Options

Olly Murs - charismatic or tosspot?

Comments

• Options
    PhoebeJeebiePhoebeJeebie Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    Hmmm not so sure, his album has just entered the chart at No 2 - ahead of JLS already :eek:

I don't think he is very talented, or anything to look at, or very likeable but he is clearly being given the right sound at the moment and it's selling. Good for him, it's just a shame more (arguably) talented singers who get signed by Simon Cowell aren't given similar treatment.

But we all know that now about Cowell.........He doesn't care about talent, he just wants something that sells.

He made his first fortune on the back of Robson & Jerome, a big hit with unchained melody......then what? They did nothing.

He's a user, he'll use poor saps like Olly until he stops selling, by which time it'll be X Factor 2011.......I'm not saying anything radical. It's gonna happen, as sure as night follows day ;)
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we all know that now about Cowell.........He doesn't care about talent, he just wants something that sells.

He made his first fortune on the back of Robson & Jerome, a big hit with unchained melody......then what? They did nothing.

He's a user, he'll use poor saps like Olly until he stops selling, by which time it'll be X Factor 2011.......I'm not saying anything radical. It's gonna happen, as sure as night follows day ;)

I wouldn't say that, exactly.

They had 3 no1 singles and 2 no1 albums :D
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member

You gave it 6 months in your first post so my reply was really to that, I don't disagree that Olly won't last long term unless he escapes that label.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marinamau wrote: »
    Nate, you can't have it both ways. If you consider getting to sing the film song is that great (which you say it definitely is) then it is down to the label, to their connections and securing the gig. So you can't say they are rubbish when they have got a great deal for him.

Joe is miles better vocalist than Olly, there is no comparison, and Joe is miles more likable. Charismatic, well, at a push they are equally charismatic.

Have you done your research on this? I mean because what you are believing is wrong information again. Sorry, it sounds like you want to believe what you want to believe and not considering the facts.

The film song has nothing to do with Syco. The monkey's at Syco didn't do anything. It's 20th Century Fox and they chose the artist, they chose the songs, and they have chosen what is on his music video (releasing those exclusive film footage). The promotion right now is from 20th Century Fox who looked to be stepping in doing a better job than the crap that Syco / Modest does. There is the diference between what 20th Century Fox has done for him and what Syco has done for him.

Syco / Modest are sh*t and that is also evident of what they have done for Shayne after 3 years of waiting (promotion and they were the ones who made the decision for that debut single and asked him to record it in the last minute) and the mess with Leona's 2nd album release.

Also, not sure if you saw, but there were no charisma from these events:
    1. his ugly reaction towards Lloyd
    * You can get a real understanding about a person's true attitude / feelings from how one conduct himself / herself live and at that moment. It was really uncalled for. Of course people are happy about getting through, but they don't just run off to care about himself.

Did you see Jedward do that to Lucie, Stacey to Danyl, Lloyd to Jamie, or Joe to Stacey? Of course not, after being happy in getting through, they pay their respect to the other person and their friends. Cheryl had to talk to him also about his behavior and Simon had to do some damage control at that time.

2. some cringey performances
    * Pretty bad and that was the majority and proven when he went to the bottom 2.

3. his strip naked for #1 campaign
    * What real artist does that?!! He did not need to do it at all, but it shows how material, pretentious and ridiculous he is. I don't see any campaign for the Saturdays, James Blunt, Pixie Lott, etc.

4. some bad attitude towards Joe (even though Joe has always been nice / supportive of him)
    *One incident was at a premiere during an red carpet interview, where an interviewer was egging him to see how he felt about Joe and after pushing him, he answer about how annoyed is he at Joe and he said yeah alright. Joe when faced with questions about Olly has never said such a thing and always positive about Olly and their "friendship".

5. him canceling a gig to be on TV where fans couldn't get their money back
    * Didn't even say sorry on twitter and what is even telling is Westlife was in the same situation but did their gig on Saturday and still had time to do the TV gig.

6. trying to pick a fight at a bar when he was drunk
    *Bad behavior and uncalled for. You don't just start a fight with someone that you just met. As*holes do that. You move on and just leave. Be the bigger person - show some class. He actually went after the manager of the bar and had to be held down and taken out because of his drunken behavior.

