Options

Dexter Season 5 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    Hmm, just reading about Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter getting a divorce on the main page of DS. What's going to happen with season 6 of Dexter now?

They were already separated during this season's filming, clearly things between them are amicable. Nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    What are you saying, she was his beard?

no... not exactly. I was saying it was a mutual benefit arrangement. ;)
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    What are you saying, she was his beard?

Glowbot is trying to be funny which clearly he/she isn't. Don't pay attention to it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Glowbot is trying to be funny which clearly he/she isn't. Don't pay attention to it. :rolleyes:

actually I was trying to be subtle, not funny. They both set off my gaydar, but then so does Julia Stiles.
    It is off topic though and not relevant so ignore me. I was just saying it probably won't affect the program.
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golden Globe nominations for this year:

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

1. BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO)
    Leverage, Closest to the Hole Productions, Sikelia Productions and Cold Front Productions, HBO Entertainment

2. DEXTER (SHOWTIME)
    Showtime, John Goldwyn Productions, The Colleton Company

3. THE GOOD WIFE (CBS)
    CBS Television Studios

4. MAD MEN (AMC)
    Lionsgate Television

5. THE WALKING DEAD (AMC)
    AMC
    17. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

STEVE BUSCEMI BOARDWALK EMPIRE

BRYAN CRANSTON BREAKING BAD

MICHAEL C. HALL DEXTER

JON HAMM MAD MEN

HUGH LAURIE HOUSE

And perhaps surprising given the comments on her acting I've seen here and other Dexter discussions....
    24. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

HOPE DAVIS THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP

JANE LYNCH GLEE

KELLY MACDONALD BOARDWALK EMPIRE

JULIA STILES DEXTER

SOFIA VERGARA MODERN FAMILY
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was completey underwhelming.

- No explanation for Emily's devotion to Jordan, or any real backstory to Jordan and his change from Eugene.

- Dexter simply wanders a short distance from a murder crime scene (where he should be working) and nicks a car. He then leaves the car overturned and trashed not far from Jordan's hideout.

- Talking of Jordan and his hideout - how convenient that he was just laying in wait for Dexter. What if Dexter hadn't figured out where the hell Jordan was?

- Then for the second episode in a row Dexter easily overpowers someone despite being tied up and stunned from a crash/ taser. And where the hell did Dexter's knife come from?

- The Deb scene behind the plastic sheet was ludicrous. Utterly ludicrous.

- Quinn's plotline resolution was almost as stupid. So he acts really suspiciously, leaves his prints all over a van and records show several phone calls to Robocop shortly before he died. But because Dexter says the blood on the shoe isn't a match - he's scot-free? WTF? Seriously?

- And Lumen buggers off without making any effort to see if the relationship with Dexter could work. It almost certainly couldn't, but given they seemed pretty smitten - you'd have thought she could have made at least a token effort. Not that I'll miss her - Stiles performance was probably the worst I've seen on this show.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    - Quinn's plotline resolution was almost as stupid. So he acts really suspiciously, leaves his prints all over a van and records show several phone calls to Robocop shortly before he died. But because Dexter says the blood on the shoe isn't a match - he's scot-free? WTF? Seriously?

I don't get why people are struggling with this. Dexter is the blood guy in the Miami Police Department, why would the police not trust his analysis? Dexter probably just made out that it was Quinn's own blood (from a nosebleed?) or some blood from a crime scene that he was investigating and he'd not cleaned his shoes thoroughly or something. It's hardly a massive stretch or the plot hole that some people are trying to make out.

As for the fingerprints in the van: Liddy and Quinn were openly known to be friends (Laguerta and Deb both mention this), it's not exactly a long shot that he'd have fingerprints in his friends van now is it? Nor is it out of the realms of possibility that he made phone calls to his friend.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem like a bit of a sleight of hand. If there was never a drop of blood on the shoe, there still would have been a whole bunch of other things to investigate, but now we're not supposed to think about it anymore because we were distracted by that one clue.

