 2,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it - good to dip in and out of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have many fond memories of this soap - we were forced to watch it in school for our Welsh homework. :sleep:

It is well acted on the whole but pleasantly dull. Has there ever been a huge disaster or anything? :D
  • Options
    Muckle FluggaMuckle Flugga Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only dramatic storyline I ever saw was when Ronald murdered Chris a while back

although I speak Welsh, I find it hard to understand exactly what they are saying sometimes because they speak so fast!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    Resurrected thread:D
    I did watch a few episodes but I couldn't really get into it with having to read the subtitles all the time. I was missing half of what was going on.

Did they sell the pub?:)

*BUMP*

Quality Soap, the only one I watch. My Welsh is far better come 7:30pm on sunday when the omnibus ends...

No Meic hasn't sold the Pub. But EVIL IEUAN is trying to buy it still as a Car Park and "Y Clwb" is doing better sales wise over the Six Nations.
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish the whole Hywel/Ffion/Nesta thing would finish!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always hated Ffion, she's too whingey, even when we are meant to like her. It's a shame Mark and Dani's "Deri Deithio" scam didn't come off, I prefer the "Comic Relief" in Pobol Y Cwm to be honest.

Anti Marian is Brilliant.
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree about Anti Marian. Can't stand Dai though! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have an idea what's going on with the new head mistress and her being skint?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Well, she seems to be getting on her feet, and is (hopefully) about to snatch Llywncelyn from under the noses of Hywel and Ffion.

There will be some major ructions when Derek returns to Cwmderi. I found Anti Marian's reaction to the news of Derek's return quite unbelievable. She would be the first to gossip about it.

One strange thing about Pobol y Cwm is that the set gives the show a rather claustrophobic feel. Cwmderi is supposed to be in Carmarthenshire, yet filmed in and around Cardiff, so we never get shots of fields etc. It all feels distinctly unrural.

Great show though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I've never even heard of it :o I hate reading subtitles though because you can't watch what is happening properly, I can just about put up with it for a really good foreign film I doubt I would have the patience with a soap.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    i cant wait for tonights then special programme of the deri
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I am waiting for the omnibus. I can't imagine Meic being killed off, but I do wish that they would bring some of the old favourites back!
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Anti Marian is grand
    what meic being killed off ??????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I haven't watched it again since the start of the thread, but at least it has one now, like all the other soaps:D