7. calling girls "dogs"
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...a-vickers.html - direct quote from him.

And we might as well add some of the others:
    Was listening to an interview and he's built on the naked shoot by saying that he'll let two or three fans get into bed with him if the next single gets to number one. I'll pass thanks....

...After the interview finished they went on to talk about the next topic - Lady Gaga coming off twitter, I'm sure Olly shouted 'I'm not, i'm not' then they said 'coming off twitter....for charity' :eek: if what I heard was right he sounded a bit of a knob. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nate27 wrote: »
    Tosspot.

Based on some of the things he has done (including this one):

1. his ugly reaction towards Lloyd
    2. some cringey performances
    3. his strip naked for #1 campaign
    4. some bad attitude towards Joe (even though Joe has always been nice / supportive of him)
    5. him canceling a gig to be on TV where fans couldn't get their money back
    6. trying to pick a fight at a bar when he was drunk
    7. calling girls "dogs"

I really don't know what happened to him but he is really showing his true colors now and how fame hungry he really is.

Horrible, vile creature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I'll always remember the night he was the bottom 2 on Xtra Factor. A Danyl fan called in and said to him "When you win Danyl, and you will win...". Olly reacted to this by looking like he was about to spit venom, then realised the camera was on him and started smiling.

Brilliant!
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    medulla_86 wrote: »
    I'll always remember the night he was the bottom 2 on Xtra Factor. A Danyl fan called in and said to him "When you win Danyl, and you will win...". Olly reacted to this by looking like he was about to spit venom, then realised the camera was on him and started smiling.

Brilliant!

I always felt Danyl got a lot of the negativity that Olly deserved. I didn't like Danyl's singing, but he always came across perfectly well to me. I never understood why the judges & press labelled him arrogant, whilst Olly seemed unable to do anything wrong :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Tosspot!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I feel quite indifferent towards him or his music, it's ok but nothing special. He seems extremely grateful to have been given the opportunity to follow his dream of pop stardom and therefore follows his management's recommendations by acting according to the image of "nice cheeky chappy" who will only ever compliment X-factor, Cowell & co to a point where he will only air opinions which could come out of Simon Cowell's mouth himself. Good for him to have the success and enjoy it while it lasts. Credible artist, no chance. Typical x-factor stuff really...:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His rise to fame story is on in the background and he just said "I wanna be a proper pop star. I don't want top 5 singles, I want a string of Number 1's". Oh shut up you pr*ck. He must of been suicidal on Sunday with his #4.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Jade" wrote: »
    I always felt Danyl got a lot of the negativity that Olly deserved. I didn't like Danyl's singing, but he always came across perfectly well to me. I never understood why the judges & press labelled him arrogant, whilst Olly seemed unable to do anything wrong :confused:

Danyl also performed at the festival I mentioned upthread, along with Jamie Archer. I didn't speak to any of the three myself, being on stage, but all my colleagues said that of the three of them Danyl was by far the nicest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    His rise to fame story is on in the background and he just said "I wanna be a proper pop star. I don't want top 5 singles, I want a string of Number 1's". Oh shut up you pr*ck. He must of been suicidal on Sunday with his #4.

So arrogant! I think that's the documentary where his parents claimed that he needed a number one and was sick of coming second in everything like X Factor...he wanted to be number one.
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    BP4L wrote: »

Heartwarming to see someone so grateful to be doing something they love, isn't it?
    The 'in it for the fame' thing was thrown at John & Edward a lot last year, but they've stuck with the music thing despite the fact that they could probably drop that side of things completely and still remain in the public eye. Olly is definitely the one I've always considered to be doing the show for the celebrity status.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tosspot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tosspot.

I think he's absolutely vile, and I don't like using the word "vile" lightly, either.
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Nate27 wrote: »
    Have you done your research on this? I mean because what you are believing is wrong information again. Sorry, it sounds like you want to believe what you want to believe and not considering the facts.