There is a murder, the police suspect Quinn, then find possible evidence, then that one item of evidence doesn't pan out, and suddenly Quinn is free, the murder investigation is seemingly forgotten, and everyone is happy. From the circumstantial evidence, Quinn would have been a suspect even if he didn't have a drop of blood on his shoe, so if that turned out to be nothing that doesn't absolve him. Before Quinn was a suspect they were still planning to investigate the murder, find out who was the target of the surveillance, etc. So now they should be going back to that, which should still be a serious concern for Dexter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I don't get why people are struggling with this. Dexter is the blood guy in the Miami Police Department, why would the police not trust his analysis? Dexter probably just made out that it was Quinn's own blood (from a nosebleed?) or some blood from a crime scene that he was investigating and he'd not cleaned his shoes thoroughly or something. It's hardly a massive stretch or the plot hole that some people are trying to make out.

As for the fingerprints in the van: Liddy and Quinn were openly known to be friends (Laguerta and Deb both mention this), it's not exactly a long shot that he'd have fingerprints in his friends van now is it? Nor is it out of the realms of possibility that he made phone calls to his friend.

You've kind of answered your own question there - the blood simply wasn't that important.

And your probably right about the prints.

But the rest of the evidence, added together points a very big finger at Quinn.

- The phone calls. Yeah, friends do call each other. But it looks a bit odd when one person repeatedly calls the other and turns up dead shortly afteward. Especially when records would show that Quinn's mobile was in the same cell area at the time of Robocop's death.
    - Quinn's name was on the papers for the surveillance equipment that was in Robocop's van. Given that Robocop was suspended and Quinn had no apparent reason for booking out the kit - that would raise questions.
    - Quinn's behaviour. This is the biggest thing. How on Earth did he explain why he acted weird, clammed up and said he wanted to see his lawyer?

So it wasn't just the tiny drop of blood on his shoe that needed to be explained.

I'm not saying all of the above couldn't eventually be explained away eventually (wouldn't be easy mind) - but for him to be completely cleared in less than a day was ridiculous.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Stiles performance was probably the worst I've seen on this show.

I thought she was good but even if she wasn't she's far from the worst actor, what about Jaime Murray?

An English actress who can't even do an English accent.

For the awards:

Best Drama: Boardwalk Empire
    Best Actor: Buscemi or Cranston
    Best supporting actress: Haven't seen all these shows so couldn't pick one but hopefully not Kelly MacDonald because of that ridiculous irritating accent she does.
  • Options
    fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaime Murray was told to change her natural accent, to something "more british sounding"so I would blame the show for her accent, not her :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I thought she was good but even if she wasn't she's far from the worst actor, what about Jaime Murray?

I rewatched Season 2 last week, and Jaime wasn't as bad as I'd remembered.

And whilst I hadn't heard the story that she was told to change her accent - I'd always assumed that was the case.

I also think I'm probably more forgiving on Season 2 as it was really good - whereas Season 5 never felt right to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying all of the above couldn't eventually be explained away eventually (wouldn't be easy mind) - but for him to be completely cleared in less than a day was ridiculous.

Who says he's been fully cleared though? The only concrete evidence was the blood, that was the whole reason for Laguerta taking him into custody, once that was disproved he was probably allowed out on bail, hence him being at the party. Yeah, the other stuff raises suspicions, but the blood being disproved probably put the rest of the cops at Harrisons party at ease, they're hardly going to shun him.

As for Jaime Murray, i think she's generally annoying in everything she does, not just Dexter. She was in the latest season of Warehouse 13 and her accent was extremely grating.
  • Options
    fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the whole, I enjoyed season 5. If I had any complaint, it would probably be that I was expecting a more dramatic change in Dexter, after Rita's death. But it was a solid season - the fact it's probably not as good as the show's very best years should be seen as a reflection on how great they were, instead of us being too negative on Season 5.
    Regarding Quinn, I am sure he has not got off "scot free". His attending the party simply shows he is not under arrest. Given he's a respected detective, with no motive and given that there was no genuine evidence of his actual guilt - this is to be expected.
    But there remains the chance he will have to explain his involvement more next season.
    Season 6 promises to be as fascinating as ever, I have no idea as to how they will write the relationship between Dexter and Quinn now.
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. It all made sense to me.