The film song has nothing to do with Syco. The monkey's at Syco didn't do anything. It's 20th Century Fox and they chose the artist, they chose the songs, and they have chosen what is on his music video (releasing those exclusive film footage). The promotion right now is from 20th Century Fox who looked to be stepping in doing a better job than the crap that Syco / Modest does. There is the diference between what 20th Century Fox has done for him and what Syco has done for him.

Syco / Modest are sh*t and that is also evident of what they have done for Shayne after 3 years of waiting (promotion and they were the ones who made the decision for that debut single and asked him to record it in the last minute) and the mess with Leona's 2nd album release.

They've paid him to do the soundtrack for a film. How is that going to save him from getting the chop at Syco?. His album is nearly out of the top 75 (strong possibility it's out of the top 100 at the moment)...certainly will be by Sunday.

I'm not sure how you think this all works. He is doing just as bad as Leon Jackson at the moment...following the exact same pattern and you think being featured on a soundtrack is going to make him seem less of a disastrous flop.

Syco have done the best with what they were given...he was never a popstar to begin with and Olly was. The proof is right before your eyes, really. No amount of promotion would've have changed his fate. There is no demand for Joe or his music. His management cannot force people to care about him, not radio stations, not the organisers of the big televised gigs...none!.

Leona's album went double platinum and sold 1.5 million worldwide. Shayne has proven he can sell with 2 platinum albums. He was shafted and should've jumped ship a long time ago. Has Joe even sold 100K yet?.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of watched the documentary about Olly tonight.Was looking through it most of the time.It was complete drivel & a snooze fest.Is this what the youngsters look up to today :eek::eek: What a totally uninteresting character he is :(:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartwarming to see someone so grateful to be doing something they love, isn't it? The 'in it for the fame' thing was thrown at John & Edward a lot last year, but they've stuck with the music thing despite the fact that they could probably drop that side of things completely and still remain in the public eye. Olly is definitely the one I've always considered to be doing the show for the celebrity status.

Oh isn't it just. And I agree with you about his wanting for fame; going on Deal or No Deal I think goes towards proving that.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    His performance of Can You Feel It is forever etched into my mind for all the wrong reasons. The cheesy drunken dad dancing and the tuneless vocal. Can't stand the guy.

Cringemaking - isn't it:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRiTP3E6mb4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    They've paid him to do the soundtrack for a film. How is that going to save him from getting the chop at Syco?. His album is nearly out of the top 75 (strong possibility it's out of the top 100 at the moment)...certainly will be by Sunday.

I'm not sure how you think this all works. He is doing just as bad as Leon Jackson at the moment...following the exact same pattern and you think being featured on a soundtrack is going to make him seem less of a disastrous flop.

Syco have done the best with what they were given...he was never a popstar to begin with and Olly was. The proof is right before your eyes, really. No amount of promotion would've have changed his fate. There is no demand for Joe or his music. His management cannot force people to care about him, not radio stations, not the organisers of the big televised gigs...none!.

Leona's album went double platinum and sold 1.5 million worldwide. Shayne has proven he can sell with 2 platinum albums. He was shafted and should've jumped ship a long time ago. Has Joe even sold 100K yet?.

First, 20th Century didn't just do a deal for Joe for a soundtrack. Do your research. 20th Century wanted him also for the promotional aspect as well as have him mainly be the face of Narnia in the UK - 2nd single having footage of the film, London Regent's Christmas Light, performing for the Royal Family at the Royal Film Performance, World Premiere today, have him part of the advertisement of Narnia, etc.

And there is no comparison to Leon and Joe. If you actually watched that year, it was a mess and the look on Simon's face was priceless when he won. Simon never wanted Leon and that was clearly evident. I knew that Simon did not want to having anything to do with him unfortunately.

As for Joe, as clearly evident last year, Joe won the competition without the mess and drama surrounding Leon. In fact, he was usually Top 3 and then #1 for 4 weeks straight. And he didn't even use media drama, sympathy votes, terrible dancing, etc. He went on stage to produce great performances through his amazing voice that displayed a unique tone, perfect pitching, and mature control. There is NOT one week that Joe stumbled and proved himself to be a popstar today (as evident of the votes). Something that Leon failed to do unfortunately. Get over yourself. The kid has the X Factor. He showed natural performing skills, a wonderful personality, a "popstar" great look, and one of the most amazing voices that graced that stage.

Also, Leon did not land a film deal like Joe (actually only Leona has and that wasn't even at the start of her career) as well as being signed to one of the largest modeling agency in the world, Next Model.

Another think, Joe is on the books of Creative Artists Agency (CAA) something the Leon was not. And if you don't know who they are let me help:

CAA represents A-list and emerging stars in movies, television, music, and sports. It is often cited as the leading talent agency and its clients include Meryl Streep, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Sandra Bullock, Oprah Winfrey, Julia Roberts, Steven Spielberg, and David Letterman.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Artists_Agency

Don't lie about Syco "doing the best", when it is clear they have not. Compare the promotion to Joe (or even Shayne) vs. Olly's, Alex, and Leona. They haven't given Joe or Shayne the promotional support that they deserve as winners of this competition. However, they have cleared the whole Global attack on Joe (because of the Wanted) with as you saw last week.

Also, if you think how Syco handled Leona's second album compared to her 1st was a success, then I wonder if you work for Simon. Clearly, how her 2nd album was handled was a mess. First, within just about 7-9 months of it's release, she is working on her 3rd album compared to her first released in Nov 07 and last single released in Jan 09. It's like they wanted to quickly through it away and really don't know why. Second, they released only 2 singles compared to the 5 of the previous one. Also, the mess of promotion for her 2nd single as well as her first single speaks for itself. Clearly, they were lazy with Leona's 2nd album.

And Shayne has not proved himself. It's been 3 years unfortunately. If anyone is going to be dropped first it will probably be Shayne since his album and single completely dropped. All Syco's doing too - putting him in the backburn for 3 years after being on a high (don't know what monkey decided that) and making him record and release that debut single at the last minute. It wasn't even Shayne's decision to release that but Simon's.

But anyway, unfortunately for all the popstar on Syco's book (Leona, Alex, Shayne, and Joe), they will not be dropped given that X Factor USA is on the horizon and facing the strong brand that is American Idol. X Factor would loss all credibility given that if they drop an artist at such an early stage or drop an artist from the past doing well against roster of successes that is American Idol. X Factor is now in direct competition to American Idol and Simon can't go in the US with a broken brand.

It's still too early and as proven by some artist like Alesha Dixon, Pixie Lott, Five for Fighters, etc.
  • Options
    JamieMacdonaldJamieMacdonald Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody says that Olly is a "cheeky chappy" he isn't, he is a cocky tosspot. People said that Jedward were cocky on their audition, I think that was more being cheeky as they were nervous, they never seemed cocky any other time during last year.

I find it amusing that Olly reckons he has made it, even though in a year he'll probably have been dropped by his record label and gigging around pubs in Britain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charismatic :)
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    omgwtfbbq wrote: »
    Tosspot. Everything about him makes me cringe.

Absolutely.

Cannot stand the tosspot :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omgwtfbbq wrote: »
    Tosspot. Everything about him makes me cringe.

Agree. Everything about him is awful. I can not see anything about him to redeem him at all. Most contestants that you don't like on these shows, at least you can understand what others see in them. With him, I am totally bemused. I reallly can not see anything there to like.

And don't get me started on the mockney accent. He's at least 60 miles ooutside London. Out that way, the accent is more 'ooh arr' than estuary. I live just outside the M25 and even people round here don't speak like that.

To answer the OP - 100% complete and utter tosspot
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartwarming to see someone so grateful to be doing something they love, isn't it?
    The 'in it for the fame' thing was thrown at John & Edward a lot last year, but they've stuck with the music thing despite the fact that they could probably drop that side of things completely and still remain in the public eye. Olly is definitely the one I've always considered to be doing the show for the celebrity status.

I can't help but agree. It does annoy me that John and Edward (Jedward) are still considered so arrogant and cocky from that first audition, no allowance made for them being 17, nervous and editing. Edward was in tears of shock when they went through over Lucie. Olly was punching the air with joy when he got thru and has basically admitted he's in it for the fame and money.

But some people clearly like it, his first song was kinda catchy, or did it just get played on the radio so much I was brainwashed? The 2nd one is awful though.