However, I think the programme makers didn't emphasise enough Deb's emotional involvement with the case and her own trauma at the hands of Dexter's brother. That was the root of her admiring the 13th victim and letting them go. She would have loved to have meted out the same revenge, etc. and she was doing for the sisterhood.

My only criticism was the under use of Jonny Lee Miller. His flash of insanity in the last 30 seconds of his appearance was brilliant and it was a shame we didn't see more of that insanity during the last four or five episodes. He always appeared more like a control freak pervert than a real psychopath. We only got to see the psychopath before his life was snuffed out.

But yeah, I enjoyed and I love the new dynamic between Dexter and Quinn because Quinn KNOWS exactly what he is dealing with.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I picked up a slight inconsistency here or am I talking rubbish? At the beginning of episode 11, Lumen appears to have significant scars at the base of her neck- but they are gone by episode 12:

http://img543.imageshack.us/f/lumenscars.jpg/
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaime Murray was good in Dexter. C'mon you guys are being pretty harsh here. There's never been a bad performance in any of the guest stars.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vrooom wrote: »
    Jaime Murray was good in Dexter. C'mon you guys are being pretty harsh here. There's never been a bad performance in any of the guest stars.

Jamie Murray was the most annoying character to be in American TV in the last ten years. I almost switched off.

Shame Dexter didn't torture Lila before killing her :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vrooom wrote: »

I guess in a way she was good, we were supposed to find her annoying afterall. It's just THAT accent that annoys me, nobody but royalty speak as "proper" as that.
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I guess in a way she was good, we were supposed to find her annoying afterall. It's just THAT accent that annoys me, nobody but royalty speak as "proper" as that.

I hate the pathetic behaviour in American TV that dictates all English people must sound that way. It's ridiculous.
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Dexter simply wanders a short distance from a murder crime scene (where he should be working) and nicks a car. He then leaves the car overturned and trashed not far from Jordan's hideout.

- Talking of Jordan and his hideout - how convenient that he was just laying in wait for Dexter. What if Dexter hadn't figured out where the hell Jordan was?

- Then for the second episode in a row Dexter easily overpowers someone despite being tied up and stunned from a crash/ taser. And where the hell did Dexter's knife come from?

- The Deb scene behind the plastic sheet was ludicrous. Utterly ludicrous.

1. Leaving the car made no difference, Dexter wore gloves and left no trace of himself.

2. Not convenient, it was his plan all along.

3. Dexter also had a plan, hence the discussion with his dad about not underestimating his opponent. He had hidden the knife and attacked Chase the second he led him to Lumen.

4. Why was it ludicrous? Because she didn't look to see who it was? It was set up that way for many episodes, with Deb sympathising for the barrel girl victims and having none for killers and such. In honesty, you shouldn't be surprised by what happened, it was laid out that way from the beginning.

5. There were no prints in the van, which Vince actually mentioned. And because Dexter faked the blood results it put him away from the scene of the crime. Making phone calls was never gonna be evidence of motive.
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record, the finale didn't wow me like last season but it wasn't poor either.

It wrapped most things up nicely and puts the show on a clean slate for season 6, the writers had a tough time following up on the magnificent season 4 but season 6 won't have that.

Long live the Bay Harbour Butcher. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was completey underwhelming.

- No explanation for Emily's devotion to Jordan, or any real backstory to Jordan and his change from Eugene.

this is rather a good point though. who was she anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Regarding his car crash - surely after a crash like that there'd be some forensic evidence - hair or blood or something.